deep strike questions (sporemine/lictor) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deep strike questions (sporemine/lictor)

I got a question about how a sporemine cluster works.

if i buy 3 do they all come down on the same location meaning i pick a location and only scatter once. or do pick a location for each and they each get their own scatter.

and secondly when they come down do they all stay clumped up. Just going off memory deep strike works by placing one guy down then you have to make concentric circles around him so basicly every model is touching bases in one big clump now.

my only real issue with that was that i deep struck on some ones head and placed them then exploded but this would cause a chain reaction and force the other ones to explode also wouldnt it? they were close enough to hit the first guy i landed on twice which was nice but the third one just blew up and didnt hit any one. (Now that i think of it i probaly should of tested to see if the first spore mines wounded the third mine first before it blew up. ie it might of lived and moved into someone else later.)

My Second deep strike question is for lictors. I understand they act independently on the board so i would assume they each get their own location to deep strike on. is that correct? and also when rolling for reserves for them do i get one roll or would i get 3 seporate rolls when i have a squad of 3.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I can answer the lictors;

Firstly as they take up a single force organisation slot they are rolled for deepstriking at the same time - one single roll for all three lictors. Their indepentent unit rules don't come into play untill they hit the board. Because of this whilst the are rolled for as a single unit they enter the board as indeviduals - so they can go wherever they wish (within the deployment rules for them of course).
    member of LO JCHAT
    Legion Of Jaffa Consuming Hatters and Terribly Superfluous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you buy three, and they are all in the same cluster, they move as one. You place three models on the table (all in base contact) and move them all in the same direction. Once the first mine makes contact you calculate how many models will be hit by that mine and multiply it by the number of spores in the cluster. (Ref. p29)

Just to reiterate, yes, they all explode when the first one blows.

"so i would assume they each get their own location to deep strike on."
    Yes

"when rolling for reserves for them do i get one roll or would i get 3 seporate rolls when i have a squad of 3"
    They are independant of each other. Roll once for each. The lictor pheremone trail doesn't apply for other lictors though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Overread View Post
    Firstly as they take up a single force organisation slot they are rolled for deepstriking at the same time - one single roll for all three lictors

"Multiple Unit Choices - Apart from being bought as a single chice, these units operate and count as separate units in all respects." Ref. p92 of the main rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My real question for the spore mines is: Wouldn't they explode without scattering every time?

Both deepstrike and being fired from a Bio-vore allow the mine to be placed over an enemy model. If you roll a scatter direction, the mine is already moving into contact with an enemy, triggering an explosion.

Or do you never run into units during a scatter from deepstrike/biovore shot?

Example: I scatter 12" and 6" along the way I run into an enemy. Would that unit be ignored? But then this changes for the spores regular movement...although it uses scatter dice, it can run into enemy models?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

The deepstrike scatter roll shouldn't be though of as movement. It's like placing them where you want them to hit but then scattering to find out where they actually hit. They don't "move" along the scatter line they simply came down there instead of where you wanted them too.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Basically, Spore Mine Clusters act as a deep-striking unit. You place the first model, scatter, then put the rest of the models in base contact in a circle. The only difference from normal deepstrike is that if they land on an enemy unit, they explode rather than suffering a deepstrike mishap.

When shooting Spore Mines from Biovores, you roll a separate scatter dice for each mine because they're being shot.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    Basically, Spore Mine Clusters act as a deep-striking unit. You place the first model, scatter, then put the rest of the models in base contact in a circle. The only difference from normal deepstrike is that if they land on an enemy unit, they explode rather than suffering a deepstrike mishap.
    Ok if i get a hit and land on some one do all 3 hit centered on that one guy or does the first hit centered on that guy and the rest are placed around the first one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Resolve as a barrage so you then roll scatter to see where around the first one the other one(s) are placed. This applies to any situation where spore mines are detonating, whether upon landing from deepstrike or from being set off by running into a vehicle, being shot, etc.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grantneodude View Post
    Resolve as a barrage so you then roll scatter to see where around the first one the other one(s) are placed. This applies to any situation where spore mines are detonating, whether upon landing from deepstrike or from being set off by running into a vehicle, being shot, etc.
    I'm pretty sure the codex says you place a template over the spore that makes contact and then all spores explode over that template. So if the template were hitting two models, you'd multiply those 2 hits by the number of spores in the cluster. I'll reply with the direct quote from the codex later tonight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast