Interesting Fluff Point - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Interesting Fluff Point

In the Tau Empire codex, there are names provided for the different units in the Tau language. I just noticed something today.

Gun Drone squads are called "Kor'vesa", with Sniper Drones under the control of a Tau called "Or'mon'kor". From these, it can be definitely derived that "Kor" is the Tau word for Drone.

Now, take a look at the Vespid Stingwings. The Tau name for them is "Mal'kor". So, they are being called Drones by the Tau... but the arrangement of the name is more like the ones when they're controlled by someone else. Perhaps the Communion helms aren't just for communication, as hinted by the fluff?

I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

"Kor" actually means 'air' or 'air caste'. This is found on P.57 of the Codex: Tau. The word 'vesa' means "helper", so the entire word comes over as "Air Helper" or - as per the Codex Tau - "Faithful Helper".

"Mal'Kor" means literally "Air Arthropod", which makes sense seeing as Vespid are flying insects!

All words found at http://www.cygnusx1.info/tau/lexicon.asp

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with eigle, but at the same time do suspect that there is more to the communion helm than just mere 'communicative' aid. All of us who have read xenology or other BL publications on the Tau know that there is something fishy (not neccessarily sinister, just suspect) about the Ethereal caste, so why should a device commissioned especially by that caste be any less dubious?

The Tau aren't the happy and light race after all it seems (that rightfully belongs to the orks imo - they may be violent, but a better optimist species in the 40k galaxy you will not find)

+ Reply to Thread