Best Use For Wraith Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Best Use For Wraith Guard

As the title might suggest, I am curious to read what you might think is the best way to use Wraith Guard. How many do you field per squad, how do you kit out your warlock, etc.

I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't!!! LOL!!! i have 10 of em, and i think i've only ever fielded them twice, and that was only with 5 of em!! hahaha!!! so, im interested to see what other people have to say.

trav
    War is my master; Death my mistress.
    Maugan Ra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I have used Wraithguard once or twice. They are actualy realy good for holding objectives on your side of the board. People always forget that 10 Wraithguard with a Spiritseer can be used as a troops choice. A very expensive troops choice if that

But ofcourse all of this depends if your sticking with the craftworld fluff or not too. Techinaly speaking only Iyanden should be usuing Wraithguard as a troop choice.

On a side note I also field them if i know im going up against some highly Armoured stuff. A13 or A14 usualy. A penetrating hit on a 5 or a 6 is very nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Fortuneseer, conceal spiritseer, 10 wraithguard it comes in at around 500 points but this is incredibly durable. Works as a great screen for the rest of your army and it will kill just about anything it shoots at. They are fearless so will never run and with them scoring to the last one it makes them great for advancing into the teeth of an enemy to grab an objective. They force the enemy to move or focus fire on them saving your other units. Now with the point cost lists generally need to be built with them in mind but I've seen wraithguard work wonderfully. The 5 man in a serpent is fair AT and it will generally survive alot of return fire unlike firedragons that are one hit wonders most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

I'm quite interested in this discussion as a friend at my club uses a 10 man Wraithguard squad. He always took 10 with a spiritseer with conceal and either a fortune farseer (ususally with runes) or more comonly Eldrad. This is a huge block of points, 500-600 I beleive.

He had some success with this loadout, in the right situation they were very frightening, but they tend to succomb to the same fate every game - they would get tied up by a by a basic tactical squad for most of the game, sometimes they were even killed by it! Also, I usually take Terminators, so all I really needed to do was keep them tied down long enough for the Terminators to get in.

After having them killed by Terminators one too many times he started taking 5 in a Wave Serpent with a spiritseer (either conceal or enhance) and sometimes put a farseer in there.
    He actually had a lot of success with this loadout, they come in a bit cheaper overall, particularly if you take them without the seer, and they tend to be just as good at killing things you actually need them for (i.e. tanks and MCs), but suddenly their mediocre range and mobility becomes excellent so you don't have to wait for something to come to you.

You loose out by not having them as a troop choice, but having such a large block of troops forces you into being too conservative with them anyway. They are for going in and taking out the opponent's tough units. Leave claiming to Dire Avengers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Xethemez View Post
    I'm quite interested in this discussion as a friend at my club uses a 10 man Wraithguard squad. He always took 10 with a spiritseer with conceal and either a fortune farseer (ususally with runes) or more comonly Eldrad. This is a huge block of points, 500-600 I beleive.

He had some success with this loadout, in the right situation they were very frightening, but they tend to succomb to the same fate every game - they would get tied up by a by a basic tactical squad for most of the game, sometimes they were even killed by it! Also, I usually take Terminators, so all I really needed to do was keep them tied down long enough for the Terminators to get in.
    That, in my opinion, is the true problem of wraithguard. A single squad with a powerfist will usually chew through them with little difficulty. Or they will be held up in combat where their impressive guns can do nothing.

After having them killed by Terminators one too many times he started taking 5 in a Wave Serpent with a spiritseer (either conceal or enhance) and sometimes put a farseer in there.
    He actually had a lot of success with this loadout, they come in a bit cheaper overall, particularly if you take them without the seer, and they tend to be just as good at killing things you actually need them for (i.e. tanks and MCs), but suddenly their mediocre range and mobility becomes excellent so you don't have to wait for something to come to you.
    True, this kind of unit can work well, but one question immediately springs to mind. If you want a serpent borne squad of tank busters or mc killers, why not just grab a handful of firedragons, they shoot just as hard and cost a whole lot less.

You loose out by not having them as a troop choice, but having such a large block of troops forces you into being too conservative with them anyway. They are for going in and taking out the opponent's tough units. Leave claiming to Dire Avengers!
    I couldn't agree more. Sure a farseer with fortune and a 10 man squad of wraithguard with a conceal warlock is rock hard, but in most 40k matches it will represent around 1/3 of your points, and that is simply too much to devote to claiming an objective. For the same price you can get several squads of troops that can claim objectives just as well.

Wraithguards are one of the units that I really want to like, but I have yet to see the justification for including them (apart from fluff). Having them footslog means the enemy can ignore them for a large part of the game, while sticking them in a serpent means they are downgraded to little more than extra tough firedragons. It is a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

/Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I think the biggest weakness of them has been pointed out, getting tied up in melee or being killed in melee by units with power fists. But I've also found them to be wonderful tarpits for harlies and shining spears to hit and run out of melees with. Keeping a melee unit close to dig them out is almost required if you run the full 10 man unit as its to many points to be sitting around doing 1 swing around. They will actually do alright if there are no powerfists though as even power weapons generally need a 6 to wound. ( had a group tie up lucius and 6 possessed marines that got power weapons for 6 combats before finally wearing them out and killing them ) An extra attack or a slight reduction in price would make them more appealling but with care they rarely die and their shooting rightfully scares everything in the game.

The big advantage wraithguard have over firedragons is survival. I know alot of the time my dragons are dead after they get their first tank as every bolter/pulserifle/catapult is shot at them. wraithguard require much bigger guns to be killed quickly. Now if that survival is worth the price is much more questionable.

PS mindwar can be a fun way of getting rid of the hidden powerfists in units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are only 2 reasons i can see for fielding guard of dragons in a serpent...

#1 I might be wrong, but guard are better at taking out liths, so if you are someone who uses the same list against all comers, they might be handier in this situation.

#2 If your serpent gets taken out before you can get anywhere, firedragons get shot to pieces as they have to foot slog up to take out their targets, whereas wraithguard will be fine

However... I think currently dragons are way better, they are much cheaper, take out termies better, as well as most tanks, etc. It's rare to come across something with toughness higher than 6 that you need to kill with firedragons, so most of the time they are 2+ to wound, and they'll have more shots than guard because you can field more of them. I really really love the wraithguard, they were the first Eldar units I ever bought... but I just can't see myself using them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But if you know that your wraithguard are going to get tar pitted couldn't you just use them for that purpose. I like that idea with the shinning spears. If you know that the enemy is going to charge them get ready for it and counter charge kill the unit and move on.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

Personally, I don't use wraithguard. IMO they're over costed and do not fit in, at all, with the eldar style of play. I suppose that they could be effective against 'crons, but that would be the only time I would consider them.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast