Daemons vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Daemons vs Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daemons vs Tau

Hey,

I was in my local GW store and had a 1500 point battle against Daemons. My list was pretty simple as I was in to paint and not game. It basicly consisted of 3 squads of FW (no devil fish because I was painting), 4 battlesuits including commander, 3 stealthsuits, hammerhead and vespids. I know that the list I used wasn't that good but when the enemy is all mostly nurgle and is rolling 6's to move there's not much you can do to stop them. I only got about one turn of shooting on the left flank before it was gone and I had to move the whole army to 'get out of dodge'.

Maybe it was because I was unlucky but my FWs couldn't even kill nurglings (which was very different from the battle before this which was against space marines and 6 fire warriors managed to kill a terminator in combat!).

So any help on this overpowered-army-of-freaks-from-the-warp would be good.

-Simon-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Sounds mostly like you just had a bad game. (Although you might want to consider dropping the overpriced Vespids.)

I'd like to think that Tau have a certain advantage against Daemons, as our mobility should allow us to react to their initial deepstrikes. Also, plenty of high Strength weapons help against ridiculously tough Nurgle beasties.

As they never really deploy the same way twice, the advice I'll give you is a bit more generalized.

You'll have to get used to identifying the biggest current threat (usually the units that will reach you first), and pour everything into them until they're gone. You'll never make Daemons break and run, so don't stop shooting at a unit until its completely wiped. This is also how one deals with things like carnifexes.

"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, next time I play him I'll stack up on devilfish so I can out maneuver him. As for picking the highest threats he was playing a fully unpainted army and the undercoat was quite thick so most of it looked the same except blood letters and big-nurgle-beast. I will read my daemon codex and get used to the models and rules. The vespids were only really there because I was going to paint them but never got round to it (you know the feeling when you hat painting the same thing over and over, like fire warriors, but after a while you don't want to paint anything else?).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I've only faced Daemons once with my Tau and was fortunate enough to obliterate them with only the loss of my Kroot and a Fire Warrior unit. Part of that success was undoubtedly due to the fact that my opponent wasn't using any flying greater daemons and had no shooting beyond three soul grinders. What worked for me was to create a defensive perimiter in one corner of the board and wait to pounce on any unit that got too close, racing to claim objectives late game. By holing up in a corner, I reduced the frontage that the daemons could surround me on, and I could force my way out by hammering away on one flank or another.

I'm not sure how this strategy would work with a faster army with lots of jump troops and greater daemons, however, so YMMV.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread