Warriors +Deathspitters +Scything Talons +Toxin Sacs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Warriors +Deathspitters +Scything Talons +Toxin Sacs

I want to bring up a unit that has been doing extremely well amongst my Tyranid forces. As my friend Ethan (who has suffered the wrath of this brood) put it, "it's a unit that can destroy another unit every time it shoots".

8 Warriors +Deathspitter +Scything Talons +Toxin Sacs: 31 points/model
    1 Warrior +Barbed Strangley +Scything Talons +Toxin Sacs: 36 points/model
    Brood: 284 points

I have been putting this unit to great effect in all of my games, and my only regrets so far are range (I do also play Tau, so this is a bit moot) and that I only have 9 Warriors to field. This evening saw a Tau Shas'o with shield generator, stim packs and two shield drones, attached to three crisis suits with six shield drones reduced to the Shas'o and a crisis suit with one remaining wound. That's 13 MEQs killed with one round of shooting that enforces a pinning check. In games against Space Marines, I have killed entire tactical squads per turn (or assault squads, etc). The downside to this unit is that it's 284 points, 311 with Extended Carapace. The up-side is, it's a squad that kills entire squads of space marines and provides synapse. I'm sure this has been around the boards, but it's definitely worth reminding how effective this unit is.

On another note, I've been contemplating a squad wielding twin-linked devourers, enhanced senses and toxin sacs. However, it comes out to 35 points per model, and I wind up hitting less models with a worse to-wound rate and shorter range for four points more per model.

My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

I've run 6 of these on some occasions. In one came, they single handedly stopped a sister's army in their tracks. Popped several rhinos and then pinned the sisters the following turn. It was fun. However, for nearly 200 pts I'm having a hard time finding a place to put them in my army.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run these in a three man squad (just got a battleforce and its my whole force) without the toxin sacs but with extended carapace. Also since i dont have the toxin sacs i dont mess with the barbed strangler but three wars with deathspitters are an excellent firing squad. Wiped out six howling banshees and the warlock and exarch in an eldar squad plus put a wound on the attached farseer. 18 hits in one round of shooting with three models. I love these guys and they really help out in the shooting rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah...its a great squad. Ive run the smaller 6 man version.

I still think warriors are too expensive for what you get out of them, but this is the best set up to maxamize them.

Only problem is, its hard to run in a tourney because resolving all those blasts takes a while.
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had success running the above brood, but with one exception. I take a venom cannon Warrior instead of the barbed strangler. The reason for this is because the deathspitters increase the Warrior's strength for shooting, while the barbed strangler reduces it. I think that the venom cannon is a better alternative with deathspitter Warriors because it too offers a strength incease, allowing the brood to threaten light to medium vehicles and higher toughness models.

The barbed strangler is by no means a bad choice though; if you're going for lots of templates than its the best option, but I prefer to put barbed stranglers in broods of Warriors armed with devourers. That way, all of your weapons are the same strength and geared towards killing infantry (plus, it doesn't take as long to resolve shooting because there are less blast templates!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

Hmm, I used this kit-out in 4th edition, but they also had the +1 to BS, and I mixed them with devourers.
    But now with 5th edition, using all those blast templates with a -2 range scatter would probably mean business. Inherently, you already have the 1/3 chance to hit instantly, and 2/3 chance to scatter. I might give this one a try, when not playing Grey Knights.
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

I'd even try it against Grey Knights, provided they didn't all have 2+ armour saves. As I said, I killed the equivalent of 13 MEQs with one round of firing, and the barbed strangler throws in that nice chance of pinning. I use this brood as an anti-infantry squad, hence my choice for the Barbed Strangler over the Venom Cannon, also because I don't want to waste those S6 shots on something that they will have a hard time damaging, essentially wasting their firepower. I'd designate Sniperfexes or Warp Blasts at such targets.

I haven't yet had reason to field devourer warriors. A Warrior with TL Devourers, Enhanced Senses, and toxin sacs will cost 4 points more than a warrior with Deathspitter, Scything Talons and toxin sacs. 75% of their shots will hit, whereas a deathspitter will hit 1/3 of the time and have a reduction of scatter the rest of the time enough to make the difference hardly noticeable (unless you roll a 12). Typically I've found that I can hit at least 4 models with a blast, usually 5, whereas a devourer will statistically hit 3 when twin-linked at Bs3. Against Marines, a Devourer at S4 will wound on a re-rollable 4+, making for a 75% wound rate, whereas a Deathspitter at S6 will wound on a 2+, making for a 83.3% wound rate and a chance to damage vehicles up to AV12. Deathspitters have an AP value, Devourers do not, which can make a difference against horde units. Lastly, Deathspitters have a 6" greater range than devourers, allowing me to use them earlier.

So I save 4 points by hitting 4-5 models instead of 3, wounding 83.3% instead of 75%, having a 6" greater range, having an AP value and being able to damage vehicles. Oh, and they're better in close combat.
    Last edited by lLonginus; December 24th, 2008 at 18:06.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    Typically I've found that I can hit at least 4 models with a blast, usually 5, whereas a devourer will statistically hit 3 when twin-linked at Bs3.
    Unit coherency is 2". The blast only has a radius of 1.5". You must place the center of the blast template over one of the models. If you're opponent takes the least bit of care spreading his models out, there is no way your blasts should hit more than one or two models without a lucky scatter. There are situations that force a unit to cluster (gathering in cover, just arrived via deep strike, ect) but in general you cannot expect a massive amount of hits from a blast weapon. TL devourers make a much more reliable troop killer. Deathspitters are reserved more for higher toughness/armor units. No reason you can't take a squad of each though.
    Last edited by mojo666; December 24th, 2008 at 19:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A careful opponent will spread out his troops, but thats when you hope for a scatter!

I have run what I call a Boom! list which takes 9 x warriors with the set up above, 2 Boomfexes, and 3 Gunfexes. Its a lot of fun, but you really have to watch out when the enemy starts to move in. I have killed my own troops more than once with an errant blast

Putting out 6 large blasts and 8 small blasts per turn is just a lot of fun.

Oh yeah... Dont let your opponent try to take away any casualties until your entire warrior squad is done shooting... Its a rule my opponents seem to 'forget' quite a bit!
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo666
    If you're opponent takes the least bit of care spreading his models out, there is no way your blasts should hit more than one or two models without a lucky scatter.
    Alright, assume that you only reliably hit two models per shot. Devourers hit three times. Deathspitters have a superior to-wound rate, superior range, superior AP value, and are 4 points cheaper per model. Even assuming that your opponent is extremely obsessive about maximizing his models' unit coherency (and in a straight line, circles can easily cause 3 hits with the slightest scatter) you'll find similar results before you factor in superior range, ability to damage vehicles, AP, and cost. The only situation in which a TL Devourer Warrior would be superior to a Deathspitter Warrior would be when firing against a lone model with a low-medium toughness.

Add in that models are typically positioned closer together (LOS issues, staying in cover, not enough space on the board, etc) and that models that deep-strike or disembark from a transport will be positioned base to base, and you're scoring at least 3 hits on average with a Deathspitter (definitely more on Deep-strikers and disembarkers) and you'll be killing many more models on average, for less points (and you have an extra edge in close combat with Scything Talons).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast