Chaos army with Heavy spprt kicking my butt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos army with Heavy spprt kicking my butt

I need some help here. Me and my friend started a campaign together, and he is fielding a Chaos army. My problem is, #1 he has heavy support Havocs w/ missile lauchers, while I have no heavy support. #2 he has started using more of the demonic upgrades giving his guys not only armor saves but also invulnerability saves now too.j

His havocs are systematically taking out my Devilfish and suits letting his troops and elites get in close to finish off my troops. I have 2 Dvlfsh, 5 stealth, 3 XV8s, 2 FW squads, 6 PF and a 1500 point game coming up.

I thought about making my squads 6 or 8 FW to get more squads he has to target, while minimizing any CC losses when he starts getting in close. I have also thought about moving my suits into the FW squads. to help them last longer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cymbrogi

Last edited by Skarsgard; December 2nd, 2008 at 22:29. Reason: Netspeak.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

I think I'm confused... You play Tau and own no heavy support? No Skyray, Hammerhead or Broadsides??? You for some reason decided not to get some of the best units the Tau have?

If that is so, then my advice is to ask your friend to let you proxy some models in place of Hammerheads, Skyrays and/or Braodsides. If he won't let you proxy then you should stop playing him for now until you are able to add some heavies, and consider finding a more easygoing friend.

Sorry to sound so negative, but you could really use a Skyray and a Hammerhead. Ask for it as a gift! It is that time of year afterall.
    Last edited by ZenGamer; December 2nd, 2008 at 20:55.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They r on the list to buy next, budget just doesn't allow for it right now. But yeah looking forward to getting possibly some of it for Christmas. The campaign is going to be a long one however so I do have some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree. I've never played against a tau army that didn't focus on what the tau are best at- Heavy support. Sometimes people have 3 hammerheads etc. Which can be devestating. Also, to protect your Devilfish use the upgrade which means any shot from 12" away counts a obscured (sorry, don't know the name)- that will half his effectiveness. This upgrade is also very cheap.

Tau are arguably the best shooting army out there. So if your being outshot then you need to add some more powerful shooting elements to your army. 2 main things- get lots of guns of AP 3 or less, and anything strength 8 or more for those instant killing hits. If his havocs are the problem and his elites are all CC then maximise the distance he has to run across the battlefield, and stay in as much cover as possible.
    SM: W/D/L 12/7/4 CSM: W/D/L 14/0/1
    Guard: W/D/L 10/2/3 Orks: W/D/L 5/0/1
    Nurlge Daemons W/D/L 4/1/0

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

In 40K, the only answer to killing Big Guns is to bring Big Guns of your own. That's the nature of the beast. If that's not the game you are able to play -- money and time are certainly legitimate excuses -- than your "friend" should be willing to tone down his list for the sake of more interesting and fun matchups. Right now he's just taking advantage of you.

I suggest taking the points level down to 1000 and he should self-police, based on the models you have, to create a list that is more in line with the power-level you are capable of summoning to the table.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    In 40K, the only answer to killing Big Guns is to bring Big Guns of your own. That's the nature of the beast. If that's not the game you are able to play -- money and time are certainly legitimate excuses -- than your "friend" should be willing to tone down his list for the sake of more interesting and fun matchups. Right now he's just taking advantage of you.

I suggest taking the points level down to 1000 and he should self-police, based on the models you have, to create a list that is more in line with the power-level you are capable of summoning to the table.
    Agreed, he either tones his list down or I would refuse to play him. The game is about two players having a fun but competitive game. If one player totally outclasses the other player then how is that a fun game? and more importantly how is it a competitive game?

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cymbrogi View Post
    I need some help here. Me and my friend started a campaign together, and he is fielding a Chaos army. My problem is, #1 he has heavy support Havocs w/ missile lauchers, while I have no heavy support. #2 he has started using more of the demonic upgrades giving his guys not only armor saves but also invulnerability saves now too.j

His havocs are systematically taking out my Devilfish and suits letting his troops and elites get in close to finish off my troops. I have 2 Dvlfsh, 5 stealth, 3 XV8s, 2 FW squads, 6 PF and a 1500 point game coming up.
    Ok, so by what you've said about Invulnerable Saves, it sounds as if he's using Tzeentch. If that's the case then if he is using Thousand Sons in his list, those bolters are going to be a problem. The Sorcerer is also a pest.

However, what you haven't said is what way you operate your army. Basically you have a very Mobile Infantry-based list with vehicle support and we certainly should be able to help you out with some suggestions to play with.

If you could tell us how you field your list, and what weaponry you employ on your XV8s, this will help us greatly to know how to help you.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Cymbrogi
    I have 2 Dvlfsh, 5 stealth, 3 XV8s, 2 FW squads, 6 PF and a 1500 point game coming up.
    Alright, if I only had these models...

HQ 97
    Shas'el +PR +FB +TA +HWMT

ELITE 77
    Crisis +team leader +PR +FB +TA +HWMT

ELITE 77
    Crisis +team leader +PR +FB +TA +HWMT

ELITE 150
    5 Stealth

TROOP 205
    12 Fire Warriors +DF +DP

TROOP 120
    12 Fire Warriors

FAST ATTACK 157
    6 Pathfinders +DF +DP

97+77+77+150+205+120+157=97+154+355+277=251+632=883 points.

You're playing against your opponent with an army half his size. No wonder you're losing. Two armies of comparative points value should always have a fair chance against each other, even despite lacking certain units or types of weaponry. However, any play who fields twice his opponent's force HAS to win, or they should quit the game entirely. It's not that you're playing badly, and while your units aren't the best of the best, they're still good.

In ten words or less, your friend has been playing you for a sap. Give him a good punch in the face for me, and insist that you play even points value games from now on, or don't play against him at all.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

It sounds like he only actually relies on his army being bigger than yours.

I think that, dice gods willing, if he cut it down to 1,000 points and you fought him again, you'd have a good chance at him.
    My platform is RL, you'd be surprised at the quality of the graphics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well as far as the suits go: the stealths I have been giving TL the FB the rest BCs. And I justt recently started giving them TAs, TL also has markerlight.

The XV8s I usually do a combination of BC, MP & SG, w/ all the HW goodies. I use this guy to dance in front of his lines and get max shots while keeping distance. 2nd suit and HQ I usually do PR & MP 4 range, but willl sometimes give the HQ the FB. Penetration and range.

I go w/ the SMS on the fish, but have not had a lot of luck when trying 2 do Fish of Fury. the fish usually get kills enough to merit their use.

The squads, usually get ML 4 the ui w/ carbine, the rest Pulse R.

Also the dice gods have been very stingy with PR hits and wounds, as well as abominable results w/ shield drones.

Me and my friend have discussed letting me proxy in Heavy support, its not that I cant get some into the game. What I am looking for, is to see if anyone has tactics that worrk well in this situation. Speed manuevers or alternate setups on firepower for what I got. Right now his army is only slightly better than mine because of his heavies. Has anyone been able to tactically solve a problem like this without just resorting to "Bring bigger guns"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast