"What if...?" - Warp Field - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"What if...?" - Warp Field

Hello fellow 'Nid players and those lurking our part of the forums! I wanted to ask you all about your opinions on the above-mentioned biomorph and also get your opinions on possible variations of it. Of course to keep to rules we can't talk about its actual cost, but generally speaking do you find this biomorph "worth it" for the points you pay? I know it's kind of open as everyone's areas and local store's game environments are different but we're speaking in general.

Also, how much would you be willing to pay if it gave you a higher invul save? 5+? 4+? Heck, for a 5+ save I'd personally free up the points to buy it at 50 or 55. But extending this to the realm of the hypothetical, what if any Synapse creature could take this biomorph (even to a modified/lesser extent). Would you pay 30ish points to slap it on a Warrior? A Broodlord?

What if in some future edition our race has evolved the Camoflague ability like Lictors available to many other units? I'd be willing to pay 5-8 points a head to put that on Genestealers...maybe even 4 each for lowly Spinegaunts!

Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I think that warp field is only worth it if your Tyrant has wings, in which case I consider it mandatory. If he/she doesn't have wings, then just carapace will do. Personally I think the 6+ inv is kind of laughable, you can't really consider that protection at all. Once in a blue moon it'll save me, to my opponent's extreme disappointment, but you can never count on it.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then to play Devil's Advocate or simply be a Negative Nancy for purposes of this thread, you feel that despite the prevalence of high AP ranged weapons and power [insert various body part here] still make the high cost of its upgrade worth it? Wouldn't it be wonderful if we had the equivalent of a cybork body (cheap troop invul saves) or custom forcefield (all units within X" get a cover save) instead?

How great would it be if Toxic Miasma, even in close combat, gave us even a 5+ cover save or the like? Or if that gave the unit something like the Lictor's camoflague (at a higher price to be fair). You'd think with a large, billowing cloud of spores or whatnot...
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I would prefer instead of them making warp field better or giving us more invuln saves they just made our biomorphs and base unit costs a little cheaper i would be happy. I have no problems with my units getting slaughtered by bolter fire or not getting much of a save in hth because i have so many of them. If they gave us the lower point costs like they did for orks and are rumoredly doing for guard that would toot my horn. Maybe 13 or 14 pt genestealers or let them come with flesh hooks or something of the like standard or lowering costs on the warp field and other biomorphs for your tyrant and fex and warriors would do it for me in a big way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x3)

I only will take it if my Tyrant has wings, and then only for the save to keep him safe from Battle Cannons and Missile Launchers. I think it is a tad overcosted, we pay for crappy Terninator Arrmor and end up paying more for it (of course the Tyrant has better base stats though). I think it would be justified in its cost if it gavea 5+ save, still would only save you once in a blue moon, but it would be twice as good as a 6+ (which only saves me once every three games).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...only two units in the entire army can get warp field, and one gets it for free. So, I suppose the actual question is: 'Would it ever be worth taking warp field on a non-winged tyrant?'

The answer to that question is: "No, never."

Dont forget, though, that the HT can take tyrant guard, which for what they cost is a stunning deal. Each one is two ablative To. 6 wounds, and not bad at CC to boot. So, its not like GW left us high and dry on protecting our tyrants.

I cant really argue whether Warp field with x+ invulnerable save for x pts is better than tyrant guard for x pts, but I hardly ever take a walking tyrant with less than two tyrant guards.

Now all we need is winged tyrant guard and we are set
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Annoch View Post
    heck yes
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Annoch View Post
    I think I might smell an actual use for Gargoyles here...

+ Reply to Thread