How Effective Is A Ork Walker Army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

How Effective Is A Ork Walker Army?

My current armies are Imperial Guard, Necrons & Death Guard, all of which are based on shooting. But I'm getting bored of shooting my opponent and want to create an army that can get stuck in.

I'm thinking of a Ork Mek Army that would include 9 killa kans, 2 Dreads and 2 Meks with Kustom Force Fields, this of course will be supported by some squads of boyz.

The idea of 11 meks running across the battlefield is tempting being protected by a powerful force field.

But is such an army effective and has anyone here has experience with such an army?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the list does look like fun, you'll probably find that the points for all of those kans and dreads racks up pretty darn quickly for their limited firepower output. Don't get me wrong, I love Kanz with Grotzookas in every way, but this many walkers is very expensive both monetarily and points-wise.

With so many points invested into these walkers, you'll have limited space for Boyz and other supporting units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

It could work, but as Kirbinator said they can add up quickly. If I were running this kind of list, I'd take 6 KMB Kanz, 3 Grotzookas, and 2 Dreads with each all big shootas (and armor plates and grot riggers). That's going to be around 700 points there.

Pick up a pair of Big Meks (I prefer KFF and SAG, but it's your call) and go nuts on da boyz (2 big units of 30 should do), add in Lootas and Grotz and you'll be fine I'd say.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

The main issue with this in 5th ed is that the Dreads, while troops, do not count as scoring and thus cannot cap objectives. So your going to have to stretch the rest of the army of Boyz and Grots to get yourself some scoring units for caps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you've got a big mek one of the dredds can cap

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I'm not 100% sure what the new rules are, still waiting on my 5e rule book.

Even if you are right, Tom, that leaves the army with two possible scoring units (assuming 2 big meks and 2 dreads)
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tom o'bedlam View Post
    if you've got a big mek one of the dredds can cap
    Dreads are walkers... Vehicles can't capture objective, even they are troop unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Correct it has to be an infantry unit to count as scoring: swarms, monsterous creatures and walkers do not count!

I though I'd bring this thread back to live since the new killa kans and dreads have got me thinking again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just remember to call it a Dreadmob. And its very orky.

I have to agree that 2 KFFs might be overkill. You can get alot of use out of just the one.
    I am verbose. Sorry.
    Current Armies:
    Kargh's Wite Butz, Death Skullz Orks: W: 5, L:, 2 D:2; Silver-skull Necrons: 1W 1L,500 pt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

An Ork walker list can definitely be effective, especially if you use 9 killa kans and 1-2 KFFs, but skip the deff dreads (not worth their points).

The only problem with this build is I find you have a lot of trouble in dawn of war missions, since you have to walk on the board on turn 1. This means you'll take much longer to reach effective fighting range. For this reason, I prefer the longer range guns over the grotzookas. Grotzookas just don't have enough range. My gun of choice is the kmb.

When using Kan lists, I also like using a lot of lootas, because it forces your opponent to come to you, rather than having to chase them all down. Just be sure to also include enough troops, for claiming objectives, usually marched up behind the wall of kans.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; March 24th, 2010 at 16:08.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast