....Where's the good Tau unit? Are tau even viable? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....Where's the good Tau unit? Are tau even viable?

I've been looking over the codex, and I am just confused. I mean, every army has a "Oh Snap!" Killy or extremely deadly unit, for instance :

Chaos - Terminators, Daemon Princes w/ Lash of Submission, Lords with Daemon Weapons, Khorne Bezerkers, Obliterators, and all those beefy Special Characters.

Space Marines- Terminators, All diff sorts of Land Raiders, Bunch of Beefy Special characters and so on

Necrons - Crazy special characters, Heavy destroyers, destroyers, and Monoliths that regen whole units

Orks - Meggarmored nobz, Battlewagons, Shokk attack gun, Mobs of infantry, Ghazgul

Eldar - Harlequins, Dark Reapers, Fire Prisms, Dire Avengers w/ Bladestorm, harlequins, harlequins, and more harlequins.....

Tyranids - Carnifex's, Zilla lists, Hive Tyrants, Genestealers, Zoarnthropes, etc.

I could keep going, but you get my point. Where is the "Oh dang i better kill that thing before it wipes my army" unit for the Tau? I've been playing this game for over six years now and i've always been intrested in Tau, but now as i look over them, I just cant commit to them, they seem so weak compared to what other armies have.

Battlesuits you say? please, they have a terrible weapons selection compared to that of other armies killy units, and most of the weapons require you to get way too close to the enemy for comfort, and have the statline of a space marine with one extra wound. I mean a rocket or lascannon will drop them easy, as will a powerfist. The hammerhead is the only saving grace i can see the tau having. The thing is good, but not nearly good enough to make up for the lack of low AP, high Strength weapons in the tau army, and whats more, Tau are not CC friendly, so powerweapons/powerfists are nonexistant. How you would ever deal with space marines, much less Terminators, god forbid with a lash prince nearby, is beyond me.

I've wanted to start Tau for a long time now, but i keep getting pushed away by these terrible units that they have, please, someone convince me to commit to them, persuade me that they are worth playing.

I know not what weapons World War 3 will be fought with. All I know is that World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Don't Tau have some uber-strength 10 big blast hangin' out on a floating tank?! No the Tau aren't really "scary" but every race has it's good points... Also, about all the Eldar units you listed, I gota say only certain enemies will fear them because everything in the eldar codex is specialized to kill a single type of enemy. Harlequins are no longer the super close combat gods they once were too, they are now more in line with their points or even over priced and thus less scary.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the big stregnth 10 thing is not a blast at all, just a shot, from the only saving grace i stated, the hammerhead tank. But yeah, eldar harlies arent as powerful as before the rending nerf, but they are still very very powerful. Every army should fear them, cuz they are good at killing all types of infantry, not just one.
    I know not what weapons World War 3 will be fought with. All I know is that World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a combined arms army - We just dont need uber-kill when everything gets 'above average kill' for points cost anyway (with markerlights it becomes OMG WTF levels of kill).

In answer to the specific unit question though, Deathrain Battlesuit - most efficient APC killer in the game IMO, for it's cost.

Sokahrthumaniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Magicuser211 View Post
    Chaos - Terminators, Daemon Princes w/ Lash of Submission, Lords with Daemon Weapons, Khorne Bezerkers, Obliterators, and all those beefy Special Characters.
    plasma and rail everything, there only space marines.....with spikes
    Space Marines- Terminators, All diff sorts of Land Raiders, Bunch of Beefy Special characters and so on
    plasma and rail everything, there only space marines
    Necrons - Crazy special characters, Heavy destroyers, destroyers, and Monoliths that regen whole units
    Crazy special characters?, you mean the easy to kill in any form of combat C-tans right?, just shoot them, or sneeze on them, and you don't need to worry about heavy destroyers, nobody takes em, and if they do, deep strike some plasma suits onto them, destroyers almost match your basic rifle range, just shoot them, missile pods are nice for that too, and monoliths, well you have railguns, use them, you outrange them.
    Orks - Meggarmored nobz, Battlewagons, Shokk attack gun, Mobs of infantry, Ghazgul
    meganoz, plasma then,
    wagons, rail them,
    shokk attack, wait till it blows up,
    mobs, submunition and rifle them
    Ghazgul, hes 1 ork
    Eldar - Harlequins, Dark Reapers, Fire Prisms, Dire Avengers w/ Bladestorm, harlequins, harlequins, and more harlequins.....
    Harlequins die easily to short range shooting, something Tau can do nicely, dark reapers, DS some plasma suits on them, prisms, rail gun them, avengers with storm are easy to counter with kroot, or just shoot them with your superior range
    harlequins shoot them
    Harlequins shoot them
    more harlequins, more shooting, there clowns for a reason, there so pathetic they make you laugh
    Tyranids - Carnifex's, Zilla lists, Hive Tyrants, Genestealers, Zoarnthropes, etc.
    plasma rail plasma rail plasma rail everything, it soons dies
    Battlesuits you say? please, they have a terrible weapons selection compared to that of other armies killy units,
    I almost coughed out my own anus through my nose
    lack of low AP, high Strength weapons in the tau army,
    low strength AP weapons?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!, have you seen Pulse weapons?, plasma weapons?, fusion blasters?, rail guns?

you don't use Tau for 1 or 2 uber units able to kill entire armies, you use them because combined arms from the entire force IS uber, if you want a single killer unit, play another army that requires no thought to win.
    Last edited by Stella Cadente; December 5th, 2008 at 01:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theres not a str 10 Tau blast to mu knowlege.
    tau have up to 30 Missile pod shots and 15 plasma rifle shots from over 23" and 9 twin linkedrailgun shots in 1 force org caht, thats pretty beefy. But theres no real overpowered character or anything,

Markerlights i would say are pretty powerful, I think most armies would like them. You deal with all these eefy units by outgunning them, if you want cc go another army.

To deal with a de]amon prince with lash I use this recipe, 8 Pathfinders +24 fire Warriors + rapid fire = dead even at 30" awayy this combo nearly = death. Or 4 Crisis suits with Plasma rifles, or 1 skyray+ 10 pathfinders. Yes there all way over the points cost of a Lash prince but you can only have 2 lash princes But yo can double everything ive listed.

Senior Member Spartan Command061's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I've been looking over the codex, and I am just confused. I mean, every army has a "Oh Snap!" Killy or extremely deadly unit, for instance :

Oblits maybe, bezerkers no, if they rhino rush they get torn to shreds, if they 'spam' they get shot to bits. Lash is however nasty.

Uh...Special characters maybe (only the buffing ones, most are overpriced), everything else you listed is sidelined by the sternguard and drop pods. And you honestly think landraiders come under 'super killy'? Please, they were overpriced in 4th, and still are in 5th.

Despite all of that, they can rarely afford to take all their goodness in large numbers, because of that deliteful rule called phase out. Monolith vs railgun...railgun loses, the other 3 railguns pound it. You forgot the 'guass' weapons, which completly bowl over any tanks. (sure glances can't kill, but not having any weapons and being immobilised isn't exactly good.)

Lootas spam + shoota boy spam.

harlequins eat one unit, then die. Reapers are good against meq but will quickly die anyway as they are expensive. Prisms scatter now so not so good, dire avengers a good, where is the god falcon??

Flyrant + outflanking broodlord.

I could keep going, but you get my point. Where is the "Oh dang i better kill that thing before it wipes my army" unit for the Tau? I've been playing this game for over six years now and i've always been intrested in Tau, but now as i look over them, I just cant commit to them, they seem so weak compared to what other armies have.

Well, i get what you were trying to say, but you basically listed first glance OMG its awesome units, which later turn out to be not so good. Tau aren't weak, they make excellent balanced lists, which are also quite fluffy nowadays, with the kroot stepping into the limelight as our premier troops choice.

Battlesuits you say? please, they have a terrible weapons selection compared to that of other armies killy units, and most of the weapons require you to get way too close to the enemy for comfort, and have the statline of a space marine with one extra wound. I mean a rocket or lascannon will drop them easy, as will a powerfist. The hammerhead is the only saving grace i can see the tau having. The thing is good, but not nearly good enough to make up for the lack of low AP, high Strength weapons in the tau army, and whats more, Tau are not CC friendly, so powerweapons/powerfists are nonexistant. How you would ever deal with space marines, much less Terminators, god forbid with a lash prince nearby, is beyond me.

Uh....Missile pod? Plasma Rifle? The close range weapons on the battlesuits are generally considered to be either crap (BC), suicide weapons (Flamer, FB ), fluffy (CIB ), or tack on's to save points (Flamer again)

Wait, you are really terrified of terminators aren't you? Tau deal with terminators, MEQ's very well, which equates to blowing up their transports, feeding them kroot if they get close, and all the while pounding them with pulse rifles before scrambling sideways and forwards.

So what if tau aren't CC friendly, if we were, we'd be just like every other fricking race out their, allow GW to put some differences into their armies, not everyone want's to be the same you know, do you complain about tyranids not being able to shoot very well? (If you do you've never been on the recieving end of a round of their shooting). We don't need powerfists and powerweapons. Its called tactics and mobility combined with guns.

The hammerhead is good, but its really still an anti infantry vehicle, broadsides are what tear apart the enemy armour.

As for a lack of high strength low ap, i looked down the summary and saw 10 weapons which could fit into those categories. The new space marines have 15 including all versions of plasma and rockets (cyclone, missile, typhoon). Sure our infantry can't get any heavy weaponry, but so what?

We deal with every army, whether it brings uber killy units or is just straight off the boat good anyway the same way we always have. SHOOT IT!

I've wanted to start Tau for a long time now, but i keep getting pushed away by these terrible units that they have, please, someone convince me to commit to them, persuade me that they are worth playing.
    If you need a super duper killy unit to be 'convinced' of playing an army....i can't really think of anything else but a particular word that begins with n. I apologise for any harshness in this reply, but ugh your need for killy units just highlights for me how shoddy GW's recent releases have been (as much 'cheese' that can be done with the new orks, i must say i really enjoyed the codex, the army is still fun and slightly archiac, the darkangels are 'good' in a similar respect as well, despite the new codex slightly overrulling them.)

We do have super excellent unit though, the vespid..
    Last edited by Spartan Command061; December 5th, 2008 at 01:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spartan you make it sound like its wrong to want a good point for kill unit. Those are what usually attract people to most armies anyway, the badasses who really can take names, but its just that the tau for some reason lack that to me. Every army, imo, should have something that you can rely on, somthing that you know will own.

And to the guy who said "JUZ PLASMA AND RAIL EVERYTHIN" please, out of command squad u can get what? 3 plasma shots at range? resulting in possibly one casualty if they arent in cover? good luck killing the rest of the army seeing as how thats the turn around for a JSJ vs a SM squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what everyone's trying to say is that no, the Tau really don't have a unit on which the success of the army rests. If you need that in order to enjoy the army, thenthe Tau may just not be for you.

That does not, however, mean that the Tau are an inferior army to use, just that they're not your style. If you like shooting things, and then shooting them some more, and then moving and then shooting them some more, and your plan for improving your army is "more guns!" then you might like Tau. if you want to watch the champions of your army tear through unit after unit of the enemy single handed, well, Tau don't really have that.

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Strength 10.
    Armor Piercing 1.
    72 Inch(!) range
    75% hit rate off the shelf, easily brought to 89%
    upwards of NINE in the army if configured for it.
    protected by a 2+ armor save, normally with a contingent of drones to soak up hits as well

Otherwise known as the XV88 Broadside Solid-Shot Railgun, one of the most feared single weapons in the game (if not THE most-feared). I can't tell you how many times I've routed Transport Rush tactics before I ended my first shooting phase by blowing the everliving crud out of anything that has armor values and splatting toughness-5 independent characters.

And that's not even the most threatening stuff we field.

I've seen Kroot carnivore packs charge Harlequins and eat them for lunch (pretty much literally, considering the fluff). 48 attacks is not fun to deal with, especially when most of them are at initiative 5. Sweeping advance tests when your majority is at 5 initiative make most melee units cry futile tears, begging for mercy. Did I mention that these guys infiltrate and outflank?

Our most basic infantry unit carries strength-5 weapons with 30" range. Our Elites can make a hash out of darn near anything, and can be configured into a massive multitude of absurdly effective roles, all of which numer among the most annoyingly mobile targets in all of existance.

So, I guess we don't have anything as spectacularly big and scary as a Carnifex or a Demon prince. Guess what? Seeing an enemy concede when I place my heavy support units on the table is good enough for me. (yes, this has happened)
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast