What the hell is a targeting array? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell is a targeting array?

Hey this is my first post here so i may as well address something that has confused me for a while now (a noob question); battlesuit support systems. When it comes to support systems that can be mounted on a hard point, I only have three options in the plastic kit: The disc looking thing (quite obviously a shield gen), the thing that looks like a crisis head turned on its side (i used to think this was the multi-tracker but the codex states that it is in fact the target lock) and the antennae looking thing (what i thought was a drone contoller but apparently is the multi tracker). Which excludes four pieces of importent support systems, (not including special issue which i know comes with the commander kit) most notably the TA which i wish to use. I don't know if i posted this in the right section but anyway i need some help. What the hell am i supposed to glue to my deathrain suits' shoulders?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

You don't need to glue anything there. The TA is regarded as "already on" the suit. Basically it can be any one of the lenses modelled on the XV8.

You can always invent something to represent it though. Check out this thread from ATT for some ideas.

E.
    Last edited by eiglepulper; December 15th, 2008 at 10:44.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I use the target lock as my targetting array representation, as not many Tau players and fewer players in general really know what each bit (cept the shield generator and weapons) represents, and as long as every model with a TA has the same representation, no harm no foul (and it is tourney legal).

When using Broadsides with TL's in my list, I chance the casing and lens colour of the TL add-on to represent that it is, in fact a TL and not a TA< and explain this before the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds good, i suppose you could always put the target lock on backwards or something, im not really keen for leaving a blank hard point on a model because that could mean anything (blacksun filter etc) i was just wondering what the norm is for tau players using TA.

Senior Member Spartan Command061's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

For my deathrains i did a small conversion to the head, by cutting the front off of a target lock and glueing it on the front of the head, then GS'ing over it, basically so they end up looking more advanced than your run of the mill suit. Most people use TL's a TA's and BSF, Drone controllers as multitrackers, just stick the bit on facing the desired direction and tell your oppenent (not that it would really make much difference whether or not he/she knew). Or you could convert your stuff to look different, thus being able to say the 'missing' hardpoint is made up for in the funky addons you've created.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

I cut the antenna off the multi-tracker to represent the targeting array. I think it's appropriate too - using multiple lenses to triangulate target location (both direction and range) and feeding that information into the battelsuit targeting system.

Works for me.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

+ Reply to Thread