Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I'm new to Librarium online and really to 40k in general, so I had a few questions that I hope could be answered.
Firstly, I'm really into the mekky, steamy part of orcs. I don't want to do a green horde orcs, being more interested in the dreads, kans, bikes and koptas. Is a mechanized army (with a few fast attack options) viable, and what would be the best options for an army like that?
Secondly, just got the AoBR set as a xmas gift to myself. I'm already planning to turn the AoBR dreadnought into either a killakan or deff dread. What would be the best purchases if I'm looking to expand my army, especially with looted/modded stuff? Also, are looted vehicles a tactically good idea in an army?
Lastly, I've seen some pictures on the internet with killa kans mounted on 40mm, 50mm, 60mm bases. Does the size of a base matter, and if they do why are kans mounted on so many different base sizes?
Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to going all crazy on the orky mekky bits.
Well first and foremost welcome! Out of all the forums and out of all the armies out there, I believe I speak for all my fellow greenskins in saying " 'Waaagh!' and thanks for choosing LO and Orks!"
Now you've made it clear that you don't want masses of boyz (green tide) but what about Speed Freaks? Do four to six trukks speeding toward the enemy sound appealling? Your deff dred/big mek crazy list is playable, albeit a bit more challenging than your standard green tide. Go for it!
So to business. I'll try to address each point.
1) Walker/Krazy Mek list- Well you've got one dred/Kan down, but you'll need plenty more. You can have up to 9 Killa Kanz and fielding two Big Meks will allow you two Deff Dreds as a troop choice. That's 11 walkers! I believe most people equip their big meks with a Kustom Force Field. Of course you'll need a few mobs of boyz to back it up, and take objectives, but the look on your opponents face when you field 11 WALKERS will be totally worth it. The Kanz can dish out some pretty nasty shooting with their improved BS.
2) What to add/buy- Well a battleforce is a good place to start normally. But I don't know if you'll find the trukks and bikes usefull with your list and concept. You might be better off just buying boyz. Oh and before Grax says it I'll just say it- Lootas. They fit your army concept perfectly and dish out some serious ork fire power. Your HQ of course will be the Big Meks.
And looted vehicles/battlewagons are perfectly viable as well. Just buy whatever Imperial vehicle (or Tau, or Eldar, or whatever) you want and orkify it at your leisure. From what it sounds like you'll enjoy the hell out of it. ( I know I did!) I've heard of people scratch building Kanz but I've never done it. I'd suggest doing so as walker armies cost a lot of $.
The Deff Koptas you got in Black Reach will serve your army just fine. You might want to get rokkit buggie or two as well. There has been some debate as to wether regular bikers are worth it or not. Now nob bikers on the other hand.... (an insanely fun unit to model and field.)
3) Bases- You can put a model on a base that's bigger than the one it comes with just not smaller. Some people like the bigger bases for modelling reasons. So yes and no.
My award winning Orky tale
LordTrebor's got it down, and welcome to the forum.
A Mek (mech) list is totally viable. You've got your Battlewagons, Kanz, Dreads, and everything in between to fit your mekky needs. One of the nastiest builds out there is the Battlewagon brigade, loading up on everyone's favorite AV14 vehicle and steamrolling the opposition. Buggies make for cheap fire support, Kanz are all kinds of awesome (try running them in front of your boyz to provide cover while covering said kanz with a force field!), Dreads are ok, and Looted Wagons are fun.
Lootas and Shoota boyz fit very well here too. Ork firepower is all about quantity over quality, putting out so many shots that armor is no protection.
Lootas and Boyz are the way to go, I'd only get the Battleforce if you want Bikes and a Trukk. A shooty Ork army is a beautiful thing and not always expected, it's a lot of fun.
Wow! Thanks for all the info and help guys!
I'm ok with bikes and trukks. What I'm not so keen on are too many boyz; I'm a very slow painter and a bit of a perfectionist, and the thought of painting more than 40 orcs gives me chills. And not in a good way.
Would battlewagons be better than trukks in this case? Would what should I be putting in them?
A very quick VERY rough army draft (I'm still waiting for my Codex to come in) is a battlewagon, maybe 2-3 trukks, with some boyz/nobz inside, with bikes and/or koptas as a flanking force and some kans and a dread bringing up the rear.
Where would the lootas be in this case? Would a mek with a KFF inside a trukk or battlewagon be a good idea?
i just posted a big mek list i've been using its by no means perfect but it should help you out with some ideas. its worked pretty well for me so far
That looks fine. You could do something like that and it should work pretty well. Battlewagons are hard to kill, Trukks are speedy and Koptaz/Buggies make good fast fire support. The Kanz might get left behind, but if you equip them for shooting they should get plenty of work done. Lootas are heavy weapon troops, so deploy them back and gun the enemy down.
With the KFF I'd deploy him with your shooty units (shootas, lootas, kanz) and make sure your vehicles start within range of it. That buys you 1 turn of obscuring, and 1 turn is usually all you need to get into a good position.
That's a good idea... thanks guys!
Now I just need to wait till my codex ships in before I go batshit crazy on planning my army.
Trukks and Stompiness... sounds fun. =)
Mek lists are a little trickier than they used to be, thanks to the 'Dawn of War' setup. Marching 9 walkers all the way across the field from your own board edge is no fun.
Dreads taken as troop choices help offset this, since you can place them halfway up the board at the start, but their poor aim and relatively high cost limits their effectiveness. I like using deff dreads with 2 big shootas and grot riggers. I also like fielding a single unit of 3 killa kans, with kmbs. It's the best unit the Orks have for dealing with those pesky terminators.
With mechanized lists you'll need 4 things:
1. A big mek with kustom force field, to give all your vehicles obscurement
2. Some fast troops, either nobz on bikes, meganobz in trukks/battlewagons, and/or boyz in trukks. You need these guys to claim distant objectives for you.
3. Grotts. Mek lists tend to have fewer units of boyz, and you don't want to have them sit in your own deployment zone for the entire game, just to sit on an objective. That's why I always like using at least a single cheap unit of 13-19 gretchin, either to distract my opponent or sit on objectives.
4. Bits. Killa kans are EXPENSIVE in real $$$. I say, to hell with it. Get some bits, plastic dreads, and convert away. Honestly, my killa kans were all made from barrels from terrain sets, extra guns and pieces of sprue. They're definitely on the small side, but they were infinitely cheaper than kans bought retail.
To answer your question, Killa Kans technically don't have to be on bases at all. They're vehicles. I've heard arguments on this one, but most people put them on 50mm bases. Mine were small, so I used 40mm.
"Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."