How to Divide 60 Boyz into Units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

How to Divide 60 Boyz into Units

In a 1000pt army (or any size) with 60 Boyz, do you guys feel like it's better to divide them into 3 units of 20 or 2 units of 30?

The way I see it right now, 3 units will potentially be more expensive because of the third Nob with PK and bosspole. But this does mean another PK and tactically you have a better chance of dividing the boyz across more enemy units. But with 30 Boyz you have more staying power and can absorb more shots when footslogging.

Not really sure which is better. Any veterans out there with experiences to share?

Russ

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I really hate taking units of less than 30 unless I'm taking trukks. I don't play 1000 points though so I'm not sure what the field usually looks like. Although one of our local gamers thinks taking a grey knights list with 3 land raiders at 1k is a good idea (I strongly disagree) so perhaps the extra fist is a good idea. Then again you could take 6 trukks with 200 ish points left over with 60 boys. I would probably split it so you had 30 and 3*10 in trukks though.
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

3 x 20 man squads.

Statistically you should engage the enemy with more models, though at a higher risk of a squad breaking first. If you give each squad a Nob, Big Shoota, and Rokkit Launcha, you will be able to split up more wounds amongst more squads.

Failing that, and assuming no squads break en route, you'll make it to combat with at least the same number of models anyways.

Seg-way to a strategy I've yet to try. Add in 10 more boys, split them into 3 squads: 20 'ard boys, and 2x30 shoota/slugga boyz (whichever is your preference) Use the 'ard boyz to screen the other advancing orks.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

3 x20 ork squads. More troop choices, more kill points, more objective holders, more tactical flexibility, and all that good stuff. They're still fearless up until XX models and as long as you've got a bosspole your fine. An extra nob will only cost a rokkit buggy + bosspole more.
    My award winning Orky tale

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Objectives

Personally, I'd use 2 units of 30, but only if I was also using a small unit of grotts as well, for objective holding. If having grotts wasn't an option, than I'd use 3 units of 20.

2 units of 30 is also cheaper, since you only need to pay for 2 nobz/powerklaws/bosspoles, saving you you 40 points (which you can spend on grotts ^_^).

The downside is you only have two powerklaws, and you'll be less versatile, so it's really up to you.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer 30 units when shoota boyz, 20-30 when slugga boyz. You should make sure you have your fill of troop slots, so if its a choice between 2 and 3 troops slots, go 20 I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

2 units of 30 all the way! It depends on how you're going to equip them too...

If they're both choppa/slugga boyz, then no need to include any special weapons as you'll be running them each turn. If they're shoota boyz, then you can toss in special weapons as you please... but either way the units should have a Nob with PK, and bosspole.
    Eldar Project Log
    Saim-Hann Eldar: 5000 Points

+ Reply to Thread