Pathfinders - Modeling Markerlights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pathfinders - Modeling Markerlights

Ok so i have searched and searched and i have found no definitive description of what a Marker Light looks like. I hate the Pathfinder models; they just dont do it for me. However Predator certainly does, just planning out my idea before i set to work and see what people think.

The plan is cut out the handhold-bridge beneath a Carbine so it is able to be mounted on the small pad of a FW shoulder; as im using them as a base model and excluding the big pad as pathfinders dont use bulky armour. This allows me to GS a small cable directly to the FW helmet where the antenae usually go; and would allow me to provide an ammo feed (Grey Knight style) to the shoulder mounted carbine. Add in the occasional link cable/guitar string to link the back of the carbine to the backpack/helmet.

This leaves the hands free to hold the Marker Light, i have cut up a few flamers from the Crisis sprues and utilising just the cutdown Barrel to replace that standard carbine area (pictures included below in second posting).

Any opinions? People have probably seen some of my more unusual Tau modeling ideas floating about so i guess u should know what to expect by now

Just looking for something different and watching Predator i thought it might be quiet cool to have a shoulder-mounted carbine.

Mmmm... Biomatter... OMNOMNOMNOM

The Great Devourer, Intergalactic Munchies coming to a planet near you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Waits for links to pictures.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no pictures to show you, but they're easily noticed if you take a carbine that came with your fire warriors, and hold it up next to a carbine that came with your pathfinders. There's an apparatus on top of the barrel, looks like two rectangular boxes with two tubes connecting them. That's a markerlight. kinda boring, unassuming little thing for how much rear it kicks.

I encourage you to get creative though, make up your own methods. Tau are nothing if not a technologically cutting-edge race, always inventing and reinventing. Hell, look at how many experimental items exist in the codex

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

I have no pictures to show you, but they're easily noticed if you take a carbine that came with your fire warriors, and hold it up next to a carbine that came with your pathfinders. There's an apparatus on top of the barrel, looks like two rectangular boxes with two tubes connecting them. That's a markerlight. kinda boring, unassuming little thing for how much rear it kicks.

I encourage you to get creative though, make up your own methods. Tau are nothing if not a technologically cutting-edge race, always inventing and reinventing. Hell, look at how many experimental items exist in the codex
    I'm not talking about the markerlight, I know what a markerlight is, I want to see the guy's conversions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies for the late arrival.

Last few days have been pretty busy so i wasnt able to spare some time and get these pictures up, but with the last of my Yr 12 exams over i wasted an hour crashtesting my ideas and here is the work so far, its pretty rough.

Thinking for my second try i will mount the carbine onto a Kroot shoulder pad (one of those small spare ones from the sprue) and carve a small notch into the FW shoulder pad to glue it into place so it looks less... stuck-on-ish... somehow i highly doubt thats a word but it seems to describe the effect.

Hope your anticipation hasnt been in vein and thanx for the interest,
    Kaannn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Personally I think you may have just made the model look more bulky. When you described what you were doing I thought you were just going to use the small rectangular part slung under the barrel. I think that part of the weapon would make it a lot more Predatorish if were talking the movie Predator with Arnold Schwarzenegger or AVP if your too young to have seen the first. I do like the green stuffing you have to deliver the "ammo" and the flamer carbines to.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do agree with you that it is too bulky, but im wondering how to get a slimmer look without over-cluttering the model. I'm playing around with a few different versions of the handheld "Markerlight", il upload pictures in a few days when im happier with the results. Im still stuck on how to cut down the carbine for a shoulder-mounted version and keep it looking like a recognisable carbine.

Yes i have seen Predator and loved it, AVP was bearable; and i think this post would be deleted by the Mods if i voiced my opinion of AVP2...

Thanks for the feedback,
    Kaannn.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

My thought about the carbine on the shoulder, perhaps, cut the grenade launcher off the carbine, then cut the barrel portion of the carbine off the handle, and glue the carbine to the grenade launcher sideways. Then putting the ammo feed straight into the barrel portion of the grenade launcher, it'd flatten out the whole thing and kill a lot of chunkiness.

That's just my thought though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

yeah I thought the same as the others, using a smaller section would look far far better.

Another idea would be to put something on the side of the pathfinders head.

I'm thinking if any of you have watched dragonball Z (leave me alone, I've admitted it) a scouter.

Like something that comes round the side of their head and has a screen in front of where an eye would be
    "I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or I will die!" Reclusiarch Grimaldus

"Those I cannot crush with words I will crush with the Tanks of the Imperial Guard!" Lord Solar Macharius

"Hear Me Inquisitor Ordinary. Obey me. I am of the Malleus!" Inquisitor Jaq Draco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Perhaps a bit of conversion done to the area around the "Lense" on the helmet? Add wiring and some fancy gubbinz around and about it. I wouldn't extend it forward however, telescopes taped to the head will never be a good look.

Also, you could maybe "half" the carbine. Just spitballing, but when I saw this the lense thing popped to mind.
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast