Me tau against deepstriking................help !! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me tau against deepstriking................help !!

Hi all,

I play alot against a friend who plays chaos marines and the big problem is the terminators who start to pop up in turn 2 - 4. Me with my tau army have alot of problems with this tactic. I am not talking about 1 squad of termies but a army build around acore from termies.

The situation:

I run a army ( 1500 pts ) with 2 el commanders, firewariors in devilfish ( 2 x ) , kroot squad with hounds , 2 deathrains with flamer , 2 fireknifes with markerdrone, 6 steath and 2 hammerheads. So its a mech list. In the first 3 rounds i can hold him at arms lenght but when the termies start to show their face its start to turn chaotic. Heavy flamers, melta's and close combat machines my army start to fall in pieces. Then the second wave start to move in with bikers, raptors , and marines with the suspressing fire from havocs squads. For me tau can't do anything about it. When their are some casulties many tau will run , i tried shadowsun and it was a good boost but many points for that ability. A ethereal is for me too risky and weak. When i try to flank or advance to put pressure on my enemy it will be always a fiasco because the termies will be deepstriked on the right place for a counterattack. Because i play a lot against him this results in manny losses and frustration , but i like tau so i wont give up. But i think i will go to a hobbyhouse to fight some other players to so i can win some.
    In small games i allready won some against the evil of chaos but the termies are hard for me and my noble army. Do someone have some experience with this??

Ps I started with a blood angels list for some variation and close combat : )

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah termies can be a royal pain in the butt, the best way I found to deal with them you just keep your troops mounted so they cant melt them then in your turn its return fire time!

What do you run your commanders as? personally I would recommend helio'el configuration commanders as they melt through termies like butter, worst to worst just fish of fury the offending termies 24 shots will do enough to cripple the them or at least take out a model or two

Hope this helps, and good luck!
    Last edited by Maleficorum; October 28th, 2008 at 23:36.
    Hive fleet Xiranos
    W/D/L
    11/2/0
    Legion of the Maleficorum
    21/3/5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

What do you run your commanders as? personally I would recommend helio'el configuration commanders as they melt through termies like butter, worst to worst just fish of fury the offending termies 24 plasma shots will do enough to cripple the them.
    24 Plasma shots from where? If your FoFing I can see 24 pulse rifle shots, but that alone won't take out a squad. Last time I faced terminators it took basically all my models to shoot down 5 of them, a 6th hopped back into an LRC and ran away.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whoops, edited. thanks for pointing that out.
    Hive fleet Xiranos
    W/D/L
    11/2/0
    Legion of the Maleficorum
    21/3/5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you know it takes 180 normal pulse rifle shots to take down 10 terminators for sure. :o
    With 18 markerlights you only need 108 pulse rifle shots to obliterate 10.
    Ill add more constructive comments when I find out what other armies do.
    Pray for terrible scatter is my suggesttion at the moment. Although knowing tau you've probably gotten rid of the opponents vehicles by the time the terminators arrive so a few shots that take out vehicles may do something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he has no vehicles so the only only thing i can do is some casulties but chaos will rarely run. They stay in cover till the termies arrive. I think manny tau will fall for his playstyle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

It's a hard one. I have tend to use helios commanders and a couple of fireknife crisis suits. They are my response force. With the deepstrikers there are a couple things.

1. Concentrate on one unit at a time. Wipe it out.
    2. A unit of termies can only kill one thing at a time. Feed them units and move other stuff away.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant you draw him out of cover because Tau have longer range.
    Use your two hammerheads to attack the terminators when they come in. How many terminators does he have.

It sounds like the terminators are the catalyst they come in and his army rushes forward. you have to concentrate your deployement so that you start focussed in on one section of his troops. Ideally you wnat to kill raptors or bikers they are the speed if he has no vehicles all he can do is move relatively slowly waiting for the Terminators.

He can only have a max of 3 units of terminators and a max of 3 fast attack raptors/bikes.
    Focus in on the bikers. Then kill off the raptors. use everything at your disposal. Maybe you need to have a fairer board if he can put his entire army into cover that is nearly as good as his saves.
    The termianators cant outflank in the rules sense tot he best of my knowledge. Deepstriking scatters and can have dangerous affects if scattering into impassable terrain or off the board.

Hell have to deploy his deepstrikers in circles which doesnt really prove benefitial for shooting. He cannot be lucky enough to get his units on at the right time.

What does he normally try to attack with his terminators if its your troops just get into your devilfishes and flee he cant assualt then.

If you take out his antitank thats on the board at the start of the game then aslong as you stay away from the terminators they cant do much.

It also depends on the mission quite a lot. If he has no vehicles he wont be able to manuever to objetives fast.
    Last edited by 16Ogretyrant07; October 29th, 2008 at 01:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use low AP weapons. I use Crisis Suits with Fusion Blasters/Plasma Rifles along with Hammerheads/Broadsides with railguns to take out termies.

Green Tide: 4000pts

Senior Member Spartan Command061's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Deepstrikers a quite a boon in some case, as chaos he will be forced to drip feed you units, as it is unlikely multiple will come down. Try different suit configs, either a team of burning eyes or helios will severely mess up a unit of terminators. Also a couple of large kroot kindreds can bog them down for awhile, possibly even killing them through the sheer number of attacks.

Tactics: Refused Flank. Hole up in a corner with the best fire lane (so your hammerheads can shoot, but you have cover for your shorter range elements,). Don't have the firewarriors or kroot at the front, spread them out behind a wall of tanks to prevent deep strikers from landing in the middle, and use kroot to line the outer edges of the infantry, so your precious fire warriors won't be toasted or shot underneath tanks. Even better if your enemy cannot draw LoS to your corner, as he will undoubtedly try to break you open with deepstrikers, which will result in your army focussing on one unit (wiping it out if the dice gods are willing). If he starts coming over, manouver into a position to either draw him into a kill zone, sit still and blast him when he shows his face, or move to take shots at the oncoming units (depending on what is coming over). If he has a defiler or vindicator watch out, as it will all but cripple you with ordenance.

Patient hunter: Have a bait firebase that he will want to deepstrike on (XV88's, multiple FW teams, pathfinders + XV88's is usually enough). That will attract a squad or two, at which point he will find that he's dropped into a firelane and melted by concentrated plasma fire (2 HQ's and a team of XV8's), and then mopped up with pulse rounds.
    If you want the bait team to live, try a pair of XV88's with 2 shield drones each. Expensive but a real pain to take down.

Thats all i could think of really, apart from rushing him and destroying his deployed forces before the termies show up. Out of interests sake, how many termies does he use?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast