Ork Isolation. A fluff related theory. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Ork Isolation. A fluff related theory.

This probably belongs in the fluff section, but darn it we're orks and my topic should be answered by orky experts like us, not people obsessed with tyranids, SMurfs or Chaos. It takes an Ork to know an Ork!

Ranting. Sorry. In my entry to the Silver Demon Fluff Competition, in my story I discuss an theory. Isolation on the ork phyche. Now this is pretty liberal interpretation of the fluff, and no where (that I can tell) does it specificly say this but here it goes.

An ork, when completly isolated- will go mad. To me an ork is a completly social creature, utterlly dependant on its fellows for survival. An ork, alone, without the stimulus of the phychic Waaagh! energy provided by his fellows, and the lack of something to fight will start going insane.

Now this is a bit different from humans. A human can project a bit of humanity into something like a dog ( I am Legend) or an inanimate object (Cast Away.) and still function to an extent. However this is different for an ork. While the thought of a lone ork survivor wandering a deserted city with his loyal pet Squig (I iz Legend?) is entertaining, the lack of Waaagh! stimulus and the lack of conflict will take a toll. Simply projecting his humanity (ok orkyness) won't fill the bill.

So what do you think? Is this a good theory? Do you think it's justified by GW fluff? Or am I just reading too deep and overstepped my self?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to you my fellow ork players' theories and thoughts.

Lord Trebor

My award winning Orky tale

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

He won't be isolated long though, the spores that drop off him at regular intervals will grow into a thriving Ork community in a relatively short time.

Otherwise I think the Ork would just wonder towards the nearest forest or jungle to fight the nasty creatures that live there for a laff
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x3)

i'd say that if he were happened to be on an abandonned planet, or even that the "thriving ork community" was on the other side of the globe, you could derfinatly have him go mad, though i think it would take a little time. And though his spores may make a bunch of ork seed, it'll take longer for those to grow then for him to grow insane

(trust me, immm'a judge!)
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=104497
    PM me about Aurora Prime Vassal fights! Willing and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Hmmm ..... Forgot to take the spores into account. Thanks. I'm sure once they hatch he'd be fine, and I agree he'd totally find something to fight and that would keep him sane. What I was saying was if he were trapped on an abandoned world with [I]nothing[I] to fight. No orks around, no beasties, nothing. I guess it would depend on how fast the spores grow huh?
    My award winning Orky tale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i.e an "ork in prison" - ya, I think that's reasonable. Waaagh is part of their physiology in some sense, so depriving an ork would cause bad things to happen. Could a human/inquisitor notice the difference between an insane ork and one just really mad at being held prisoner? Who knows?

+ Reply to Thread