Super Rippers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Super Rippers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Super Rippers

I was thinking about this recently. I know that Hormagaunts are at best a side choice but what about rippers? For the same price you can get a 3 wound model that always gets a cover save. Sure it might not be that great but it's a save.

Here goes my rather crazy idea off of this. If you put almost every biomorph onto a ripper you would end up with something about the cost of 2.5 Hormagaunts that is stronger, higher initiative, higher leadership, tougher, and equal WS for that price. These would be incredible units as anti-charge or objective protectors as they will be getting a whopping THREE S4 shots EACH!! Sure it's a bad BS at 2 but with TL they seem like they would do well in either CC or range.

They would also be immune to instant death while in synapse. To me this just seemed incredible so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this idea and tried it. I'm gonna give it a go in my next match which will be in a day or so hopefully.

This also kind of went along with me trying out fully upgraded Hormies which actually did very well. 17 were able to take out two Tomb Spiders with a scarab a piece over about 4 combats.

I'm not expecting much entusiasm to the idea at first but please think about this and look it over before writing me off as an idiot. It really does make a lot of sense when you think about it.

Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by grantneodude View Post
    They would also be immune to instant death while in synapse. To me this just seemed incredible so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this idea and tried it. I'm gonna give it a go in my next match which will be in a day or so hopefully.
    No, they do suffer from instant death. Re-read pg 28, 2nd bullet under Synapse, last sentence.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its certainly not a horrible idea, its just one of those things where I cant justify taking those extra points and not buying Carnifexes, GS's, or a similar better unit.
    They arent immune to instant death and they die quickly to templates and combat resolution, they are troops but cant take objectives, etc. So, in a serious/tourney list I wouldnt take them, normally.

I have had good luck (with not upgraded rippers) in my friendly list using them as screens for gaunts (which then screen warriors, etc). For that job though, I would probably not upgrade them.

As for the super rippers, I would assume from your post (with unspecified 'morphs) you are looking at 26ish points. Perhaps, without the shooty bits, at about 23ish points they might be worth trying. At that level they cost about as much as a Genestealer and while they wouldnt be as effective, they would have a lot of attacks and leaping.

I guess its just one of those things I would have to try out before I knock it

Let us know if you play any more games with them and what the result is.
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

really nice idea there, but don't forget the wings, never do!

i gotta try that in my next game
    >:[

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Unlike the fugging little swarmy bastijes of Nurgle (aka Nurglings, which is too pleasant a name to call the little rules-broken jerks), our Rippers are instakillable like woah.

Plus, they are vulnerable to template weapons, and those are more common than ever in the "you never actually miss" world of 5th edition blast markers.

Cool enough models, but not a good investment in a competitive army.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

I too have a slight obsession with rippers. But it is true that they are regrettably kind of weak troop choices. i haven't used them since the new running rules though, which have lessened one of their biggest disadvantages (no fleet)... but they still die pretty quickly.

Okay, here we go:

1. Surviving the shooting range: Anything S6 and above insta-kills them, which means assault cannons rip through these squads like butter. And every friggin SM army has at least 80 assault cannons. Then if you combine this with their weakness to templates, you have ordnance which arguably insta-kills 2 bases for every 1 wound inflicted...

2. Serving a role in combat: And THEN, assuming they even reach combat (most likely because the opponent is too busy killing the dangerous critters to notice them), they'll have a glorious charge with 4 attacks each, and then proceed to bog down whatever they've attacked until A) they're slowly ground down, or you send some more effective nids to bail them out. At least they can be a mediocre tarpit unit, but the more elite the enemy (ex: powerfists), the worse the rippers can hold them down. and there's no point in tarpitting an enemy unless they're elite, right?

3. We have better units for any role: Unfortunately, no matter how you kit them out they will never be as efficient as genestealers when it comes to killing things. And despite their 3 wounds, their inherent weaknesses (no fleet, low T, no protection from insta-kill, vulnerable to templates) mean they will never be as efficient tarpit units as spinegaunts.

BUT, I have used them with some success with wings. Send a big cloud of them full-speed ahead, and the opponent is suddenly a bit intimidated by them. He'll have 1 turn to either waste fire killing them, or decide to ignore them and have them shut down a unit in a (expensive) tarpit for a few turns. With running rules, leaping should be just as good now, against all but the most shameless dangling-off-the-table-edge players.

But my big problem with them is that scuttling spinegaunts are just better at this job in every way.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I agree, I think Rippers with wings are probably the best kind of Ripper these days. The move is nice to get them in an opponent's face and they are fast attack. Normally Rippers need to use several troop slots and appear in several huge mobs. They tend to die to easy otherwise. But this eats up our troop choices and leave us with limited numbers to grab objectives with. It also means the Rippers with their big bases will get in the way of other models. I think the winged ones are good as they don't limit us in taking troops which are good for getting objectives etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

yes, the winged rippers are one of my favorite little maggots whit sharp teeth.

there fast, and whit spinefists they can shot! i usually run 6 of 'em it's 18 wounds!

and they're not limited to our other units movement liek gaunts, who could otherwise get inte way, or vice versa, but with the 12" move that aint a problem.
    >:[

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

while I like rippers, they are not really worth making your super rippers. the regular work just fine for getting in the way of your opponent or tricking them into shooting at them.

I like adding wings too.

The supper rippers are just putting too many points into them or you'll take away from something that you could be using. Like guants or a carnifex.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

+ Reply to Thread