Make ya own craftworl? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make ya own craftworl?

Hi, guys and girls.

I want to paint up my own Eldar force but not in any of the craftworld colours, so I was thinking of making my own one.

But I'm really unsure about this and how would I do it?

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Well first of all you'll have to pick a main color and a secondary color which can be a striking opposite to the first color i.e. white and black, red and green, blue and orange, purple and yellow, etc. or it can be a different shade of the color i.e. ice blue and midnight blue, or dark angels green with snot green. There is no limiting factors to painting an army, but from what I've seen, most eldar generals prefer colors that compliment each other and make certain areas seem to "pop out" as seen in many of the aspect warriors. Also, given how many different craftworlds that games-workshop has come out with, chances are your paint scheme is already a craftworld (not all are in the codex are only listed on the website such as Tir-Val and Arach-Qin.)

Feel free to deviate from the boundries of the craftworlds though, as the eldar are an ancient race spanning across the galaxy, and given how solitary some of them are, (such as the eldar rangers) you have no excuse for believing you can't create your own craftworld because of fluff issues (of which there really are none if you have an imagination, or totally go against one of the main 5 craftworlds such as fielding a full wraithguard Alaitoc army, which they are known for their pathfinders. Not that you can't do it, but that's about the only thing you can do to really break fluff.)

Ok, enough of my blabbering, go paint some models!
    Oh, and if you're making up your own craftworld, you'll need a craftworld symbol obviously. If you need some help, I'm sure all of us Eldar players will be glad to help out.

The list of all the craftworlds and guardians displaying the paint scheme is under the Warhammer 40K articles and it's called Eldar Guardian Gallery. I'd put up the link, but GW links always redirect to the front page...such an annoyance it is.
    Last edited by Fleeting Ęther; November 19th, 2008 at 23:47.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol it is annoying!

I came up with a symbol do I just paint it on freehand?

PS. What would look better? skull white armour with badab black in the cracks or Asurman blue in cracks and skull white armour?

PPS. Of course I'lle do this scheme for the Guardians and Farseer and the tanks the Aspect Warriors will be painted to a different scheme.

Help my dragon grow! pfft dont bother anymore he died since he didnt get enough clicks >:(

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Are you trying to create your own Craftworld just for looks, or for more fluff purposes? If all you really want is an alternative colour scheme, just.. paint your models differently, that's all you have to do. However, if you want to actually make a Craftworld of your own, you need a lot of things. Background story; where were they at the time of the Fall? Who leads them? How big are they and their Craftworld? Where are they now, what are they doing? Who do they fight the most, and why do they fight them? Do they have a reliance on their scouts, their Aspects, or are they more of a community force (i.e. lots of Guardians)? Do their Autarchs have more power than their Farseers, or does a Seer Council guide them?

I began some fluff on my own Craftworld Rau-Amar (Craftworld Rau-Amar), if you want to check that out for some ideas.

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Regarding the secondary color, most eldar units do not have "cracks" in their armor, there is an undersuit which makes up most of the model, and there are raised armor plates which lie on top of the undersuit.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, thats what I meant xD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

My eldar are actually (at least the ones painted) are painted up in a teal and purple scheme with purple being the primary color and the Teal being secondary.
    Slaanesh, god of the beer goggles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

I think making up your own craftworld is one of the best parts of collecting and painting Eldar. I tend to think up the stories and background while painting. My own is the Arvan'drynn craftworld.

Also, beyond the craftworld units, there are the Aspects as well. Again here, you can do your own Aspect shrines with colors that vary to your taste. One thing I did was find a color ( or symbol) to give the units a cohesive feel.

As I wasn't much for the wraithbone color, I used regal blue, black, and chainmail as my craftworld colors. Almost all of my units, Aspect or no, wear a silvered right shoulder plate/pad. Aspects have other metallics beyond the silver-ish ones used in their gear and charms. Dwarf Bronze is used through out the Aspects with the addition of other metallics for each Aspect. Also, their Shrine colors are added.

Anywho, I strongly urge you to make your Eldar army your own. I think you will enjoy it much more than doing one of the big five.
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I just feel it will be a pain in the (please do not swear) to create a massive storyline and stuff. For my Guardians I'lle just do white armour, with black helmet and black in the under armour. I've already thought of some thing for the Farseer and Ships, but I have no idea what to do for anything else.

PS. I made my Eldar "symbol" could I do it like a transfer for my Guardians?

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by NicksNecrons View Post
    Yeah, I just feel it will be a pain in the (please do not swear) to create a massive storyline and stuff.
    That depends on what you enjoy in the game. Like I said before, if all you want to do is try alternative colour schemes, that's perfectly fine; you sort of misled us by posting the title "making your own Craftworld," so we sort of assumed you wanted to actually go through the process of doing that. Paint scheme is not a limiting factor in any tabletop wargame, really, and you should feel free to experiment and try alternative colour schemes as often as you like.

If you enjoy the background of the game, or writing stories, or having character in your army beyond the fact that it's just an army for a game, I think you should go through with the 'pain' of trying the process out. It takes a lot of work, but if it's the sort of thing you enjoy, it's definitely worth the final product.

I'm more about the theorising and fluff than I am about the modeling and painting, and to an extent even more about them than the gaming itself, so I enjoy creating fluff and expanding the background of my army.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast