Wych Cult Tactica - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wych Cult Tactica

I was thinking of starting a Wych Cult style army. So I was just wondering if any players played this style and what method/style of play works best.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

In a nut shell I am a Wych Cult player by heart, it was the first list I ever played and with a wwp list I was pretty much un-affraid of anyone (especially when I used Kroot allies to supplement the list).

Now in 5th, True line of sight has decimated my 4th edition WWP Cult list coupled with the new consolidation rules and the devastating "troops as scoring units" rule. It was like 5th edition was the rebirth of Slaanesh (she who thirsts) and consumed my Wych Cult army - even the Kroot allies became unsupported.

I tried to work it with the wwp for the LVGT a month after 5th came out but the kept getting devasted - the wwp carriers couldn't hide and in a cult list the warriors were the carriers. After 4 or 5 games of disappointment (except for the one draw I got) I gave up the ghost as time was running out on the GT. I ended up using a wwp Kabal list with grotesques and Haemys as wwp carriers only to find out that that was only slightly better. There were only 3 Dark Eldar players at that GT and only one of us played Wych Cult - that guy came in 2nd to LAST. It was a Lelith raider rush list that just constantly got hammered. It was definitely a 4th edition list trying to pretend it wasn't 5th. The player was adamant that Wych Cult was the true way to adust to 5th and I just looked at him in disbelief.

So what kind of army I play now? I am fielding mostly "Coven" lists now with a kind of "raider & warrior spam" flavor where I max out the number of warrior squads with max weapons in a max populated troop unit (10 man raider squads and 16+ foot warrior squads). Shooting has been bumped up and assault has been bumped down and I find a tough-shooty Coven list (knda like a chaos nurgle list DE style) to be more productive than it was in 4th - I believe I have harmony in this kind of list.

If I was going to try Wych Cult again I would try to have at least 5 troop choices and at least one distracter unit (bikes or beasts) with Lelith as one of the HQ's. It would be a raider rush list and simply just "bum" rush the enemy using Lelith, beasts and bikes as the spearhead. I do not have much confidence in this kind of list - I am unsure it would work.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started playing, and only up to 750pts.. but with a pimped out HQ, wych squad, ravager with dissies, warriors to distract, and haemies with destructors(if i have the points) i've done damn well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

I really think the Wych Cult only works in Annihilation-style games. Unfortunately, you really can't choose the mission so it's really up in the air.

However, I feel that if you were determined to use a Wych Cult, it would be especially important to avoid pushing your (obvious) disadvantages. For instance, many Wych Cults are dropped from a WWP, which has become increasingly dangerous with 5th edition, so footslogging warriors buried in cover may be the best option.

Also, I believe its very important for you, being the Dark Eldar player, to make sure you are constantly on the offensive, since Wyches pretty much have 0 objective holding power. The Warriors can sit back on an objective, but since they can't hold it, I think that a turn 5 or 6 Raider full o' Wyches dash will settle that issue.

Other than that, I expect to see most enemy objectives contested rather than captured unless you have the final turn, where your Wyches simply hit and run.

I hope this provided a little more insight, but in all fairness, I think a Raider Rush Kabal is simply more versatile.

-On the other hand, FIRST POST in a looong time! I hope to stick around here for a bit, college and stuff got in the way. I'm home, LO!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by tomsh View Post
    I just started playing, and only up to 750pts.. but with a pimped out HQ, wych squad, ravager with dissies, warriors to distract, and haemies with destructors(if i have the points) i've done damn well.
    FYI, in a wych cult list you can not take haemonculi. You can't take DE lords, grots, or Taloi for that matter either
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabbala View Post
    FYI, in a wych cult list you can not take haemonculi. You can't take DE lords, grots, or Taloi for that matter either
    Totally replied to the wrong thread
    Last edited by tomsh; January 4th, 2009 at 02:28.

+ Reply to Thread