Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey ya'll. I'm looking for any insight on this situation.
My Orks assault, kill everyone in the enemy's squad, and are left out in the open to get shot up by the enemy.
Some things I've been doing wrong I think:
I've thought about trying to move into cover with the post assault move, but there just hasn't been any.
- Not enough of my force is assaulting at the same time. Only 1-2 truck boyz squads get there before footsloggers get there.
- Not enough speedy. I've played fairly small games so far (1k points). 1 of my squads (30 boyz) are completely footslogging.
- My-squad/enemy-squad ratios are off. I try and max out squad numbers whenever possible. 12 truck boys Vs. 5-10 IG seems a bit overkill.
Anyway, any tips/insights on this are appreciated.
Couple of ideas.
- Try holding Trukk Boyz in reserve. Your 30man squad moves up the board causing damage and then the Trukk Boyz can zoom in to help mop up, support the line, pin a new squad, do whatever needs doing without suffering turns of shooting beforehand.
- Footslogging troops are fine, you just need to use them and your fast units in concert with each other. Again, by holding some fast things in reserve you can redirect fire onto the big squads who can soak a lot more of it - KFF Meks and Grot screens make this work even better.
- So you're saying your guys are all in one place while his are broken off into lots of little squads? Learning to plan your movement and positioning ahead of time will help and that skill comes with time. Also, fire support can help mop up little squads or force your opponent to hide them away - Lootas are very good at this.
Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.
You may be falling for a trap. Savvy opponents sometimes put out a decoy unit. They let you assault their throw away squad then lure your guys out in the open. They have their units cleverly spaced so you can't "massacre" into them.
I know this because it happened to me a couple times, and I used the same technique with some success to lure some lure genestealers into massed loota fire
My award winning Orky tale
Couldn't have said it better myself. I have 2 trukks ... 1 with a unit of Nobz and a Warboss, 1 with a unit of 12 'ard Boyz. I also have 2 units of 30 boyz (choppa/slugga0 and a unit of 20 boyz (shoot) on foot... i usually stagger them enough to cause confusion for my opponent. I usually side flank both sides with the choppa boyz, and run straight up the middle with the shoota boyz. Since the shoota boyz are bound to get to them before the choppa boyz, they get shot up pretty good.. and most of the opponents fire gets dumped into that squad (with a KFF mek in the unit for cover).
I then sweet my trukks up the middle to pick up the slack of the somewhat broken shoota boyz unit. Meanwhile.. the 2 choppa mobs are chopping through most other units.
And the look one someone's face when MORE boyz hit the table... its priceless.
Also - keep a unit of lootas.. they scare people.. and any long range weaponry will be sure to get dumped into them, giving you the much needed advantage of time to get to the enemy.
Eldar Project Log
Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points