First Eldar army, lil help please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Eldar army, lil help please

Lo guys, I am looking to start an Eldar army, I have kinda gotten bored with CSM and I've always wanted to have a little go at Eldar.

Now for the hard part, im a very CC orientated player, and as such I would like my to be so as well. Eldar have never struck me as particulary CC but I would like to give it a go anyway

I am completely new to eldar, meaning I havent got a clue where to start.

I am in your hands. I will be looking towards a 1000pt army to start with.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

CC Eldar is very doable but, like all armies, it suffers if it is pure CC. I have a 2K list that does very well for me and I use Striking Scorpions as my close combat units and I will charge into combat with Autarchs attached to warpspiders if the target is soft enough. This does very nicely and there are plenty of other CC units for Eldar to choose from depending on what you want to be ripping to shreds. Storm Guardians, Scorpions, Banshees, Shining Spears, and wraithlords can all do the CC thing quite nicely and they hit like a sledge hammer but can't take an amazing amount of punishment. It all depends on what craftworld flavor mix you want.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

CC Eldar is very feasable. Eldar cc units are very good, and so evenly matched that people still argue over which one is best. And several, if not most, of the Eldar HQ choices work very well with a cc oriented force.

For starting out I would suggest you look towards Banshees and Scorpions. They are both very capable cc squads that are fairly easy to master (as opposed to Harlies or Shining Spears). Unless you have a specific reason not to you should always start out with a farseer as you first HQ choice. He has access to several powers that help Banshees and Scorpions immensely... doom and fortune respectively.

For troops it is natural to look at storm guardians, but they have never really been my thing, so I would suggest you get some Dire Avengers. They can provide a tremendous amount of short range firepower, and if you want to you can gear up the Excarch to make the squad fairly ressilient in cc (especially if a farseer is nearby to lend a hand).

It is tricky to get much in the way of transports to fit into a 1000 point eldar army, but a couple of waveserpents is certainly worth a look. Scorpions can do ok without a transport, but Banshees really should ride in a serpent.

Scorpions and Banshees are not ideally equipped to handle TMC, Walkers, Greater Daemons and the like, so look to something that can lend a hand here. Whichblades work well against several of these and an Avatar or Wraithlord could also be an option.

So a start could be something like this:

Farseer with maybe doom or fortune
    Striking Scorpions
    Howling Banshees
    Dire Avengers
    Dire Avengers
    Wraithlord

Add some other stuff as per your preferences such as Waveserpent for the cc squads, some more Heavy Support to force the enemy forward, an Avatar to bolster the lines etc. Most groups will let you proxy most of this for a couple of games so you get a feeling of what works for you and what doesn't.

Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impossible. Don't get me wrong an Eldar army that is more weighted towards CC can be done. But eldar in general cannot stand up to any army, at least any of the big armies, in pure HTH. There are units within the Eldar that can take on other units in other armies, SS can kill a tactical or devastator squad, but they cannot hold their own against terminators, especially if they have thunder hammers and storm shields. The best tactic to use in a CC eldar army is to put in a few shooters. One squad of dark reappers and a fire prism will do. Wittle down the units to the point you have an advantage. 10 SS with an exarch may have trouble against 6 termies, but kill 2 or 3 and they stand an excellent shot, even with TH and SS. If they assault they get 41 attacks at 4+ so they hit 20. 4+ to wound they wound 10. He should lose 1 or 2. Loose 2 and he is down to 2 and in the net round you will probably finish him. I loved HB. But not so much any more. The eldar have one weakness, S3. Almost everyone is T4 and this means 5+ to wound. HB are great is a way to finish off an army, and a horrible unit to build an army around. In smaller armies I like the wraithlord. He is expensive, but in low point armies people usually assume they need maybe two heavy tank killing weapons. With T8 anything S4 and lower can't even hurt him. Even a lascannon needs a 3+ to wound him. Concentrate on killing the things that can hurt him and then let him walk through the army. He can also replace the reapers of the prism. And with S10 he is a monster in HTH because he doesn't always go last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mbutler132000 View Post
    Impossible. Don't get me wrong an Eldar army that is more weighted towards CC can be done. But eldar in general cannot stand up to any army, at least any of the big armies, in pure HTH.
    I strongly disagree with this eldar cc units are more than capable, and we have several HQ options that can help out tremendously there.

There are units within the Eldar that can take on other units in other armies, SS can kill a tactical or devastator squad, but they cannot hold their own against terminators, especially if they have thunder hammers and storm shields.
    A bit of a strange argument since similar could be said about almost every unit in the eldar army. Using banshees versus hordes is not the best way, using scorpions versus termies is not the best way etc etc. Thats not proof that an eldar army cannot handle other cc armies, but proof that eldar units need to be used correctly.

If the opponent brings terminators and you are fielding a cc oriented eldar army you should certainly have other options available to you than charging your scorpions in. Banshees and harlies do well versus termies, avatar also and a squad of shining spears with a spear autarch would also eat a terminator squad with little to no trouble.

The best tactic to use in a CC eldar army is to put in a few shooters. One squad of dark reappers and a fire prism will do. Wittle down the units to the point you have an advantage.
    Agreed. Low toughness troops with moderate armor save will work best when they can overwhelm the opponent and finish him off quickly. A combination of shooty and cc troops will generally be the way to go for eldar.

Oh, and by the way, you should not post stats here. It is against forum policy and it is safe to assume that the people who post here have access to the relevant codex and thus do not need to be told what toughness a wraithlord has

/Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

+ Reply to Thread