Defeating Piles of Orks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defeating Piles of Orks

In joyous happenstance, My fiancee has started plaing 40K with me. She's kinda taken over my Ork Army. Now I've no objections, I've got my 'nids here and I need to find a way to at least come in closer to even. Last game at 500 pts went badly. Two squads of boys overran almost everything (piles of rippers instakilled by Nobz, Genestealers torn through by piles of boyz, my malanthrope at the end being beat on by a bunch of boyz and a powerklawed nob), rrrr...

Malanthrope looked downright pathetic, on his side, whining "get em' off me, get 'em off me..."

Orks aren't a army (despite my playing one), they're a bunch of bullies.

Now with 'nids, no templates to clear packs of boyz out, and firepower is more geared for marine killing. Sniper-fexes? I do have a pile of Devi-fexes and a VC-TL Dev Tyrant.

Or would it be "pray for a not-annihilation and take piles and piles of WON Gaunts"? I need ideas and tactics, 'cause orks do what I do, only better!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Tyranids, for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

he he, you lost XD.
    just use a bunch of them devourere thingies

Shadow
    W/D/L Rumpin' BackThumpa's WAAAGH, 38/3/21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Nids have two template weapons. The BS and death-spitter. Both work very well in taking out nids.

I have to ask, why are you taking a malanthrope in a 500 point game?

5th edition is really a shooting game. I find a flyrant w/ devourers works wonders against anything. Barbed Stranglers are great, plus it pins. Deathspitters even work well. Just shoot the orcs to ribbons, it works well for me!

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

get a fex or two with barbed strangler or a tyrant with vc strangler. you have a great advantage in fleet over the orks. Deny them the charge allways. play your strengths don't try to outdo orks with numbers or cc. Nids have been overtaken in the swarm cc league by orks adapt adapt adapt. and good luck and have fun.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Shoot them, a lot.

Don't use genestealers ... genies are meant for killing elite troops, not masses.
    Don't use rippers ... as you saw, power klaws do a number on them.
    Don't use a Malanthrope, in any size game in my opinion ... silly model, not worth it really.

Sniperfexes (vc/barbed strangler) are great, especially because they insta-kill nobs and deny feel no pain to various painboy nob squads.
    Dakkafexes, dakka warriors and dakka tyrants are all very effective (twin-linked devourers on any of them).
    Deathspitter warriors with toxin sacs are also fantastic.

Process hit it pretty well ... you want to NEVER get into combat with the boys.

Your gaunts will kill some, but then their vast # of attacks will kill a ton of gaunts, and you'll lose a ton more to the new "fearless and I lost combat" rules.

Orks don't have a lot of ways to *reliably* deal with large numbers of monstrous creatures / warriors / gaunts with ranged firepower, so set them up and use that against them. Stay back, gun them down, and when they get too close for you to do that anymore, use a "sledgehammer" tactic, and fling all your monstrous into one squad at a time, and fling all your gaunts and warriors into one squad at a time.

Since you'll always have a higher initiative with all but maybe rippers, you want to throw so many attacks at one squad each time you are FORCED to charge that you can get through to that all dangerous powerklaw, or at least eliminate most of the boys' attacks.

Effectively, it's about fire and combat concentration ... assume that you can take him by applying large numbers of squads to one of his squads at a time - both with shooting and combat - and you've got the firepower potential (if you build your list right) and speed (fleet fleet and more fleet) to make it happen.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orks have very few ap 2 weapons... and while power klaws are good, they don't do that much to the unit i have in mind....

So, hive tyrant, lash whip + bonesword, max tyrant guard and a 2+ armour save.

Lash whip means -1 to the orks attacks making them, well rubbish.
    Make sure you get the charge, less attacks to deal with and due to the large ork mobs any kill you get should add extra wounds at the end due to fearless. Back em up with a unit of 20 or so close combat guants and you will tear them a new one.

The main thing with orks is the charge, due to furious assault. Take that away from them and they are high toughness kittens, so fast assault units such as close combat guants, flying warriors, ravenors and nuclear bombs work very well.

And as for nobs... if they use powerklaws charge them with a giant horde of guants, you will go first and kill some then the nobs that strike back will not do much to your gaunts due to the low number of attacks.
    Warning this user is totally insane...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

why do you keep saying malanthrope? it freaks me out, it's called zoanthrope!

well against orks i can just say warrioirs whit devos, hormagaunts, flesborers, and raveners, and a whole lot a fexes whit BS/devos and such.
    >:[

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

well against orks i can just say warriors whit devos, hormagaunts, flesborers, and raveners, and a whole lot a fexes whit BS/devos and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by roban365 View Post

well against orks i can just say warriors whit devos, hormagaunts, flesborers, and raveners, and a whole lot a fexes whit BS/devos and such.
    There is a ForgeWorld model called the Malanthrope: Tyranid Malanthrope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kosmon View Post
    There is a ForgeWorld model called the Malanthrope: Tyranid Malanthrope
    i did knew that, but on a 500pt game!?

+ Reply to Thread