AT jetbikes? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AT jetbikes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AT jetbikes?

i've seen a few lists on LO that have jetbikes for anti tank. to me that sounds really stupid. because normaly they have shurikats, they would only be able to glance a AV10 tank on a 6. then there is the option of a cannon which is hardly better. the only thing that makes me think jetbikes could take down a tank would be a warlock with a singing spear. but why pay over a hundred points for 1 str 9 weapon that has a 12" range.

I think i must be missing something here, so could anyone please tell me what make jetbikes good against tanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x0)

Well a shuricanon against back or side armor might not be too bad. As for the warlock on the bike, don't forget charging in with a witchblade, hitting back armor with 3 S9 attacks isn't too bad. And the jetbike gives you speed and survivability.
    Last edited by Deris87; November 8th, 2008 at 02:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but thats for over a hundred points, you could get a wraithlord and have 3 attacks on the charge at str 10 with 2D6 to penetrate! sure you dont have the speed but you have 1 less wound at double the toughness. also if we presume the jetbikes have 3 jetbikes, a warlock with singing spear, and a shuricannon, thats about 120 points (sorry if im wrong im just doing off the top of my head). for that many points on a wraithlord you could get an EML aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

A big part of it is the speed of the bikes turbo boosting can get them into a good position, but a Lord may end up having to run around for a while to get clear shots. The fact that it is a troop choice that can do some AT freeing up a heavy support slot is nice also. But for me it's more for the theme, a couple of jetbikes with a warlock leading feels better for a Sam hain list than a wraithlord. Also you don't have to worry about the bikes going stupid. Some people will say that a wraithlord by itself isn't very reliable AT. I'd throw fire dragons at something if I really need it to drop.

On a similar note I've been running into my friends Monolith alot lately, with no hawks or wraithguard, witchblades are the only thing in my list that can get a pen. don't discount them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, yeah. i hadn't thought of the themes. And also freeing up a HS slot would be good.
    I dont discount SS/witchblades as good AT, i just think you need more than one if that squad is going to be a tank hunting unit. Shame we can have 2 warlocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

But we can, councils are great fun, but not very cost effective AT. They need to be smashing the enemies squads in melee, not hitting a lone tank.

In 4th I ran the 3 jetbikes with cannon a warlock with spear and destructor. It was small enough to avoid getting shot and cheap enough that the loss didn't hurt to much. Could tank hunt, JSJ and even drop a flame template on a horde. now with los blocking cover being harder to find, no target priority, and kill point missions, they don't seem to do very good.

For me they are slowly disappearing from my lists like the AT vypers I used to use, fast and can work for the job but fairly fragile. Also easier options in the codex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think of it as a more resilient tank

AT jetbikes work great. The key is the shining spear and the cannons, and getting rear armor. The warlock with conceal makes them a lot more durable too.

Your regular guys are essentially extra wounds. Think of it as a vyper or falcon that can soak several hits before having issues. I may be unlucky, but I've had my tanks get killed more often then not.

Wraithlords are great, but slow. If you can guarantee your opponent is clumsy enough to stumble into charge range then its not an issue. Most guys I know try to protect their tanks.

There is not much one can do to stop a jetbike squad from getting behind their lines. The extra 6" move also means your guys can jump into cover, further increasing their survivability.

ALSO, they are troops, and can grab objectives and the final turn. No heavy support can do that.
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

+ Reply to Thread