How do you base your greenskins? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

How do you base your greenskins?

Hai :]
    I'm seeking ideas for basing my Orks. You know, which colour to paint the base and whether to use sand/grass/gravel etc, so I'm interested to see what you guys have used. Any tips to give me? ^^

Pics more than welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I say use gravel, and I use graveyard earth for my bases, but thats just me.
    [/quote] "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! And tea and crumpets for the commisar was it? Wonderful, that will be ready for you in just a moment sirs." - Khorne Berserker [/quote]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I painted mine kommando khaki (I think...) and used beach sand. Super cheap and very unique looking, if I do say so myself.
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it depends on a number of things really

- how much do time / effort do you want to spend per model? Horde armies generally are less effort because there's so many!
    - what colours are on the models and are they brighter or darker models?
    - do you have a theme that you want to use?
    - have you already started painting models before thinking about basing?
    - What materials do you have available to you and/or are you willing to acquire more?

without these defined there are literally hundreds of ways to base models. I personally prefer to decide how to base before finishing modeling, because that often affects how things are modelled.

for Instance if I plan to use sand then have a layer of flock, grass, snow etc on top, i often put spacers under the models feet (1mm Plasticard is perfect) so that when I apply the basing materials (sand before painting, flock after) the model still looks like he's standing on the grounds, rather than in it.

If you want to spend money, you can actually buy sculpted bases in many styles, such as from Back to Base-Ix or Iron Halo that look really groovy.

Another cool idea is to create tiled bases using tiled styrene that you cut and glue down, but again you need to do that before attaching models to bases...
    Hi !

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

I'm a bit of a maniac, but I think bases really enhance a model's appearance, and I like to make them versatile, as I play on many different tables.

here it goes:

sand the base
    Let it dry, then add white glue diluted with water and dish washing liquid to solidify it
    black ink it
    dry brush graveyeard earth
    dry brush bleached bone
    add static grass in patches
    brush grass with brown ink
    paint the side with scorched brown.

That base will look fine just about everywhere: on green tables, urban tables, desert tables, tundra tables, jungle tables.

Done in large batches, it is not that much work either. Here are some examples:

"Politics is the womb in which war develops"
    Clausewitz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Nice

I used elmer's glue and a mixture of sand and small gravel, which worked fine, but has tended to flake a bit. I think watering down the glue is a good idea, and you should also keep the the gravel small. Painting the base the color of the material you're gluing on will also help.

I've seen AKM's work in person, and it's definitely some of the best work I've seen.

By the way AKM, what do you mean by 'sand it'? With sand paper? I also noticed that the bases have a gravel-like texture, but you didn't mention adding any. Did the glue just take on that texture when solidifying, or did I miss a step?
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a Stalingrad theme. Black edges, gray rubble/stones with snowy patches of artificial snow. Looks cool and the white contrasts nicely with the ork skin.
    Currently painting The Pink Slaughter (Slaanesh CSM), Waaaaagh Bigtoof (Orks) for 40k/OnePage40k and UCM Ferrum 2nd for Dropzone Commander.
    Gallery:http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/us...tiebestie.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

222 (x7)

AKM, that looks really effective. Might have to steal that idea. ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you use colors on the side of the bases (instead of brown) for each 30's (12's or whatever size you use for your boys), you can identify your squads of boys easily. I usually use squads of 30, which means that I have 2 groups (blue and red) of 1 nob, 29 sluggas, 3 BSs and 3 rokkits, and have 2 squads of 1 nob, 29 sluggas and 3 BSs (orange and green), as I tend to use BSs more often than rokkits. Same for shootas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

222 (x7)

Alright, AKM, have had a go at what you suggested and am pretty pleased with the outcome. It's by no means perfect, but tabletop quality in my book. Not having based anything in well over a year, I'm hoping they will improve with practise. I like the look though.

Thought I'd share a snap in return for your help.

+ Reply to Thread