First Real Battle report - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

    First Real Battle report

    Welcome to my First official Real Battle Report.
    Up until now, the few games I played against my friends have been mostly learning games and FFA/Team games. So since my friends were busy for the holidays and I had an incurable itch to try an army to try 500 pt army suggested on these forums,

    I found a Game store about 40 min from my house that hosts 40k players every Monday night. I arrived at about 7pm, hoping I would have time to glue a few spare boyz and nobs to their bases. Around 710pm, several players strolled in and proceeded to have a rather intense discussion about all things Warhammer, most of was over my head since I've only played a few games with Ork and I've only read the most recent rules and Ork Codex.

    Finally, there was a break in conversation and I faced off against my first opponent at around 8pm with this force.

    HQ
    Warboss w. PK and Attack Squig 100pts

    Troops
    2x Squad of 20 Slugga boys + Nob w. PK 310pts

    Fast Attack
    2x Squads of 1 Deffkopta with TL Rokkits 90pts


    My opponent pulled out a Tau force that consisted of 3x Shooty squads of 10-12 (fire warriors I think) and a giant robot with a 4" long gun.

    The Terrain was shuffled about rather randomly shuffled about on the map and everything was considered 4+ difficult terrain. This is a lot different than my friends method of delibrately placing terrian in a turn-based order, but it seemed simple and efficient, so I went with it.

    I got first turn and since I wasn't sure where to scout with my Koptas, he suggested assault one of his squads. This didn't work so well vs Necron, but since Tau are so weak in CC, I decided to wing it. I moved 12" towards one of his squads, shot at them and proceeded to launch on assault with both DeffKoptas.
    Unfortunately, my Deffkoptas didn't deal any damage in CC and 1 took a wound. I was told to roll leadership for both seperately (since they were seperate units), but thinking back I wonder if I only should've rolled for the wounded Kopta.
    Regardless, the wounded one passed his roll, but the un-scathed one had to fall-back. The wounded died in CC shortly after, but the other Kopta managed to take out the Giant robot and a couple of Tau and survive with 1 wound.

    In the following turns, the Tau turned their attention to my advancing squad of Boyz and literally shot the closest squad (led by my Warboss) to death. First they took out 5, then 6, and as a final devastating blow, they moved in Rapid Fire Range and dished out at least a dozen wounds on my remaining 9 models, leaving the Warboss as the only survivor with one wound left.

    The Warboss retreated behind some cover and after catching his breath, he charged back into battle on a blood-lusted quest for vengeance. At the same time, my second squad of boyz was closing in on assault range. At this point, both the Warboss and Boyz were in concievable assault range. Depsite having to run through difficult terrain during the Assault, I decided to play the odds and declared my Waauughhh!!

    Fortunately, I rolled well to leave the terrain during my assault phase and both the Warboss and the Boyz closed in on their respective targets.
    A couple of Boyz were lost since the Tau attacked first, but the Boyz absolutely annihilated the Tau, killing 8 out 11, with the nob easily mopping up the remaining 3. The Warboss got extremely lucky and survived his wound with an amazing armour save of 6+. When he finally did attack, he was a bit Clumsy after taken such a beating and only dealt 1 wound (outta 6 attacks!!). Fortunately, that was enough to cause the demoralized foe to retreat be slaughtered in a vengeful sweeping advance.

    The boyz reconsolidated after their overwhelming victory and began to close in on the last squad along with the injured Warboss and Deffkopta. As they closed in their confidence was quickly shattered by another devastating round of rapid-fire. Somehow, my swarm of boyz was whittled down to 10 units (originally 21 I think) losing fearless and forcing a morale check.

    I thought 10 would be easy, but thanks to my wonderful Luck, I rolled BoxCars--Why can't I roll that when my Deffkoptas are shooting!? So my boyz retreated with no chance of regrouping because they were at less than half strength.

    Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. My Warboss bravely charged into battle, but was taken down with one final shot to his beaten body. The Deffkopta got a few attacks but got shot down before he could take anything out.

    SO there it is! I had type this dang thing 3 times so I hope you appreciate it and were thoroughly entertained (on the plus side, I think it got better every time)

    Please respond with any criticism or feedback on my army or any mistakes I may have made. If I could go back, I think I would've replaced the Attack Squig with heavy armour and given a Bosspole to each unit (on the Nobs or Warboss), since a failed morale check is what lost me the game.

    Regardless, I good time..it was a close battle and I should be typing another report soon (for the second game I played).

    Thanks again for reading--hope you enjoyed.!

    Last edited by Darkzephyr; January 1st, 2009 at 06:45.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    8 (x1)

    I'm curious, somewhere in the middleof your report, you said that Tau got first attack in CC and i seem think that this should not have been the case. Obviously they would attack before the Nob and Warboss (because of their klaws) but they should have attacked at the same time in initiative (if they were regular firewarriors). Perhaps it was a typo on your part, and the boyz would have been lost anyways but I just wanted to clarify. Also, since they attacked at the same initiative (or should have), did you roll their attacks as well or no?

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by malbur View Post
    I'm curious, somewhere in the middleof your report, you said that Tau got first attack in CC and i seem think that this should not have been the case. Obviously they would attack before the Nob and Warboss (because of their klaws) but they should have attacked at the same time in initiative (if they were regular firewarriors). Perhaps it was a typo on your part, and the boyz would have been lost anyways but I just wanted to clarify. Also, since they attacked at the same initiative (or should have), did you roll their attacks as well or no?
    Ahh, I see what you mean. Intially they attacked on Init of 1 because they had to move through difficult terrain...at least I think that's how it works

    1. Enter difficult terrain during the Running phase.
    2. Roll 2d6 and take the highest to assault during the assault phase (I'm mentioning this because I'm not sure and I wanted to double-check
    3. Init is reduced to 1 because they're "assaulting through cover" , but they get + 1 init for Furious Charge, meaning they would go on init 2, which is the same time as Tau, right?

    Regardless, I still would have lost the same amount of Boyz and I had more than enough attacks left to finish off the Tau in CC. The problem was in the following turn where I got shot to death via Rapid Fire and went down to 10 guys.

    Speaking of Assaulting through cover, is it ever effiecient to get Stikkbombz for Footsloggas? I don't know if I would want to pay 20 pts to upgrade the whole unit, but I would consider upgrading a nob to Stikkbombs if that's possible. (I know Trukks and the Warboss have them automatically)

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkzephyr View Post
    Unfortunately, my Deffkoptas didn't deal any damage and 1 took a wound. I was told to roll leadership for both seperately (since they were seperate units), but thinking back I wonder if I only should've rolled for the wounded Kopta.
    Regardless, the wounded one passed his roll, but the un-scathed one had to fall-back. The wounded died in CC shortly after, but the other Kopta managed to take out the Giant robot and a couple of Tau and survive with 1 wound.!
    Unless I'm either mistaken about the rules or I don't understand the explanation properly, I believe you were instructed incorrectly on the leadership test for the Deffkoptas. You only take a leadership test in the shooting phase if you've suffered 25% or more casualties. In this case you took a wound, but no casualties so you should not have needed to take a leadership test. Secondly, you're correct, you wouldn't have to take a leadership test on the other kopta because it's a different unit! You got hit with a double mistake!! Both of these things are why so many people on LO suggest you field koptas as single model units, because a small squad of koptas can be so susceptible to leadership test in the shooting phase.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by russ_c View Post
    Unless I'm either mistaken about the rules or I don't understand the explanation properly, I believe you were instructed incorrectly on the leadership test for the Deffkoptas. You only take a leadership test in the shooting phase if you've suffered 25% or more casualties. In this case you took a wound, but no casualties so you should not have needed to take a leadership test. Secondly, you're correct, you wouldn't have to take a leadership test on the other kopta because it's a different unit! You got hit with a double mistake!! Both of these things are why so many people on LO suggest you field koptas as single model units, because a small squad of koptas can be so susceptible to leadership test in the shooting phase.

    Oh, maybe I should clarify, this was during the assault phase when they took one wound

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Age
    30
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    17 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkzephyr View Post
    Ahh, I see what you mean. Intially they attacked on Init of 1 because they had to move through difficult terrain...at least I think that's how it works

    1. Enter difficult terrain during the Running phase.
    2. Roll 2d6 and take the highest to assault during the assault phase (I'm mentioning this because I'm not sure and I wanted to double-check
    3. Init is reduced to 1 because they're "assaulting through cover" , but they get + 1 init for Furious Charge, meaning they would go on init 2, which is the same time as Tau, right?

    Regardless, I still would have lost the same amount of Boyz and I had more than enough attacks left to finish off the Tau in CC. The problem was in the following turn where I got shot to death via Rapid Fire and went down to 10 guys.

    Speaking of Assaulting through cover, is it ever effiecient to get Stikkbombz for Footsloggas? I don't know if I would want to pay 20 pts to upgrade the whole unit, but I would consider upgrading a nob to Stikkbombs if that's possible. (I know Trukks and the Warboss have them automatically)

    regarding the "assault through cover" - on page 36 it says "....to 1 regardless of any other initiative modifier." Thus you always strike at init 1 (even with furious charge). However grenades and other wargear/abilities can change this..

    As for checking morale in CC . you had two units of 1 deffkoptas ? or one unit of 2 ?

    It matters because :

    If you had one unit with 2 deffkoptas, and you took a wound and he did not, then you lost the combat by 1. So you have to check morale at -1 (the negative modifier = the number of wounds by which you lost the combat, page 44 "losing an assault"). If you fail , then the unit falls back (or is killed in a sweeping advance).

    If you had two units of 1 deffkopta assaulting one FW squad, then you must refer to "multiple combats" at page 41. If your side takes a wound (one of the koptas) and the enemy does not, then you loose the combat and must check morale. Then every loosing unit in the combat must take a morale test (with the penalty for the # wounds you lost by). The enemy may sweeping advance all unit that falls back as long as it is not engaged by an enemy who did not fall back (if that made sense). page 41 explains it better

    Also, from experience playing against and watching the ork hordes play, may I sugest some Lootas ? These guys stuck in cover is a pain in the . At least they are most of the time.

    Cheers

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    12 (x1)

    Darkzephyr,

    First of all, fantastic battle report. You did a very nice job describing what you had, what he had, and the sequence of events. Also, I like that you posted what you thought made a difference, and that you gave your boyz some perspective. Great!

    I played Tau myself a while ago, and I'm looking to get back into 40k with some Orks. I played an all infantry force with no Devilfish, no Hammerheads, and multiple squads of gun drones. My plan was to put as many bullets on the table as possible, and dare my opponents to try and reach my lines. It was a very dominant strategy, as I think I won more store credit through tournaments than the entire army cost me.

    That said, an infantry heavy Tau force is virtually impossible to walk into. They can put so many shots on the table at range, that you were lucky to get a squad and a warboss into his lines. Congratulations on making that work!

    A tau infantry force is susceptible to speed, however. I think you could have traded a deffkopta for a trukk and placed yourself in combat a little more quickly. In addition, you need to expect to destroy a squad of fire warriors in one assault. Then what?

    With my tau I would often sacrifice a squad, or even initiate an assault to expose an enemy unit to some overwhelming firepower. You will find a shooty army is more manageable if you can deny the volley after your assault, or even better if you can assault more than one unit at a time. Do your best to reach components of two squads. This prevents two squads from shooting the next turn, and hopefully lets you finish the close combat on his assault phase, freeing up your squad for your turn. Even if your boyz don't destroy those two squads, you've now allowed a large component of your force to advance without taking more fire.

    On another note, I think Stormboyz are great against static armies. While I was playtesting my Orks againt a buddy with a Chaos army, I was able to use them to demoralizing effect. He had a squad of havocs with heavy bolters behind a CSM squad behind his deamon prince. He seemed braced for impact from stormboyz and a squad of trukk boyz at his front lines. I did plow into his prince with the trukk boyz, but I jumped over his prince and CSM squad with the stormboyz, charging his havocs and part of his CSM squad from behind. Instead of him losing one unit and pelting me with return fire, I krumped his DP and tied up two squads with stormboyz. This allowed the trukk squad to survive and reinforce my stormboyz. All in all, I took down over 400 points of chaos with minimal casualties. More importantly, I completely demoralized my opponent, as he didn't expect me to jump past his defenses and prevent his counterfire plan.

    Nice report, and I'll be looking for the next one.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    340
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Valthonis View Post
    regarding the "assault through cover" - on page 36 it says "....to 1 regardless of any other initiative modifier." Thus you always strike at init 1 (even with furious charge). However grenades and other wargear/abilities can change this..

    As for checking morale in CC . you had two units of 1 deffkoptas ? or one unit of 2 ?

    It matters because :

    If you had one unit with 2 deffkoptas, and you took a wound and he did not, then you lost the combat by 1. So you have to check morale at -1 (the negative modifier = the number of wounds by which you lost the combat, page 44 "losing an assault"). If you fail , then the unit falls back (or is killed in a sweeping advance).

    If you had two units of 1 deffkopta assaulting one FW squad, then you must refer to "multiple combats" at page 41. If your side takes a wound (one of the koptas) and the enemy does not, then you loose the combat and must check morale. Then every loosing unit in the combat must take a morale test (with the penalty for the # wounds you lost by). The enemy may sweeping advance all unit that falls back as long as it is not engaged by an enemy who did not fall back (if that made sense). page 41 explains it better

    Also, from experience playing against and watching the ork hordes play, may I sugest some Lootas ? These guys stuck in cover is a pain in the . At least they are most of the time.

    Cheers
    yeh, I'm a bit confused still.

    I had 2 units of 1 Deffkopta. Just one unit took a wound, the other unit (1 Kopta) was fine. So do BOTH units need to make a morale check since I still lost?

    If I still have to check morale for both units, then I don't understand what the difference is. I guess it means I roll 2 morale checks so one might stay stuck in combat. Is that how it works?

    As for the Lootas. I don't have any models right now, but I may be getting some or I may just try to Kustomize or Konvert some of my boys or Nobs to those units, but I need to find some Big guns. Either way, I'm not sure, but they might be a bit expensive for a 500pts force.

    @ Seppuku.

    Sounds like some good solid Ork strats there. Right now I only have the Models from AOBR. I actually bought another AoBR set and some boyz to possibley Kustomize or Konvert, but I'm not sure where to get the right guns for Lootas and other things to make them somewhat resemble the units they are supposed to be.

    Anyways, in regards to your strats of using Fast attack...I guess I'm not sure how to use them. I thought of rushing in to tie up his last Shooty Squad with my Deffkopta, but I'm afraid it might die in CC and then they could still fire at me. Isn't think also possible with Stormboyz? I mean all you have to do is lose combat by 1 wound and you'll be forced to retreat which still lets them fire on their turn.
    Last edited by Darkzephyr; January 2nd, 2009 at 20:54.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Age
    30
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    17 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkzephyr View Post
    yeh, I'm a bit confused still.

    I had 2 units of 1 Deffkopta. Just one unit took a wound, the other unit (1 Kopta) was fine. So do BOTH units need to make a morale check since I still lost?

    If I still have to check morale for both units, then I don't understand what the difference is. I guess it means I roll 2 morale checks so one might stay stuck in combat. Is that how it works?
    The simplest way to put it would be :

    Both your units are treated as "your side" in an assault with more than one unit.
    Thus when/if you lose the assault, all units on your side must check morale (seperately).
    So yes, while one unit may run away, the other may stay. Also if only one runs away then the enemy may NOT sweeping advance the unit that ran away.

    Cheers

  11. #10
    LO Zealot mynameisgrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Freehold, NJ
    Posts
    4,014
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

    Hmm...

    During the shooting phase, wounds are not considered 'casulaties'. You shouldn't have had to take a leadership test until one of the koptas actually died. In close combat it's another story. There, all wounds count against you when determining who wins, but in shooting casualties mean just that: actual kills.

    Nice battle report ^_^. Tau are unfortunately pretty good against units of Orks, especially when we're on foot. Personally, I wouldn't have assaulted with the deffkoptas right away. I would have just raced around and shot the enemy up from a long distance away, distracting them from your more vulnerable Ork boyz, or assaulted with them the same turn the boyz reached close combat.

    More long range fire support and/or fast units would have helped in this list, like Lootas, Killa Kans, rokkit buggies and such. Kommandos would have also helped mess with the enemy back lines. Instead of a warboss, a big mek with a kustom force field would have helped more. The orks are already good at close combat. What they really need is some sort of protection. A unit of grotts and a Shokk Attakk gun could have also been fun, since it can fire from so far away.

    You also have to watch out for the 'pawn sacrifice' tactic of many shooty armies. They'll have a unit up front that can be easily assaulted and killed, but after you win, you're left in rapid fire range of one or more other units in his army. A good way around this is to hit the further away enemies with quick or outflanking units, like trukks, bikes, kommandos, deffkoptas and such, while the footsloggers tear the front to pieces.

    All in all, it sounds like you did fairly well, but the Tau can shred Ork armies pretty good unless you get into close combat quickly. Once there, winning is no problem. The trick is getting there before you're shot to pieces.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; January 2nd, 2009 at 21:45. Reason: grammar
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts