DE Special Characters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DE Special Characters

Hi guys
    Was just wondering which, if any, of the DE special characters people like to field?
    I'm a bit dubious about some of them to be honest. Vect seems like a bit of a fragile option as he's "built in" to his ravager, can't quite see the point of Kruellagh and Lileith would be cool but I don't really fancy running a wych cult.
    The other 3 seem like better prospects to me. I like the idea of Urien's auto-wounding destructor (that could really tear through that pesky power armour), just a shame he has to be taken with an Archon as I'd like to use him as a coven leader. Drazhar and Decapitator sound kinda funky too but neither of them exactly strike me as game-winners.
    I'm quite willing to believe there's a few things I'm missing/getting wrong here and would be glad to hear what they are

Nurse by day, Haemonculus by night

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I think you have a good feel for our special characters. Here are my feelings:

Vect: If you keep him shooting and keep him out of close combat he does a decent job. 5th edition did make him better with his BS and template rules. If you want a very shooty army and like a chance to sport 4 ravagers then he's pretty good. I used him in this way and made a Tyranid player quit in the 4th turn. I also used him in the 'Ard Boyz tournament but he ended up being really fragile and not much use. Overall though, I kinda like him, he's our Dark Eldar junior dreadnaught and is only 1 killpoint too boot.

Lelith: I used her the most as I play Wych Cult alot. You can't bet the point cost and her ability to chose a drug for her retinue really makes her worth it. I think she is our best special character.

Urien: I have used this guy in 5th edition about 5 times now and I keep on putting him in my list. He's not half bad and the new retinue rules really help him out. His weapons are spectacular with the auto-wound ability and the uber-grotesques are a lot better than grotesques in close combat. He makes a neat 2nd HQ and I will be putting my Archon in with his group.

My wish for the new codex, allow him to be sported in a Coven list without an Archon. He is a "master haemonculus" but he can't lead a coven army?

Drazhar: Never used him. I am tempted but I rarely play with incubi.

Kruella: Never used her but if I did I would probably put Drahzar in with Kruella's incubi since Kruella doesn't have a shadowfield.

Decapitator: He got worse in 5th because now when he assaults a target the entire enemy group gets to move into base contact with him. In 4th, I used him as to "clip" my opponents so he would only face 2 or 3 enemy models and could survive the strike backs decently. I dunno, I like the guys story line and the mandrakes but the decap is too hard to use and an easy killpoint.

I would still encourage you try them all out so you can get a feel for them. I really didn't use any of them in my early games and I always thought when anyone sported a special character that it was "cheesy" - not so much now as our special characters aren't so powerful as the space marines or orks. Give it a shot, let us know what you think.
    Last edited by KwiKwag; October 31st, 2008 at 23:58.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Actually kruellagh doesn't need a shadow field if oyu take a retinue with her as she just counts as an upgrade character.

The real problem is that for 50 points you are getting the ability to get the extra attacks per kill she does in b2b combat. Quite useless personally. Definitely not worth it.

Characters, I've never used any of them. I own the leilith model and use her as a wych model. I like her model but I don't have the wyches to field as a wych cult and it will prob stay that way.
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

The only one I've used is Drazhar. He kills marines. Only thing is, he upps the point cost of your HQ by 90 which can hurt and usually ends up being overkill. Maybe if you used him INSTEAD of 3 incubi he would be worth it as your attacks wouldn't be reduced until he died (you lose attacks as your incubi get killed off). I see him being cool in Apocalypse though.

Also, Lelith looks awesome for the points. Too bad Wych Cults took a beating in 5th.
    Kabal of the Twilight Blade - Host of Tecpatl - Salamanders 3rd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Greetings fellow 40K minds

I do not deny the effectiveness of sporting a Special Character. They allow your army to run rings around your opponent, but also enable a visual feast both slaughterous and in appearance. However, there are some changes which I would hope to see have done to them in the next Codex, which would would be more ethical as well as mean.

Vect
    • Upgrade of Strength from 4 to 5 or 6. Each model may be equipped with power weapons, however I have seen Vect charge into close combat against a Chimera's rear armour, only to realise that it would need a 6 to penetrate on the AP roll. It failed miserably, the tank rolled on in their turn and was then assaulted by a whole squad of 6 Termies, which resulted in a "Destroyed-Explodes", and not a single Termie was killed from the blast.
    • Going into close combat in the same way as a walker gives Vect some rather good things in close combat, such as only being able to be hit on the front armor, and shaken results not affecting how it fights. Yet, I would prefer it if the Ravager had a front armor value of 12, and possibly a special type of close combat weapon mounted on the vehicle itself, as the only things that are attacking are the models riding it.
    Kruellagh
    • Kruellagh without a shadow field?! AHHHH! If this is the case, then she will need a planet-full of Incubi with her, to make up for the armor saves that will probably be failed, as Splata has so well put.
    • I'm being greedy here, but it would be a horror-frenzy if her Damnation grenades could fire up to 12". 6" is an insult. Hmmph!
    Lelith
    • As KwiKwag has stated well, Lelith is indeed our best special character. However, my only regret when seeing her in action is that she doesn't come equipped with Trophy Racks. Many a time I have seen Lelith and her faithful Wyches fail their Morale and fall back, only to be shot to oblivion in the next turn.
    Drazhar
    • Again the same here with Drazhar. Trophy Racks. I have heard one DE player say, "They are the one spirit. The lord can have them. Why can't he?"
    • I would like to see Drazhar more worth his points. Something on the lines of 75-80.
    Urien Rakarth
    • When I first got my DE Codex, I couldn't wait to check out Urien, as I had heard that he was absolutely killer. I looked at his wargear, and immediately noticed one thing jumping at my mind and saying "HAHA". Posioned Blades. Urien Rakarth is a 'Master Haemonculus' and he gets stuck with freakin' poisoned blades instead of a Scissorhand. Definitely needs to be changed in my eyes. It's like saying a Dreadnaught without a twin-linked lascannon, or Kharn the Betrayer without Gorechild. It was just meant to be.
    • Like Drazhar, I would say that Urien needs to cost less. We're talking in the lines of 75-90.
    Decapitator
    • I believe that there are 5 things that define Decapitator: 1. Mandrake Champion 2.Signature weapon of the same name 3. Additionally grafted limbs 4. Master Infiltrator 5. Puny Strength. Note the last one. Just add one more strength to him. Please?
    • It would be awesome if the Decapitator could incorporate a shooting weapon. Imagine seeing a blaster bore a hole through an enemy's head and then the weapon taking it as a prize. He could use the head as a fruit bowl.
    Anyway, just thought I would post my thoughts on them. But other than that, they still do a ridiculously good job. Love Urien and Lelith.

Fly High!
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I'd never noticed that about Urien before, always just assumed he had a scissorhand. That sucks for the character and isn't even fluffy
    Nurse by day, Haemonculus by night

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Vect is one of the best special/named characters in the game, granting what is essentially a fourth heavy support choice is not to be underestimated. Sure he sucks up your archon, but this leads onto....

....Drazhar, he coupled with a dracon and a few of the other incubi = a 6-7 strong unit that can be totally geared to both hero killing, squad killing and killing anything else that isn't a vehicle.

Urien is costly, but a complete monster - especially considering his weapons auto wound. Him plus some of his uber grotesques (*gasp* grotesques that are actually worth their cost) you have a unit that will beatdown on hordes very, very reliably - better than anything short of archon/dracon and incubi.

Kruellagh (sp?) has very limtied use, but she is very powerful at what she does. I'm thinking she is worth her cost versus orks and tyranids where she can get her attacks to stack massively while having some incubi to cover her. A good charge from her and about 6 incubi and you'll kill 30 boyz in two turns no problems.

Lelith is good only because she is so cheap, other than that there isn't much a normal wych lord cannot do better - being able to choose her retinues drugs is a very nice feature.

Decaptitator - I have mixed feelnigs about him, his rules are just shy of whats needed for him to actually work, though he and some mandrakes do provide some amazing harassment when used as part of a larger force. He becomes useful when you start running unusual forces that start depending on the lesser used abilities of DE.

+ Reply to Thread