War Walkers or Wraithguard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Better for killing Space Marines

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wraithlord with Starcannon and Shuiken Cannon

7 25.00%
  • 2 Warwalkers with 2 Scatterlasers each

21 75.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

War Walkers or Wraithguard

So i'm tring to finish up my army list (Even though i've already posted a finished one) But i keep thinking that a squad of warwalkers might do better then a 2nd wraithlord. I need something for killing space marines and i thought that a wraithlord with a starcannon and a shurkin cannon would do the trick. but seeing all the talk about how great a warwalker is with 2 scatterlasers are i'm indecicive again. Could any one help me see the goods and bads of these two units.

Here's a link to my army list

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...eyas-list.html

Thanks for you help guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I've never seen a wraithlord with quite that kit so I couldn't tell you how effective it would be in practice but starcannons have lost out to the scatterlasers in the most recent edition. The volume of shots and tactical flexibility of the scatterlaser walkers will most likely out do a wraithlord of equivalent points. Wraithlords are big and scary and best set up to take out the opponent's big and scaries.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x3)

The warwalkers are leagues ahead of the wraithlord in this situation. They'll be better at taking out just about everything. Also, that's a pretty poor wraithlord, the only thing I use wraithlord's for is anti-tank.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agre with both Dekendo and ShadowcatX, two war walkers with scatter lasers. I also only use my wraithlords for AT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what about survivability? Warwalkers look like they would drop like rocks as soon as any one decided to pay attention to them. bolters could kill them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

You are correct, they are made of cardboard so if you are looking for something that will absorb alot of shots then the walkers are NOT it. However, with their scout move, outflanking, and 36" range, they can stay away from combat fairly well. If you are looking for something to take as much or more punishment than a tank then the wraithlord is your boy, just consider giving him a different loadout and realize that he wont have the volume of shots that the walkers will get for the same points. You pay for either quality or quantity.

Here are some ideas for your wraithlord:

0. Allways use flamers because they will most often benefit you more than the shuriken catapults.

1. Scatterlaser and shurikencannon: it won't have 20+ shots like the walkers would but it still pours out a decent amount of shots and will out perform the starcannon in most cases. Any player worth his salt will keep his marines in cover making the starcannons somewhat worthless. This will be more durable than three walkers but again you sacrifice the volume of fire.

2. Shurikencannon and sword: This is cheep (comparative to other wraithlords) and can be scary running straight at you, especially when backed up by more equally scary wraithlords setup for long range fighting.

The most important tip I can give is to pick a strategy and stick with it. If you mix and match it will make your opponent's job easy. Make them make hard choices as to what needs to die and when. This will force openings and make your job easier.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i echo what the others have said. personally, i don't even conciously make a decision any more, its already done for me. tim the toolman taylor said it best, "MORE POWER!!!" and war walkers give it to you. being able to pump out 24 s6 36" shots a round, especially when combined with a farseer with both doom and guide is just a glorius thing to watch. the trick i use, when using walkers (which find their way into all my lists in one form or another), make the enemy player have a more scary/imminent effect than your walkers, keep them back, out of LoS of his better AT. i like using an avatar with pathfinders. i find that this combo tends to eat up a TON of enemy firepower. especially with pathfinders have a 2+ cover, and the avatar damn near invinible (he has performed very well for me in the past.

have fun, and hopevul
    War is my master; Death my mistress.
    Maugan Ra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I go for the wraithlord simply because they look waaaaaaaay cooler and more imposing. Just think, if you were a space marine, would you rather be facing what is essentially an AT-ST or a giant undead killing machine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are some tough things to think about. Hmm...What if i give you what i've been trying to do with my list. I'm going to try and have a big scary block of wraithguard following an Avatar. I was going to have the wraithlord with them to do some shooting with the formation perhaps also give me some Spece marine killing power. My problem is i don't have all my models yet to use in my test games.

Well your votes tell me to go with the war walkers and i guess i'll go with them unless any of you think that i'm making a terrible mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

If your looking to advance on the enemy then I say wraithlord all the way. If your looking for some covering fire then go walkers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast