Librarium Online Forums banner

Wow... Tomb Spyders

2K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  SMann233 
#1 ·
I don't know why I never used these guys before, well I actually do (Misinterpreted the rules for them in the codex)

Was playing a friend of mine and I think I ended up using my monolith to bring destroyers back through cause I had flugged my WBB rolls (3 of 4 were done 3 failed) and I got them back, the following turn he had managed to get close enough to kill the entire squad, but luckily there was a tomb spyder within 12 inches of em and another destroyer squad floating around.

I managed to get most of them back. Then the tomb spyder killed one of the squads that fired at my destoyers. It was awesome. I ended up winning that game, was facing a Sisters of Battle army in an annihalation scenario, destroyers eat sisters. :p

They move slow, but when you got two squads of destoyers on each flank, it definitely increase survivability of them.

#14 ·
Maybe I'll try a 1k game just that way...hmm.
NO!! BAD ALZER! BAD!!

Yeah tomb spiders can be pretty tough opponents when fielded. I don't see them that often but they almost always en up tying up my weaker units and/or ripping them apart in the ensuing combat. They seem to be a pretty under appreciated unit among the 'Cron community as a whole but in every game I've played when my opponent used them they pretty much made their points back and more.

#10 ·
I love my tomb spyders. Even without their squad saving WWB rule. They're our meanest CC units.

#12 ·
I don't know for sure, but barring a rule/faq entry somewhere that clears this up, I'm going to say each spyder counts as one kill point. Look at IG. Their sub-units in the infantry platoons count as separate units once they hit the board, and they count as separate kill points. By that rationale, I'm guessing single-model "units" like the spyders work the same way.

I do, of course, welcome correction on this.

#15 ·
I've got 9 spyders and they annihilate anything. Just spawn 1 scarab base and you then have a 5 wound T6 unit. They do count as individual kill points so it makes annihilation missions quite hard, though they're hard to kill anyway.

People often forget to shoot the warriors to make you phase out when they see an army of MCs heading their way. It really gets them when you use the deceiver or nighty as well. 10 MCs :dance:

#17 ·
That's actually a really good point. I'll have to look into that now. However the scarabs would be worth slowing down for the amount of extra hits the spyder can take, and usually they get torn out by heavy weapons reasonably quickly anyhow, so your next turn they CAN run as they are created in the assault phase.

#18 ·
Yes Alzer, come back to us with your thoughts on that one, because it's something that's played on my mind too. The scarabs move like jetbikes, but are still classed as infantry (well, swarm infantry)...
Also something to consider, scarabs can turbo-boost because they move like jetbikes, but if it's allowed that they could run when moving with a TS, would that open the door for people to try to turbo-boost AND run a unit of scarabs? That'd be just the kind of cheese I can imagine happening all too easily.

#20 ·
Umm zippy it's quite obvious that you can't turbo-boost scarabs that are attached to a TS, they have to move as fast as the slowest model in the unit. What I was getting at was the possibility of scarabs as an independant unit (i.e. the fast attack choice) being able to run at all, as in if those that are attached to a TS are allowed to run with the TS would they then be allowed to run without a TS? If so, I could see that being abused for the scarabs as a fast attack choice to make a turbo-boost and then a run move.

#23 ·
The independent unit of scarabs could not "run" after the turbo-boost move, but the following turn they most certainly could run. P.16 BRB, bracketed section in the "Run!" box confirms they can, since they are a unit which has no ranged weapons.

E.

#21 ·
The only problem I have with my lovely Tomb Spyders is that the legs are so hard to put on. Often I have to bend them to get them to fit. and on one model, there is a gap between the body and leg end, I find working with putty (green stuff) very hard, and, as such, am unsure what to do. Apart from that they are geat, espicially against marines.
"Ha, you only killed two of my marines, now you die!"
Not one wound caused by the marines of ultamar that day ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.