Starting nids help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting nids help

My little brother is interseted in starting tyranids. I am normally a CSM player and cant help him that much, so I figure you guys can help. He is getting a battleforce, codex and broodlord form various sources and I was wondering what else to get him. I dont have unlimited recources so I want to keep it under $35 or whatever that is in euros. The dex, force and lord are set in stone and already bought and I just want to get hime something useful and not a piece of junk. Also, what kind of things are almost required for a nid army, what upgrades and tactics work well, what should he not do?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to help your bro out for under 35$ I would pick him up a box of genestealers. That way he has a squad for troops and another for retinue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really want to help your brother out and really go that extra mile, I would heartily recommend getting a hive tyrant. Now, it is $45, so it's $10 over your limit, but it is hands down the single best thing in a nid army. And to make it even sweeter you could order him some dragon wings to model onto it.

Now if that's too much, I would say get some more warriors. You can always use more warriors, and with the extra 3 you could do 3 ranged and 3 CC warriors to meet whatever your needs are.

A Vespertine Viper's Nest Of Sublime Wickedness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Alternatively, get him a zoanthrope or two. Not sure how much that will be in dollars, only that it'll be similar to the cost in pounds.

Bloody credit crunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help so far. Im not that familiar with nids and he is already getting a brood lord so would using 2 HQs be okay if I got him a Tyrant? I play CSM and we generally try to avoid 2 HQs but would it work in nids? Also I forgot to mention he already has 10 termagaunts and 6 genestealers form the battle of Macragge. Lastly, what upgrads should he go for when he assembles these?

again thanks for the help.

A Vespertine Viper's Nest Of Sublime Wickedness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

2 HQs is very common in nid armies.

upgrades... I like to run my stealers with scything talons, but flesh hooks are a must imho.

Get him to write up a list before he assembles too many models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

It really depends who his opponet is going to be. If it is you, and im assuming here, than you may want to pick up something that would give him a chance vs your hertical power armour (Sorry bout that im a loyalist player).

Any way if you have alot of tanks than a few zoanthropes with warp blast, and possible synapse would be great! If you have a infantry heavy list than buy him a hive tyrant with some wings and put 2 TL devours on it.

On the point of warriors, im not to sure itd be worth the time, i have warriors and they never do as much as my tyrant, or carnis, or zoanthropes so i wouldnt buy them.

With his gene stealers tell him to give them sycthing talons+toxin sacks+adrenal clans for WS and possibly extended carapce. This group along with the broodlord would reack REAL havoc among your men (or any for that matter).

With the termies just standard fleshborers.

Also with the battleforce (which i beleive has a very beutiful carni in it) upgrade the carni with enhanced sense, barbed strangler, and venomn cannon, or alternitvley he could use TL devourers, it again depends on the composition of the army hes playing agianst.

Thats all for now. If you have any questions dont be afraid to contact and nid player. (Really we dont bite, its just our troops that do that . Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For his battleforce carni i would recomend the sniperfex (venom cannon barbed strangler and enhanced senses) as this fex build works against any army you play aginst ive used it effectively against orks eldar and space marines. For warriors he has to use them until he gets more figs i know im in the same boat right now i run mine with deathspitters extended carapace and scything talons. It is a bit annoying resolving three blast markers per shooty phase but you usually get one uber hit round where they either dont scatter or scatter very little letting you dish out huge numbers of hits. For genestealers i always run mine with flesh hooks and scuttlers but the broodlord retinue is a little different. First you dont need scuttlers in the retinue since the bl gives them infiltrate letting them outflank without paying extra for it. Flesh hooks are a must you dont want to give up your high initiative when charging into terrain which when you outflank you do a lot. For the broodlord retiunue i would give them flesh hooks scything talons and extended carapace so everyone in the unit has the same armor save keeping everything simple for all parties involved besides the majority armor save is what is used so spending those extra points on the broodlord rarely comes into play. Oh and unless the fifth ed rules change dont bother with termagaunts theyre not worth the points spinegaunts are the way to go just as survivable but one point less each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I have to say one thing about the gaunts in response to dude's post. I've run the numbers and while the termagaunts might cost one more point that point is worth it for the extra killing power. Adding +1S helps them out very much against MEQs, and with twin-linked being the reverse of Living Ammo, he will wound more often using the fleshborer than using the spinefist. That's my two cents on that.

Otherwise as stated above running two HQ's is pretty much the norm for a 'Nid army. You don't usually see a BL all by himself as HQ without a Hive Tyrant to back him up.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    215 (x4)

Search Ebay for some good deals to quickly add some bulk to your army

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast