Magnetizing Warriors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnetizing Warriors?

I've heard a lot of people singing the praises of magnetized 'Fexes, but I haven't seen a single magnetized warrior yet. They also get tons of options in terms of weapons, so I was wondering if this is possible or if they are just not bulky enough to be magnetized. Also, what size magnets do you guys use on warriors/carnifexes? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Really I think magnetizing could be a fine idea, dunno what size mags you'd need for them, but they would allow you to experiment without proxying. you'd need a lot of magnets though depending on the number of builds you'd want to try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

i've tried it (and i've magnetized everything i possibly can on all my Nids and Eldar) and sadly, I have yet to find a magnet small enough to fit on a warrior and strong enough to hold said warriors arms.

1/16" magnets will fit (barely) in the torso, but not in the arms, 1/32" magnets (expensive, hard to find) will fit in both but don't have the holding power.

I'd suggest if you really want them modular devise a pinning system (i use 2 paperclips in my Warwalkers to hold the weapons on) to push them together.. a little blue tack to make sure they don't come off.. a bit of a pain really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of using pinning to swap parts. I've seen some guys even use sticky tack (that gummy yellow stuff you see on office desks sometimes) and that kinda seems... well tacky. Guess I'm stuck with the warriors I make.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

The magnets you want are called 'Rare earth' magnets. I have some 1/32" which I use for interchangeable Leman Russ sponsons and they are rather strong indeed. In fact, I know a guy who uses them for arm swaps on the old metal Space Marine Dreadnought, no problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

the problems i had with 1/32" rare earth magnets (that's all i use) wasn't the ability to stay together, it was the magnet's inability to stop the arms from rotating down. because the warriors weapons (scything talons and guns) are so long, there's a stronger force spinning them down. the 1/32" work great for surface to surface magnetizing (i've seen entire marines done with them for interchangable parts) but it didn't work for my warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

i solved the rotating problem on my dread by offset-pinning the weapons..

something similar should work here as well..

P = pin
    M= magnet
    x= material

x xxx
    xppp x
    x xxx
    xm mxx
    xm mxx
    xm mxx
    x xxx
    x xxx
    x xxx

The pin only needs to provide a solid point in the joint preventing it from rotating, no need to make it very deep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've magnetized most of my nids, including Warriors. I use 1/8 x 1/16 rare earth magnets as well as 1/8 by 1/8. I buy them from "emovendo" on ebay, in case you're looking for a good place to buy.

Carnifexes: 4
    Options: 3 heads, Talons, TL Devourers, BS, VC, Deathspitter, and Adrenal Glands.
    Magnets: 30 per Carnifex
    Method: I use the 1/8 x 1/8 magnets in the arms for additional strength and the 1/8 x 1/16 for switching out heads and in the shell for adrenal glands. For larger guns, I also magnetize the attachment point of the two arms to each other (where the tube goes into the gun).

Tyrants: 2
    Options: talons, TL Devourers, BS, VC, and Deathspitter
    Magnets: 24 per Tyrant
    Method: Same as for the Carnifex arms

Warriors: 14
    Options: Deathspitter, TL devourers, Claws, and talons.
    Magnets: 16 per Warrior
    Method: 1/8 x 1/16 in each of the 4 arm sockets. Then, rather than try to drill a hole in the arm, which is near impossible, I simply cut a bit of the rounded end of the arm off and just glue the magnet to that spot. It's basically the same width and not noticeable once painted since the arm socket is recessed anyway.

Yes, this took me a lot of time and about 400 magnets, but I wound up with a fully customizable force for whatever I want to try out. I started the project when the 5th edition rumors where getting heavy and I learned about the "run" option. I knew that there would be games where I'd want to trade in my TL Devourer army for some good ole' fashioned combat. Now, I'm flexible enough to run whatever list I'm in the mood for and I'm ready for whatever the next codex might throw at me.

P.S. Test and re-test the orientation of your magnets as you're doing this. Make sure all of the sockets face the same way and all of the arms face the right way to match up with them so that you can use any arms on any model. I can't tell you how much time I could have saved had I not had to dig out magnets that I placed in backwards. Doh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh, this thread came up at the right time, coz i had a new box of warriors, and was hesitating opening it until i knew how i wanted to deck it out. Now ill just try magnetizing it!

Just a question though, how do you magnetize the guns? (this goes the same for the fex guns too)
    What im wondering is it difficult to get the arm and the gun line up in the middle (where the 'wrist' connects to the socket of the gun)
    Do you put magnets there too where they connect to each other?

Or do you just put magnets in the arms and hope they meet in the middle?

Or do you glue the hand to the gun, and only magnetize the arms where they connect to the body?

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast