New Carnifex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: which kind of fex?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • sniperfex (es bs vc)

5 25.00%
  • dakkafex (es 2xtl devourers)

11 55.00%
  • other

4 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Carnifex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Carnifex

I bought my first battleforce a month ago and i modelled the carnifex as a sniperfex (es bs vc). Well i will hopefully be buying a second one in the next few weeks and was wondering if i should model the carni as another sniperfex or go for a dakkafex (es 2xtl devo). Im torn between the balance of armor killing and horde/infantry killing of the sniperfex and the awesome infantry/horde killing of the dakkafex plus its ability to take an elites slot in a 1500+pt game. Any help on this would be a great help. Oh and i know i should magnetize it but right now i want to get it assembled asap so i have my 1000pts of nids so i can start participating in the local tournaments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I am starting to sound like a broken record, but here goes....

Magentize your Carnifexes (and probably your warriors too....)

The ability to swap out heads and arms between lists and games is incredable. And when you figure that all of the magnets you need cost less than one carnifex, its a great deal too.

The magnets I use are from Strong Neodymium Magnets Rare Earth K&J Magnetics

You will want disc magnets in 3/16" x 1/32". K&J Magnetics - Products

100 of them is only $10 before shipping. I did 7 fexes along with all of the scytals, guns, heads, etc I would ever need and I have a few left over.

I would also suggest 1/8" x 1/32" for magentizing warriors and other small items.

Just put a little green stuff in the socket and stick your magnet in there. I have never had a magnet come out of green stuff. then just slice off a flat spot on the arm or whatever (the heads need some filling) and glue the magnet on there. Just make sure that all your poles line up as you go.

And then, you will never have to worry about which 'fex you should make because you can make either of them with only a few seconds of putting different arms, etc on.

And for your origianl question.....both are great fexes. Dakka fexes are the premier in elite fexes, and most of my 2000 pt lists run at least 2 of them. Gun or Sniper fexes fit perfectly in the heavy support spot. But i guess you cant go wrong with either of them.

Good luck!
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

I'd go sniperfex. We need the anti-tank firepower, though if you wanted solely anti-tank then tl'd VC would be the best. A sniperfex is currently better though due to the ability to kill swarms. 2x dev fexes are good against infantry, but you always need something that can stop tanks.

As for magnetizing... I'd say magnetise the fexes if you just want them plain, but if you have any conversion in mind then don't magnetize because it may make it hard to get it properly in position and stuff. As I enjoy converting my nids (gunslinger sniperfexes look awesome... I'm sure one with 2x VC would look even cooler, but its game prohibitive) I don't magnetize.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

As i "used to be" tyranid player as myself,i picked Dakkafex simply because of how many shots it can fire out when up close.
    Eradicating chav scum since 2005!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*selects other*

Im a strong proponent of a CC fex, Love me some anti squad charging power,

Preferred setup:
    Crushing Claws, Scything Talons, ThornBack
    Adrenal Gland (init)
    Implant Attack
    Tusked
    Mace Tail

Total; 162 pts
    OR

145 pts for a 2x ST Variant.

Love tossing these big guys at a soft front line, allows a lot of freedom for all of your other units, b/c most sane people will concentrate the majority of their attacks on to dropping this frightening thing barreling at their front line, while ignoring your softer more fragile shooters.

This is how I run my guys, tons of scary Fexs and plenty of GeneStealers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preferred setup:
    Crushing Claws, Scything Talons, ThornBack
    Adrenal Gland (init)
    Implant Attack
    Tusked
    Mace Tail
    Elric you have a problem.
    First Dakka Fex is the only way to go .
    Second Thornback is now useless. Go for Spine Banks
    Third Implant attack (why!).
    Fourth WS is a must for CC Fex.

Clarifies: 'Friendly Criticism'
    I'm pawning this to everyone Check out My 'Nids Tactica and give your Oppinion. I'm Desperate for Attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x3)

Trust me, no matter what, MAGNETISE your Carnifexes! I know the feeling of wanting to get points together, but waiting that 3-5 business days for your magnets is of so worth it, and it saves money and piece of mind in the long run.

I went with the Dakkafex, they seem to kill more for cheaper, with the cost of anti-tank. But the Sniperfex has never been reliable for me since 5th edition came around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
    As for magnetizing... I'd say magnetise the fexes if you just want them plain, but if you have any conversion in mind then don't magnetize because it may make it hard to get it properly in position and stuff. As I enjoy converting my nids (gunslinger sniperfexes look awesome... I'm sure one with 2x VC would look even cooler, but its game prohibitive) I don't magnetize.
    I have a few nicely converted fexes (im sure yours look nicer, but hey I do what I can) which are not magnetized. But those are the last ones I did and the first six were all magnets.

I still say that unless you have some really specific plan for your army, you will want to magnetize most of your fexes. At $45 a piece, I would need at least 15 fexes to have just the basics of what I normally use in my lists. I currently have 7 everyday fexes, and I cant imagine I will every need more.
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I'm going to suggest other. But what I really mean is a combination of 'other' and 'Dakkafex'. A Carnifex doing one job is good but opponents can dump something it isn't good at fighting infront of it too easily. The Dakkafex has also lost some punch against vehicles in 5th where the assaulting Carnifexes are much better with running. I think a more flexible Carnifex can work better than the extremes of assaulty or Dakkafex. You also already have a Sniperfex, no need to get two before you explore other options.

Crushing claws and a twinliked devourer for it's weapons. Or if you don't want to pay for crushing claws one pair of scything talons instead. Give it adrenal glands, tusked, (spinebanks, extra shootyness) and enhanced senses for biomorphs. You can always throw in some extended carapace and/or reinforced chitin to make it hard. Or may be a scythe tail so if people assault it and pile in you can chop them into meat!

I find that a Carnifex like this can deliver options in both shooty and assaulty areas. Run it up and then start shooting when the spinebanks are in range. It's guns can mess up squads nearly as well as a Dakkafex. The option to be good at assaulting makes it good at chewing up those squads even more or squishing vehicles. Also it tends to be more of a headache for enemies with it's varied options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Touche, seems that Spine Banks seem to be the better option now that I'm looking over the rules, Good thing too, I havent started my New Hive's fexxs yet, ill have to model them appropriately

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast