You dont think? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You dont think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You dont think?

with the release of the new battlewagon model from GW is it a possibility they will take away the abillity to scratch-build them for the orks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you make-a no sense...

if you mean they will 'order' you not to use them, they can't and won't. Scratch building a battlewagon is the same as converting any other figure, which is a vital part of the hobby (paraphrase). they can theoretically ask you not to use models from other manufactureres in their events / stores only, but unless it's painfully obvious which manufacturer it came from, they don't care.

Don't forget there was a whole speed freaks army in WD a few years ago that had trukks made from toy 4 x 4's

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

They can't take that away from us, but rest assured, the kit is VERY cheap, almost the same as a trukk anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Iaphyr View Post
    if you mean they will 'order' you not to use them, they can't and won't.
    actually they can and would, GW make the rules, you follow them, or you flip them the bird and play somewhere else other than GW, but as long as you keep spending, they couldn't give a poo poo.

all it would mean is that less people play in a GW, giving GW more reason to close them, meaning no need to pay staff, no need to pay for space, meaning they save precious money to create sub-par products
    Last edited by Karmoon; November 24th, 2008 at 22:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's absurd. That's half the point of orks. Heck, cant' you even scratch build a rhino or land raider, and so long as it clearly looks like it one, you can play them legally? Drop Pods? That's for normal, run of hte mill "they look like this" type activity. A ork party wagon looks way different each and every time, and that'd be horrid to take away just to get a paltry 40 bucks or so out of maybe half the ork players (horde playas don't need wheels)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Teriudin View Post
    Heck, cant' you even scratch build a rhino or land raider, and so long as it clearly looks like it one, you can play them legally?
    not in any GW's I know, even before the GW pod model scratch builds were always banned from every GW I have been in, and even when I asked GW directly via letter they said the same thing, heck even the FW ones were not allowed in the GW's I've been in, thats why I never physically ever laid eyes on a DP list back in 4th
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriudin View Post
    and that'd be horrid to take away just to get a paltry 40 bucks or so out of maybe half the ork players (horde players don't need wheels)
    GW likes your 40+ bucks, and will do anything to get it, and they know you'd pay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ethan View Post
    with the release of the new battlewagon model from GW is it a possibility they will take away the abillity to scratch-build them for the orks?
    They will never take away players' possibility to convert their own stuff. It's pretty much the basis of this thing of ours!
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

I'm Covered, I live in québec City and there are no GW stores here. Also, tournaments aren't organised by GW, even if they are sanctioned by them. I don't know how it's going around the world, but they would be pretty stupid to forbid the use of scratch build Battle Wagons or Looted Wagons or trukks for orks. If it ever happen, I will personnaly start a league and tournaments series that allows scratch built models and will directly chalenge GW at it.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

There is one thing

Although they can't take away the player's ability to scratch build a model, it is important to mention that having an official Battlewagon model will define how large the model has to be.

The rules are intentionally forgiving, but one thing that's certain is that when scratch building a model, the figure/vehicle has to accurately represent the unit you're using it as. This means they have to be roughly the appropriate size, and they must be equipped with appropriate weapons.

One of the big Ork debates, at least where I play, is how large a battlewagon has to be. Technically, since there is no model, any vehicle can represent it as long as it has the appropriate number/types of guns, the right amount of armor, and it's large enough to transport models. Of course, even then we get into arguments over how large a vehicle has to be in order to transport 20 models.

For example, I use a Leman Russ as a battlewagon, and that ruffles a few feathers. Despite having identical armor ratings [14/12/10], some say that it isn't large enough to fit 20 models, and that the vehicle would have to be as large as a land raider to count as a battlewagon. As someone who owns 4th edition trukks that if we take their size literally, couldn't even hold Ghazghkull by himself, I say we have to take vehicles as somewhat representational. Besides, I have a hard time believing there's enough room inside rhinos to fit 10 marines and a heavy weapon, not unless they somehow run it without an engine.

If the new Battlewagon model is the same size as a Land Raider, then that might force a few players to 'super size' their battlewagons, but if the cost is in line with a trukk [$30-40] then that shouldn't be a problem. Half the problem with the 'Battlewagon=Landraider' debate is that Land raiders are incredibly expensive in real $, and they don't have as much impact in Ork lists and Land raiders do in Marine ones.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; November 24th, 2008 at 20:48. Reason: I hate the cyclops smiley
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

not in any GW's I know, even before the GW pod model scratch builds were always banned from every GW I have been in, and even when I asked GW directly via letter they said the same thing, heck even the FW ones were not allowed in the GW's I've been in, thats why I never physically ever laid eyes on a DP list back in 4th
    I'm surprised to hear that. I worked for GW for a long time, and the policy was always: if GW makes a model, players should use that model, or convert one based mostly on GW's models. example: a predator could be made from a chimera, but not from a historical tank model.
    If GW doesn't make a model, then players have more choice, in particular to scratch build their models, although competitor models are still frowned upon. Makes sense to me!

Besides, I have a hard time believing there's enough room inside rhinos to fit 10 marines and a heavy weapon, not unless they somehow run it without an engine.
    Ever looked under a rhino? The little holes are for marine legs, so they can push the rhino!
    "Politics is the womb in which war develops"
    Clausewitz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast