Drones and wound allocation - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drones and wound allocation

I'm really unsure on how wound allocation works with drones. Do they count as part of the squad? Or when attached to an independent character, do they "make" a squad?

The reason I'm asking is because shield drones are pretty much just a floating wound for a specific model. But let's say I have a battlesuit with a shield drone and they get 4 wounds. Do I put 2 on the suit and 2 on the drone, or do I roll in some different way to represent the drone shielding the suit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Q1: Yes, Drones are models which are counted as part of the squad for Morale Checks, taking wounds etc. If you check out your Tau Empire codex on P.31, you'll find it all laid out for you there.

Q2: The Commander and any attached drones form a unit of two or three models as per the Commander entry in the codex on P.32. So any wounds scored against this unit would be spread around the three models.

Q3: You allocate wounds to models, so in your case with the Suit and the Drone receiving 4 wounds, each would be allocated 2 wounds.

What you may also do in situation #3 is to allocate the nasty stuff to the Shield Drone. Say for example that 2 of those wounds were from Lascannons and the other two were from Boltguns. You would allocate the two lascannon wounds onto the Shield Drone and the two boltgun wounds onto the suit. This is perfectly legal and also helps to keep your Suit alive a bit longer!!

The idea you have of the drone intercepting all the wounds comes from the Codex Tau days when the Shield Drone did indeed get stuck in to protecting its controller. Unfortunately this no longer applies.

Hope this helped.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Vodun View Post
    I'm really unsure on how wound allocation works with drones. Do they count as part of the squad? Or when attached to an independent character, do they "make" a squad?

The reason I'm asking is because shield drones are pretty much just a floating wound for a specific model. But let's say I have a battlesuit with a shield drone and they get 4 wounds. Do I put 2 on the suit and 2 on the drone, or do I roll in some different way to represent the drone shielding the suit?
    An independent character with Drones forms a unit, this unit can join other units and is classed as part of the unit when taking wounds from shooting. The Drones are also included for the purposes of line of sight and for deciding when a unit is taking test for casualty loss.
    As for wound application then it goes as so:
    IC with two Drones, the Drones and IC are classed as different models (they have diferent stats). This means that if the unit took say 5 wounds then each model must be given one wound each before a second wound is allocated to another model. With the remaining two wounds the same applies but the owning player can now decide which models to apply the remaining two wounds to. In this case he would allocate the wounds to the two Drones (you cannot allocate both wounds to one Drone). This would mean the IC has one wound and the two Drones have two wounds each. All the saves are rolled by the models who own the wounds, in this case this means if the XV8 fails its armour save then it cannot palm of the wound to a Drone.
    If 6 wounds had been caused then the IC and the Drones would all have two wounds to roll saves against. If the controlling model is lost you remove the Drones (irrespective of if they passed their saves).

As for Drones in normal units, well unless they match the stat line of the owning model and unit then they take wounds as per above. I/E they are allocated a wound and take the save, they cannot be palmed wounds from other members of the squad with different sta lines.

As for assault with an IC with Drones attached to another unit, well the IC is classed as an individual unit, so are the Drones, and the attached unit also fight there own combat. Drones cannot be allocated unsaved wounds inflicted on an IC. In fact in close combat Drones are absolutely useless as protection for an IC. If not controlled by an IC then they fight as part of the unit but will still get allocated their own wounds as per shooting if they have different stat lines.

If an IC is attached to a unit and survives the combat the IC and the attached unit use the IC's LDS for testing for fall back etc.

It gets more complicated with units of say three XV8's and Drones but I do not have the time to go into depth today.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; November 9th, 2008 at 18:25.

+ Reply to Thread