The Plight of the footsloggers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Plight of the footsloggers

I have been playing Tau for a while now-proxying small armies of upwards of 400-500 points, and I have been considering tactics as I prepare to expand my force. (i.e. include more than a dozen unpainted fire warriors)

Now, the main part-Why is it that most players prefer to form Mechanized Tau armies as opposed to infantry gunlines? I took the time to form a quick list of 1k footsloggers to explain my reasoning...

Fire'el
    monat-2x MP, ta
    3x12 FW, shas'ui w/ knife
    12 Kroot
    8 pathfinders; fish, DP, 2 sm
    2xbroadside, ASS

quite a few bodies, and with 36 fire warriors blasting at you, not fun to face. The broadsides can take care of themselves from range by shooting down those annoying tanks and then ripping into infantry. I think I have made my point at least somewhat clear that a mass of Warriors, especially if properly backed by Pfinders, an infantry force can cause a bit of hurt.

Still, I am new, so if you wish to argue for mech, please feel free to. I am all ears.

Asking for suggestions without knowing what you're planning on doing is like asking a blind man what color shirt matches your eyes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

In short, transports keep your units out of close combat, and keep your railguns out of melee. If your forces are in danger of being swamped, you can simply jump them into a devilfish and run away, only to return to rapid-fire a unit the following turn. Our units tend to do well in medium-close range, utilizing our superior mobility to beat our foes and applying firepower in specific places. Also, transports and mobile weaponry allow you to decide where the battle is fought, and allow you to move to claim distant objectives.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think where I mainly get confused is why do we (tau players) get transports to run from a fight when we can just as easily shoot the enemy down? Also, I dislike Hammerheads, I don't know why, I just do-oh, and Kroot=beast.
    Asking for suggestions without knowing what you're planning on doing is like asking a blind man what color shirt matches your eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

We tend to run from the fight as much as we run to the fight. Ask any 40k player, if Tau get into close combat with... anything, they lose, it's common knowledge. With Ws2 and I2 across the board except across our more elite choices, who max out at Ws4 I3, Tau will almost always strike last on a 4+ or 5+. Being able to evade close combat is another way of saying that you're able to avoid losing a squad in a turn. Our shooting is not strong enough that we can simply shoot the enemy down before they contact our lines. We can diminish their number greatly, but a pure close combat force does not need many numbers to chew through a shooting army once within range.

I personally use transports to hunt down isolated units. If a squad gets out in front of the rest of the opponent's army, I can move two Fire Warrior teams within 12", rapid fire into them and also disembark the gun drones to also shoot as well as provide an assault speedbump to stop the potential remainders of the squad from assaulting the fire warriors. With markerlight support, the two squads can destroy a full ten-man squad of Space Marines in one round of shooting. This allows you to disassemble the enemy's force piecemeal, so that when the enemy gets dangerously close they're so damaged and disorganized that crushing them entirely will be easy work.

It's unfortunate that you dislike our two best units: Kroot give you squads full of bolters for half the cost of a Space Marine, and if you put them in forests they get the same save too. Hammerheads are very difficult to destroy, disruption pods double their survivability, and their railgun is very versatile, able to engage heavy armour or large quantities of infantry at your discretion.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    It's unfortunate that you dislike our two best units: Kroot give you squads full of bolters for half the cost of a Space Marine, and if you put them in forests they get the same save too. Hammerheads are very difficult to destroy, disruption pods double their survivability, and their railgun is very versatile, able to engage heavy armour or large quantities of infantry at your discretion.

Okay, the majority of your post is very valid, My main concern is that 'Fish are quite a big points dip, while an extra 12 FW's per every 2 fish ommitted gives you a great deal of firepower.

However, I love Kroot ("beast" meaning awesome, I apologize for my terminology) but hammerheads, while versatile, don't have anywhere near the same hitting power in terms of railguns as broadsides, and you need to throw in at least 2 heads in order to ensure one can survive (at least 300 points).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spose it depends on what kind of opponent you play. If we were to play and i brought my infantry oriented guard a good fire line would chew up most of my list. Although with all my heavy weapons it'd probably make short work of a fire line, but thus is the chance of the dice. On the other hand if you were to play my mobile space marines it becomes a different story. I love it when Tau tries to get a gun line, and I've tried to get my opponents to get a Fish for their game because it adds the extra aspect to their list which really brings to their game.

Really Tau are the shock troops of 40k, there may be drop podding marines, and storm troopers rushing via rhinos or chims...but no army has the power that Tau have on every troop on the end of a stick to combine with an impressive transport that can multitask roles rather efficiently. But even if you don't use a Fish to relocate away from an assault i think it's a very good addition to any list to keep those fragile yet powerful troops that you have to offer. When the new codex comes out in God knows when, you'll see the transport cost drop at least a little like marine tranports (hopefully, but probably not).
    Last edited by Master Lucius; December 21st, 2008 at 19:22.
    "The only hatred any man should hone, is hatred against himself for not being able to serve the Emperor to his full extent. This is the hatred he should unleash upon the enemy, and in doing so, the Emperor will protect."

Master Lucius, Chapter Master of the Noble Templars

+ Reply to Thread