The Tryanid Party Pack on a budget - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

The Tryanid Party Pack on a budget

Being in my teens right now i started playing Tyranids after buying some Nids off my friend from the Battle of Macragge. My Brother got the Space Marines. I wanted to get my Nid's up and running as fast as possible to make a decent 1500 to 2000 tyranid pwn force. So i bought

(Already had 10 Termagaunts and regular stealers)

16 gaunts

Nid Battleforce x 2

Hive Tyrant x1

and not yet but hopefull Licotrs x2

What i did was i turned both my Carnifix's into around 200 point baitfexes
    Hive Tyrant, melee beast with 2+ armor save (did not use Warp field becasue my brother runs a double Librarian/Terminator destructo force to counter my Nid Blitz

My Warriors were all souped up with Rclaws, Spitters, and bios galore each squad about 120 points

out of my stealers i turned one into a fodder force of 12 (16 points each) and 6 with ST and ToxSacs as a elite force

all the gaunts i made them Termagaunts beacause they are little monsters that have time and time again destroyed and overwhelmed my brither's tactical squad

10 Hors with ToxS and AdGs(I)
    and
    14 with just adrenal glands

and thats it

With just two Battleforces which save you about 25% some extra gaunts and a Tyrant i have a very smashing Nid Force. Because of the lack of tank crushes i want to incorporate a pair of lictors into the force so that they can deal with pesky artillery and Heavy Weapon Squads

The idea of the squad is that all the enemy's fire is directed on the Tyrant, Baitfex's and or the fodder genestealer squad or the termagaunt squad so that the troops such as the hormagaunts and Elitestealer's have a chance of getting into combat and spanking the opposition. I just chuckle when my Elite stealers assault a terminator squad and tear them to bits. Makes my day

Pros:
    Cheap (Warhammer one of the only miniature games that comes unassembled and unpainted
    General all around nid army
    For noobs
    easily have enough guys to overwhelm the opposition
    meat shield maker
    biomorphs galore
    make your oppoent incredibly irritated at you when your turn takes twice as long as him

Cons:
    Only good if you want basically a swarm army
    Poor Shoota' powa' relies on close combat
    a field day for your opponent if he has artillery or alot of tanks
    Opponent might beat you over the head for the amount of time it takes you to perform your turn. (Army is at lest over 50 units)
    No unique nid's (TyGuards, Lictors, Raveners, Zoanth's, additonal Carnifexes and Gargoyles) Too expensive for me.
    Over indulgence in troops. Some trouble with having to have a huge brood sit on a objective

Conclusion for a noob who wants to start playing as fast as possible on a budget (still a pretty large one) this is the way to go

I'm still a huge noob and would like to hear feedback and tips in making my roster line-up better!!

Note also if there some grammar and alliteration mistakes please let me know.

Last edited by Reeses; December 7th, 2008 at 21:18. Reason: speeling

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think you have a good all round swarm. The two Baitfex you have may not be as good as you want. Carnifexes cost a fair bit to use and yours are 200 points. I think you may it more useful to have one as a Baitfex and the other providing support. Give the Baitfex something like two pairs of scything talons and sent it up to get underfoot. Or give it two twinlinked devourers, spine banks and enhanced senses. A Dakkafex. You can also ditch the spine banks and with the shocktroops use it as a really cheap Carnifex in elites in games that are big enough. Those kinds of Carnifexes can be very useful and distracting.

The other one give it enhanced senses, a venom cannon and barbed strangler. They are great for bombing your opponent all through the game. They can also be good at damaging vehicles to make them rather harmless. These Carnifexes are know for being a pain for people facing Tyranids. Both of these Carnifexes will still be very good at getting your brother's attention and they will work well as bait or a distraction. But you will find they will do much more damage to him as well. So you can bait him and kill his soldiers at the same time. You can of course give both the Carnifexes a few more biomorphs such as reinforced chitin, extended carapace, flesh hooks (dirt cheap and handy for climbing walls) etc.

I don't think you should get Lictors. They are nice models and the Death leaper is very nice. However they aren't very good in the game. They cost lots of points and they can be very hard to use at the best of times. That they can pop up out of nowhere is fun but they won't really hurt Marines much. Often they might kill one or may be two and then the rest of the Marines will mob it and beat it to death.

Use Zoantropes instead, they are far more powerful and also cheaper. Groups of three are very good. Warpblast is a good power for them. It will fry up several Marines a turn if you use it on the low setting. Probably kill as many Marines in one or two shots as a Lictor might kill in a whole game. You can also use the more powerful shot to cook tanks. The second power they take can be synapse creature or psychic scream. Synapse creature will give you more synapse obviously and make the Zoanthropes harder to kill. Psychic scream is good as it lets you reduce his LD. Mobs of three Zoanthropes close to a Hive tyrant can make assaulting the Hive tyrant with the horror very hard as enemy LD will drop way down. You will also find that the Zoanthropes can spread out because they dont move and aren't shot at as a brood. This makes killing them more difficult as each one must be assaulted or shot separately.
    Last edited by Leech; December 7th, 2008 at 22:49.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

Thanks Leech

thanks for the tips. That DakkaFex sounds very promising.

But i was wondering about the lictors i thought they would be very good at destroying enemy vehicles and Devastpr and heavy weapons becasue they can cause a massive amount of damag eand then run their tails of before support or a counter-attack could be launched. All the Licotr tactics i have read is that their are good for drawing fire and attacking enemy weak poitns... Not a whole entire tactial squad. If i used the lictors as tankbusters and s*** disturbers on the flanks could they still be an important role in my horde or a waste of space?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the point of Lictors, I tend to agree on the they're too expensive but if you're dead set on using a Lictor I put forward this advise. Using them for tank-hunting is a bad idea they are pretty much useless against them.

But against heavy weapon squads you have a viable tactic. Lictors jump out of any Terrain. Yes kiddies this includes hills that Heavy Weapon Teams are so fond of frequenting. Provided they don't have too many numbers (Usually a 7 man Devastator squad is too much for a single Lictor) and you have some luck. You can rip up a couple of members, maybe win combat, then stick around, don't hit and run and hold up the squad for a turn of shooting, with more luck you can survive another round of combat and hold up another shooting turn.

And the other tactic I sometimes use in bigger games is to pop up a Lictor near an objective I can't reach with troops, harrass the guys with hit and run. Stay in cover to weather thier shooting and hope he survives long enough to contest the objective, again this tactic relys on enemy numbers, and is quite a gamble.

Call-out: Not sure on the legality of the popping out of hills tactic. I've used and seen it used in a few games but haven't seen an official rules lawyering on it, and I don't have my Codex with me to check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me personally I love Lictors. They are sweet and the whole idea of them springing out and slaughtering people from nowhere and then dissapearing is awesome. Unfortunately from what I've seen this rarely if ever happens and when it does it's not because the tyranid player is good but because his opponent is bad. The best use for Lictors from what I can tell, and this is often overlooked in discussion, is his ability to let your reserves re-roll. This only works in armies set up for it with deep striking raveners, gargoyles, warriors, hive tyrants, and units with scuttlers that are outflanking namely genestealers. If you set up your army that way then a lictor is a great asset to ensure that your reserves come in when you need em.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 more carni's in 2 hours

with a little bit of modding you should easily be able to turn your extra bit from your carni sprues into 2 more carni's.
    use the crushing claws for back legs, the extra bits of carapace for top and bottom, extra heads galore ... i use a type of putty with super glue over (instead of green stuff) to mold a body and spray of paint away... i have 4 of these extra babies in my swarm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Grey, any chance at pics of those completed? Like any other multi-fex owner, there are a ton of leftover bits that would love to be another 'fex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

could we have pics of those, please?
    W/D/L Rumpin' BackThumpa's WAAAGH, 38/3/21

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

i would like to see some evidence how you actually made these "modded" fixes

+ Reply to Thread