Eldar and dipping - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldar and dipping

I was thinking about trying to do dipping for my eldar army... does anyone think this is a good idea? I thought they may end up having a darker edge to them, which I kinda like. However, the dipping thread says start with lightest color first... I'm assuming that's just normal paint techniques, not dipping necessity??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

When dipping, you will generally want to start with the lightest color you will be using because the dip will make it darker. If you want them dark then have at it. I personally think the Eldar will not look too great when dipped because they are not organic. Tyranids work wonderfully when dipped because the dip gives you the natural effect that dry brushing and highlighting just can't do. Conversely, the eldar look very good with dry brush and highlight because they call for a clean look. Best of luck to you and if you want to do the dipping then just try things out until you like the look of it.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

I'm going to agree with Dekendo here.

Dipping produces an uneven coat on the model - parts of it will have signifcant, visible patches where the dip gathered, and others will only be slightly darkened, akin to a brown wash. It have a very organic, and sometimes, decaying look to it. Fantastic for 'nids, Zombies, undead in general, Plague Bearers, Plague Marines, etc. Even races like the Imperial Guard could use it effectively. As could Necrons. The overall look is *dirty* though. If you want your Eldar to look like they've been in the trenches for some time, covered in the dust and dirt of the battlefield, then its definately the look for you. But personally, Eldar, like Space Marines, are not models I would chose to dip. They're too colorful, too uniform.

Try it out on a model or two and see if you like it. Remember, it produces a pretty heavy gloss effect, so you'll want to have some Matte Varnish on hand to get rid of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At a tournament a couple of years ago I saw a GW staffer playing with a dipped Iyanden Eldar army. As a table top army it was very presentable but the whole "dipped" look didn't suit the army imho, or at least not a yellow eldar army. Other colours schemes might suit better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play Eldar and Tomb Kings so here are my two cents. I dip all of my "raised" TK models and traditionally paint objects and characters. It gives my army a uniform look and let's me concentrate on the characters. When I paint for dipping, I paint it a shade or two lighter than you want the final color to be. My Eldar are all traditionally painted.

Having said that, I think that dipping could work for an Eldar army. It will give you quick shading on the bulk of the models, especially the portions you are leaving white to make wraithbone. You might want to go back when the dip is well dried and pick out details with traditional painting to make some things pop, like on your Farseers and Exarchs. Also, you might take places with sharp lines and do an edge type highlight to give a cleaner appearance in places. I'm thinking of armor plates and other large smooth surfaces that have edges.

Have fun!
    Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't want a "traditional" eldar paint scheme, kinda wanted my own design. I went with blue, green and a little dark purple (with some white coming in for DA's and Shiny Spears). As the blue and green are fairly light colored, I thought dipping would give them a slightly darker edgier feel... however, I want them to look polished, and if the dipping leaves them globby looking that would be no good. I may just stick with the paints I'm currently using, which give me a nice metallic gloss look anyway.

As an aside... I don't think white wraithbone is gonna work for my wraithlord and wraithguard. I've currently left it black. I know it really comes down to what I like, for my models, and how I've painted them, but if you had to pick (I guess fluff wise) would u leave them black, or would dark purple, space marine blue or an olive green be better.

I'm leaning towards the dark purple, if I change it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a light wraithbone works best, it tends to contrast with the big curved portions of the armor on various models. What if you shaded up from the black towards your purple using space wolves grey? I think drybrushing works best for that and the grey lightens purples nicely.

Also, dipping should be smooth but the dip has to be right. The other way to go is the new washes. Same idea, darkens and provides shading. I have seen VC and Daemons done that way and the shading is quite nice.

Homer
    Last edited by Homer S; January 14th, 2009 at 20:14.

+ Reply to Thread