Haemonculus with a Stinger, Exploding the Nightbringer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Haemonculus with a Stinger, Exploding the Nightbringer

Greetings fellow 40K minds (like the title)
    I have posted the exact same words in the Dark Eldar forum (I tell you, it scares me just lingering there) and was wondering on a second opinion from any necrodermis-covered players.

Anyway, I was in a bit of a situation here with a Necron player. Let me lay it out for you.

• C'Tan Nightbringer was 12 inches away from a lone Haemonculus with a Stinger after a terrible round of gauss weaponry straight to my warriors left him stranded
    • Thank the heavens it was my turn. And thank the heavens after an absolutely delightful shooting phase from the previous turn by 4 Dark Lances (courtesy of your friendly, neighbourhood Ravager and Raider), it was down to its last wound. The look on my opponent's face was telling a story. "He is a god!"
    • I decided I may as well take the risk and shoot the NB with the Stinger. I managed to hit on a 5, and being able to wound on a 2+, it was inevitable that I would wound too.
    • And wouldn't you believe it, THE NIGHTBRINGER FAILED ITS SAVE! HAH! No wounds left, and I say to my opponent, "Well, he was a god!"
    • But then something hit me, a model that dies by the effect of a stinger explodes, using a blast marker and a C'Tan that dies by the effect of its last wound explodes too, using another blast marker, or in this case a Large BM.
    Now there was time for speculation. I said to my opponent that the Stinger template should be used with the normal rules for it (ie. AP = Sv, S = T), but he insisted that the original "C'Tan Bomb" be used.
    And my question: who is right? Me? Him? Or are both templates used? Or worst case scenario, none?
    Any ideas would be good!
    Also, if there is something I am overlooking here, then I would like to know, such as a rule or special rule.

Fly High!

Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never heard of a c'tan blowing up.
    Army » « Necrons » « Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 27 under Necrodermis. He does not use the blast marker to deal the wounds. This only happens when the model is "killed" or is actually released from it's physical form (weaker then it's true form).

Every model, including yours, will take a S6 hit within D6 inches.

One thing that I didn't notice in your pre-story, your haemunculus passing his leacership to assault the C'tan. Just an observation.

Hope that helped.
    |T|O|O|-|L|A|Z|Y|-my anti-drug

The rep button () is your friend!

Be off-topic and visit www.theopia.com

Space Wolves (500) 6-0-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

One thing that I didn't notice in your pre-story, your haemunculus passing his leacership to assault the C'tan. Just an observation.
    This... also, aren't they S3? He shoulda just drop kicked you backwards after you assaulted. His mistake though.

But yes, the C'tan explosion happens upon their death, and isn't relevant to whether or not you'd use yours. As aetherguy said, every model within D6 takes an automatic S6 hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Well....if the weapon makes it's victim explode when they die, and the character explodes when IT dies.

It would only make sense that it explodes twice, once using the stinger weapon rules, once using the C'tan necrodermis rules. I'd say the weapon would have it's effect first (though it's a blast template over a large base...doesn't seem that effective.) and THEN the C'tan would be released and get it's blast area as well.

Unfortunately c'tan do not get the LBM when they are released but instead wound every model within d6"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

I would say that they both happen (the existence of one effect doesn't affect the existence of another effect UNLESS specifically stated) and that they both happen simultaneously, just like blast weapons typically do in 5th edition. So, place the small blast template and allocate hits, then place the large template and allocate hits, and then roll. These blasts don't have an initiative value and blasts are typically used in a way similar to shooting attacks, and the blast rules were modified because people would be unable to kill a unit with blast weapons in 4th because the number of models hit would decrease each time, reducing the number of hits. 5th is all about getting all of your attacks in, so get them all in, and then see who dies.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

I agree with the both statements. You have to view it in the order of a timeline.

1) Wound that caused DEATH causes an explosion (BOOM)
    2) Now dead he is freed from his necrodermis and causes his explosion.

There's no reason either would negate the other. Especially since his is a special ability different from a normal 'explodes' situation. But definitely nasty if any of your guys are nearby! Heck or even his for that matter.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Both templates would be used i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

First point though, the stinger is ranged, not assault. Get that right at least, guys.

Now... Both templates are used. Whether or not this makes sense fluffwise is not the point. both are used, there is no gaming reason why not. All i can say is that anything close to it is in for some pain!

Simple way of working this one out:

Does it say anywhere why only one would be used? No.
    It there any reason why only one would be used? no.

This is yet another example of the dire need for GW to improve the nightbringer's rules. No sane necron player should ever take a c'tan, because it will almost certainly die to hellfire rounds immediately. Or boon of mutation, or a spirit sword, or a strength D weapon, etc, etc.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by avatar of khaine View Post
    This is yet another example of the dire need for GW to improve the nightbringer's rules. No sane necron player should ever take a c'tan, because it will almost certainly die to hellfire rounds immediately. Or boon of mutation, or a spirit sword, or a strength D weapon, etc, etc.
    Well, now, let's not get THAT extreme. It's true that the rules do NOT match the fluff entirely. That's never been in dispute. However, to say they are by definition a bad choice, especially when you say "a C'Tan," which includes the Deceiver... well, with respect, I know a LOT of players here who will tell you they've had great success using them in their army. You may be able to cite many examples of them getting nuked, and you may have mathhammer to support your theory, but be careful before declaring them the tool of a necron player with questionable sanity.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast