I hate chaos! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I hate chaos!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I hate chaos!

Dear Librarium,

I hate chaos... To clarify, I hate my local chaos players. One in particular brings 2 full squads of terminators attached to Abadon and Typhus. These deepstrike in and just kill everything. I can not seem to mount a suitable defense against both of these at once! Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? I've been playing for a while so I have quite a few games under my belt and can easily handle anything else he can throw at me. My problem comes with the demon bomb... two special characters and 2 full squads reinforcing them... what do I do?

-D

PS I usually play paired with a sisters player against him and an IG player if this information is useful...

Last edited by Dekendo; October 31st, 2008 at 01:46.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Well, I guess the first questions would be what kind of list do you run, and are you opposed to the idea of tailoring your list. If you're trying to make a take all comers list, eldar struggle against terminators. A friend of mine used to run Lysander and a bunch of terminator squads under 4th edition rules, then switched to deathwing for 5th edition, but I haven't played him since the new sm codex came out. However, eldar are very capable of tailoring a list to take out terminators with ease:

1) Outflanking war walkers with starcannons. Your opponent can't possibly kill them before they get a shot off, plus odds are that each walker will kill 2 termies per volley. SO a squad of 3 makes a serious hole.

2) Howling Banshees in wave serpents accompanied by a doomseer. Its a lot of powerweapon attacks with reroll wounds, though they won't be much use against Typhus

3) Harlies or striking scorpions. Not as good for this as banshees, but better for an all-comers list. Harlies have rend, scorps have an unholy amount of attacks, and the exarch has a powerfist, which is always helpful.

4) A taste of his own medicine. Take Eldrad Ulthran, 10 Warlocks (one with enhance) and the Avatar of Khaine, use eldrad's double-fortune on the Avatar and the warlocks, and let him have it. Nowhere near as cheesy as Abbadon AND Typhus.

Naturally, there is still the problem of the 2 rock hard special characters, bu I think if you kept the pressure on you'd do fine. Remember that he can't charge right after deep striking, so that means you can have the fight on your terms.

Hope that helps, I've hated Chaos ever since Lash of Submission was first used on me. Horrible, unbalanced, and heesy in the extreme. Give them hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

Ah thanks for the advice. most of the ideas you had I had tried previously but they are nurgle terminators and tougher for it. Abadon gets the 5 toughness too and is even worse than typhus. It's not about fighting on my terms, it's fighting at all. I have tried every combination I could think and dislodging these is just not happening. Past just throwing his own cheese right back in his face, I don't think anything is gona work. I can try kickin it back on him with eldrad and maybe yriel... I don't have an avatar yet. I'll try slappin him around a bit with these guys and let you know how it went.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D Cannons work well vs this, and wraithguard.

Or if you want to have an Iwin buy a Cobra and watch him cry as you kill everythign with massive amounts of D cannon goodness.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x3)

Getting an idea of what kind of list you run would be helpful.

You mention that they're nurgle terminators. That means you either rely on harlequins, a seer council or you shoot 'em. Shooting them is a better strategy.

I'm not 100% on the points cost of such a unit, but I suspect it is approaching 450 - 500 points without the special character, don't expect to take them out with less than that. (Okay, I actually just looked it up, I think I'm in love with chaos termies, drop about 100 - 150 points off that estimate.)

Run a pair of wave serpents (with star cannons if you want to be nasty) and keep them near each other. when the termies drop in unload 20 fire dragons and make your opponent cry. (That should only leave one or two left after a round of average shooting.)

Alternatively, run Ulthran and the Prince of Iyanden, put them with a squad of enhance / embolden / meat warlocks.
    Last edited by ShadowcatX; October 31st, 2008 at 18:15.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seer council with eldrad and prince yriel ive found to be tough as hell.
    everything wounds on 2s, and you get 8 power weapon attacks on the charge, striking at ini 7 with yriel and 6 with eldrad if you take enhance.

pathfinders really are a pain for terminators.

war walkers with starcannons to force invulns, or with scatter lasers to go for numbers (rely on him rolling 1s)
    i reckon scatter lasers are a good bet if hes playing with guard as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combination

I have to second Recundis
    D Cannons work well vs this, and wraithguard.
    I'd definitely use a 3 D-gun battery and let him have it...Also have an Avatar for the "inspiring" ability, fortune a your unit and doom his. Counter strike with Banshees and shining spears.

Conversely you can go fast, fortune a dire avenger squad to "stick" them in place and move the rest of your army away. However, if he is running that much high point guys it should be relatively straight forward to concentrate fire on the relatively few models. Eldar have a fair amount of AP1 and 2 shots.

Focus on one, then go after the other. Try to exploit your maneuverability to stay away from the one while you're killing the other.
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I remember, in 4th edition, with Codex Craftworlds, I ran a 2000 pts list based on 3 sixes of Fire Dragons in Falcons and 3 tens in Serpents. I do not remember any terminators past 2 weeks of regular playing in local shop.

Fire Dragons are answer. I used them as anti-infantry unit, as they work well as such. + many, I mean 4-6 or even more Warlocks with Destructor hitting Doomed unit of Terminators are going to wreak Havoc, especially when Termies are sticking together. If you can then help with Dragunov commando and charge later, I don't think there will be lot left to clean for Sisters.

Of course be wise, it's a lot of ponits, but not even as nearly as the enemy spents.
    However, remember about Transports.

+ Reply to Thread