Which type of Hive Tyrant is better? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

Which type of Hive Tyrant is better?

In my army i cant decide which kind of Hive Tyrant who is unaccompanied by Tyrant Guards to use without wings

Melee Tyrant

AGs (WS), EC, TSs, STs, TM Implant attack? i was wondering if this was a good idea becasue he could deal twice as many wounds too a unit. Suggestions?

or

Dakka Tyrant

ES, TS, EC, Twin-linked devourers (I cant decide which one to use both use the tyrant's strong points suggestions) NOTE: gave them EC because i dont have any Tyrant guards

which one do you think is better??...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Reeses View Post
    In my army i cant decide which kind of Hive Tyrant who is unaccompanied by Tyrant Guards to use without wings

Melee Tyrant

AGs (WS), EC, TSs, STs, TM Implant attack? i was wondering if this was a good idea becasue he could deal twice as many wounds too a unit. Suggestions?

or

Dakka Tyrant

ES, TS, EC, Twin-linked devourers (I cant decide which one to use both use the tyrant's strong points suggestions) NOTE: gave them EC because i dont have any Tyrant guards

which one do you think is better??...
    Dakka tyrant. If you run the numbers, the dakka tyrant will do more damage to a unit shooting at it then assaulting it then a CC tyrant does just assaulting.

A CC tyrant needs wings, otherwise it'll get shot up before it can reach an enemy line. Nothing wrong wtih EC, although a flying tyrant will need warp field.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also as a note Implant attack only affect multiple wound Models. You would'nt deal more damage to the average unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also say go wtih the dakka tyrant, especially if it's going to be walking. I myself run a flying dakka tyrant, and it has consistently been my MVP in just about every game I play.

Keep in mind, that even if you tool out a tyrant for shooting, it's still a hive tyrant and can mess stuff up in CC if it wants to. I use my dakka tyrant to take out large swathes of light infantry, rip apart vehicles in CC, and overhwlem small elite squads with a blistering number of shots followed up by an assault. You have to be careful with that last one though and make sure you can take out the powerfist style threats before they get a chance to hit you back.

Something else to consider, put some kind of psychic power on the tyrant. Warpblast could be useful if there's some armor in your way, and the tyrant's better-than-nid-average BS would make it hit more than zoanthropes (I can never get those things to hit anything). You could also try psychic scream, since tyrants come standard with The Horror, enemy units would have to take a LD test with -1 LD. If you surround it with 3 more zoanthropes with psychic scream, your tyrant is basically safe from assaults, and just waltz right into the middle of the enemy forces and blast them away all day long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Ran49 View Post
    Something else to consider, put some kind of psychic power on the tyrant. Warpblast could be useful if there's some armor in your way, and the tyrant's better-than-nid-average BS would make it hit more than zoanthropes (I can never get those things to hit anything). You could also try psychic scream, since tyrants come standard with The Horror, enemy units would have to take a LD test with -1 LD. If you surround it with 3 more zoanthropes with psychic scream, your tyrant is basically safe from assaults, and just waltz right into the middle of the enemy forces and blast them away all day long.
    Just to point out a thing or two about warp blast. First, you can't use the focused blast if the model has enhanced senses (Nid codex, pg 31). Also this power takes the place of a shooting attack (Rule Book, pg 50 ). So if you take warp blast with a dakka tyrant, the tyrant will only be able to shoot 6 of his 12 devourer shots along side the warp blast.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Dakka Tyrant.

Why would you not pick the best shooty unit in 40k for the points. Two twinlinked Devourers hitting on the better BS of the Tyrant will make most S4 units take 10 - 11 saves per round of shooting. That is increadible for a 150ish point unit.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

I know this isnt my topic, but i do have a question. Would it be better for my to have a tyrant with TL venom cannon or a dakka flyrant. Keep in mind i already have on CC flyrant, and a dakka fex. Still would it be better to take a dakka flyrant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I personally cannot endorse the TL venom cannon. You're getting only 1/6 of the shots and you're only re-rolling to hit. Also it's not even that great against vehicles. Better to run the Dakka flyrant in my opinion. Perhaps change the CC flyrant to a Deathspitter tyrant, since you can only have one flyrant. Now that can be fun if you have some warriors to back it up with. I've always been a fan of the Dakka flyrant. It has literally torn space marine squads to shreds for me. Always feared when I put it down on the table.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    Just to point out a thing or two about warp blast. First, you can't use the focused blast if the model has enhanced senses (Nid codex, pg 31). Also this power takes the place of a shooting attack (Rule Book, pg 50 ). So if you take warp blast with a dakka tyrant, the tyrant will only be able to shoot 6 of his 12 devourer shots along side the warp blast.

Thanks for that clarification. I had forgotten about the ES thing with warpblast. The only reason I was suggesting it was in case you find yourself in a situation where there aren't any appealing targets for devourers. This is rare I know, but it does happen. Since you reminded me about the ES thing, I may not be so keen on endorsing warpblast, but I stand by psychic scream, it's always nice to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x1)

So i should change my CC flyrant to a dakka flyrant and my TL VC flyrant to a TL deathspitter tyrant?
    Again i apoligize for stealing a topic but it is very important that i get my HQ refined. Also i agree with not taking warp blast to many pt for your low BS creature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast