Warfish modelling; help please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warfish modelling; help please

Ok guys, I need to model some warfish, but thinking about it, where can I get the extra SMS from? I already have my Hammerhead sorted with Burstcannons and there are not spare side-pods for the Devilfish in the box (figures... price hike and lacking all the options while marines get every option under the sun... not bitter).

Soo0. Any advice for creating warfish without breaking the bank? Bitz sites or the like?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokahrthumaniel View Post
    Ok guys, I need to model some warfish, but thinking about it, where can I get the extra SMS from? I already have my Hammerhead sorted with Burstcannons and there are not spare side-pods for the Devilfish in the box (figures... price hike and lacking all the options while marines get every option under the sun... not bitter).

Soo0. Any advice for creating warfish without breaking the bank? Bitz sites or the like?

Thanks in advance guys.
    You could just glue a pair of missile pods to the bottom of a gun drone body - those slots are sized to fit the gun drone body already. That's what I do, anyway.

Alternatively, you can come up with something a little more elaborate - perhaps a missile pod sandwiched between two gun drone bodies? Don't know if that would work but it is worth checking out.

Either way, the pod won't pivot up and down, but will still turn side to side.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

My advice for the future is to only buy Sky Ray boxes. You get all of the parts to make a Devilfish, Hammerhead or Sky Ray, and you can change the model accordingly at will.

As for your current dilemma, I'd say buy a Sky Ray box and use it as a Hammerhead/Sky Ray with Burst Cannons. Then you have extra SMS to use on your Warfish.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions, I have taken them onboard and will be acting accordingly .

Furthermore, are there any arguments for or agaiinst the Warfish that people would like to bring up?

The obvious Pro's I can think of is that it is worth the cost of two of my Firewarriors per mech unit as it gives me more weight of fire at >12" and the same <12", not requiring LOS for the Smarts. I will be running the cheap StealthWarFish set up (SMS, Burst Cannon, D pod), so the BS will not be excellent, but it will still have superior firepower compared to the standard drone set up.

So is the cost of the SMS a major draw back or am I overl ooking some negative issues concerning this configuration?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokahrthumaniel View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have taken them onboard and will be acting accordingly .

Furthermore, are there any arguments for or agaiinst the Warfish that people would like to bring up?

The obvious Pro's I can think of is that it is worth the cost of two of my Firewarriors per mech unit as it gives me more weight of fire at >12" and the same <12", not requiring LOS for the Smarts. I will be running the cheap StealthWarFish set up (SMS, Burst Cannon, D pod), so the BS will not be excellent, but it will still have superior firepower compared to the standard drone set up.

So is the cost of the SMS a major draw back or am I overl ooking some negative issues concerning this configuration?
    There is nothing wrong with a Warfish per-se, but personally I don't use them for one reason:

My devilfish are always moving, working to get my firewarriors in position. Since a devilfish cannot move and fire both of its weapons (because they are all considered main weapons), they will not both be firing. The burst cannon doesn't cost any points and the drones can detach, therefore, the standard devilfish actually has more firepower since it can move 6" and still fire all it's weapons (if the drones detach), and the drones can still detach and fire their weapons if the vehicle moves 12".

If you take a warfish then you should definitely take the vehicle multi-tracker so it can at least move up to 6" and fire all its weapons or move 12" and fire one.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

There's nothing wrong with Warfish, but compared with 4th edition Warfish, there's a whole lot that isn't right.

You can only fire all of your weapons when stationary, or 6" if you have a multitracker (a must on a real warfish).

You're not longer hit on 6's in close combat.

No contantly only ever taking glancing hits.

You're basically paying a lot of points for a light tank with a low move rate and low effective amount of firepower. It's a tank that's much better for transporting units at a cheap cost, because such units will deal much more damage than a Warfish could ever dream.

The short and skinny of it is, if you want a mass of mobile S5 AP5 shots, take a stealth squad. You get 5 more shots for the same price, plus a stealth field, wounds, and tons more versatility. Warfish are no longer worth their points.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I haven't actually played a real match yet, but I think I've found a time to use the Warfish.

I wanted to take two pathfinder teams in my army, but I found that the mandatory devilfish was a bit expensive. I decided that the marker lights were important enough, so i got the units and outfitted the devilfish as a Warfish.

Once the pathfinders disembark, if i even field them starting in the Warfish, I would just use it them for 3 things.
    1). Cover for my troops.
    2). A nuisance tank.
    3). An unfortunately point expensive distraction.
    My platform is RL, you'd be surprised at the quality of the graphics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm points taken.

I will playtest using the counts as rule a little more with my Warfish list, but I have also written in the possibility for a burst stealth team to help with anti-infantry support, which was my only real concern. You are right to point out that the stealthfield, jetpack, wounds aspect of the Stealths makes them alot more versatile and arguably more resilient than the Warfish...

All in all I am starting to see that the new vehicle movement rules are a real nerf to Tau mobile firepower without breaking the bank, so thanks forf bringing all of this to my attention.

Sokahr out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    You're not longer hit on 6's in close combat.
    You do hit on 6's in close combat against them, only if your moving it 12"+.
    Yeah, you'll only get one weapon to fire. But at least you get those valuable 6's when you move that distance for your FW's to get within rapid-fire range. Gives you that little bit more edge that way.

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

That was my point entirely, Kai-Itza, the Devilfish is much better used in 5th edition as a troop transport than as a light tank. Having a Warfish also act as a troop transport is rarely done, as it cripples either the Warfish's shooting or the Fire Warriors' shooting. Players typically either take Devilfish to transport troops, or to act as a light tank that doesn't load up a single infantry model for the entirety of the game. In 4th edition, we could move our Warfish 12", be hit only by glancing hits and hit only on 6's in close combat, and still fire 7 Bs4 S5 AP5 shots per turn! Now if we want to have similar effectiveness, the Warfish has to move only 6" to be able to fire those shots, and will be hit on a 4+ in close combat. This is severely hindered in context of the 4th edition Warfish. We used to get hit on 6's when we didn't even move, now we use normal CC vs. vehicles rules.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast