Tyrant Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyrant Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was playing a game of 40k in 40 mins and I decided to use my Tyrant Guard as my HQ choice. They didn't let me. Do I have to include a Hive Tyrant as my first HQ choice accompanied by a brood of Tyrant Guard before I can take a brood of Tyrant Guard that are indepndant from the Hive Tyrant. Basically, can I take Tyrant Guard as a one and only HQ choice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

I think they may only be taken as retinue-style troops.

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No you can't. You can only get guards if use a HT. The Codex is a bit woolly on this point since it mentions that you can take an additional brood of guards as a second HQ choice but its not clear if it means an "additional brood of guards" or an "additional HQ choice" but I think most nid players use the second brood of guards. This is also in the FAQ. GW Chapter Approved Tyranid FAQ Note: pdf format

However there is nothing n the rules to say that the HT has to stay with the guards!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't thik that the guards are able to do this.
    I thought that they are were and are only avaliable as a retinue for the hive tyrant, but then again I could be wrong.
    A friend of mine plays Tyranids and he sometimes uses the tyrant gurads as HQ.
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

IIRC, tyrant guards can't be taken solo, without a tyrant, but once you do have a tyrant, and the guards, they can leave him (or he them, if he has wings for instance), and they can even move to protect another monstrious creature, such as the Carnifex.

and yes, the rules are rubbishly vague on this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HEY GUYS...
    I just love how guards have their whips and shields...yeah it really fits in with the alien bug theme doesnt it? :ph34r:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

CryogenFX, you're almost right, the first squad must be with a hive tyrant and can't leave him, but a second squad doesn't have to have a hive tyrant with them, it's an option.
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close, but no cigar.

Tyrant Guard can always leave their Tyrant if they want, its a feature of being a TMC. The Tyrant guard can be picked as an HQ only if you have a Tyrant and Tyrant Guard as the first HQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're more or less there, but I think woolly is definitely the word for the rules at this point.

You can have one brood of Tyrant Guard if:

-You have an alternative first HQ choice (ie Hive Tyrant. I'm unsure as to whether warriors count or not, but they probably don't.)

-You can use these both as one HQ squad if you purchase them with the Tyrant, but if they're not staying with the Tyrant, then they are a second, separate choice.

You can have two broods of Tyrant Guard if:

-You have a Hive Tyrant as your first HQ choice and you buy one brood with him as a retinue (which he can leave and rejoin as he pleases.)

-You have two Hive Tyrants, each with their own Tyrant guards.

-You have no other HQ choices, so your first choice is HTyrant + Guard, the second is Guard on their own. This group of guard can go join your Carnifex/OOE/Red Terror.

I am unsure as to whether the Guards purchased with the intention of guarding Hive Tyrants (so they become one choice) are allowed to depart and join other TMCs. Rules wise, I think they can, but it seems to me like this would be a cheeky way of gathering 4 HQ choices in one army.

Hope that is accurate, makes sense and helps. Any clarifications on that last point would be great.

-=Count Jasper=-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tyranid FAQ on Games Workshop specifically states that the guard can leave the Tyrant.

The rules are a bit vague, but you absolutely positively need at least one Tyrant as the first HQ choice. I tend to think you also need to include one Tyrant Guard there before you buy a second, unattached Tyrant Guard, but thats where the rules get vague.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast