Animal vs. Vegetable - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Animal vs. Vegetable

So I promised a friend of mine who plays Orks that I would help him maximize his army by building 1500 points of bugs to nibble his Nobz. Yeah I said it. Moving on! To honor his request I want to draw on your all's combined experience to put together a harrowing army to give him a Waaagh! for his money.

That said, what are some weaknesses of the Orks that I could play up to and exploit? He likes using a Trukk and isn't afraid to dump points into his units and run them non-vanilla. I have a feeling that he'll also be using his Ghazghkull Thraka which is quite the beast let alone that character's Meganob "troops" haha.

Lots of CC, lots of running at me, lots of cybork, Feels No Pain, and Waaagh!-ing going on in this one is what I'm looking at.

Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMorgs View Post
    So I promised a friend of mine who plays Orks that I would help him maximize his army by building 1500 points of bugs to nibble his Nobz. Yeah I said it. Moving on! To honor his request I want to draw on your all's combined experience to put together a harrowing army to give him a Waaagh! for his money.

That said, what are some weaknesses of the Orks that I could play up to and exploit? He likes using a Trukk and isn't afraid to dump points into his units and run them non-vanilla. I have a feeling that he'll also be using his Ghazghkull Thraka which is quite the beast let alone that character's Meganob "troops" haha.

Lots of CC, lots of running at me, lots of cybork, Feels No Pain, and Waaagh!-ing going on in this one is what I'm looking at.
    2x sniperfexes (VC will actually do something against the trukks since they are open-topped), 2x Dakka-tyrants (tool them up any which way), and 3x dakka fexes. I'd also take some stealers, they can be used to counter charge elite units to bring them down.

Strategy wise, I'd sit back and let him come to you. Don't crowd the front line.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

I hate to say it but you best bet would be (ugh) a shooty nid army. A dakkaflyrant will be a MUST HAVE, 8 shots at st 6 reroll fail to hit and wound.(real monster one partuicularly nasty thing i like to do is get him withing assult range, blow the pieces out of their infantry, then i run in for the kill.)

For what your going to be up against you should buy some carnifexes and make them dakka fexes, also you would need a armour pirecing fex as well. Next i would go with ALOT of spine gaunts, eventually if you shoot enough youll end up killing some models. Be sure to use the spine guants as a meat shield! If he has anything with any ap value at all he will be killing your big guys, therefore you will want some sort of cover save, and with the new 5th edition rules your spineguants will work perfectley!

Also you want some zoanthropes for synapse, and warp blast to obliterate their tanks. Other than that i will say this go with your gut felling on what to buy becuase if you just buy what we tell you and not get other cool models then the game wont be any fun.

Anyway good luck i hope i helped! Also if you have any questions go right ahead and PM me.

NiD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I kinda figured that I should just park myself and let him come up to me. It's not exactly a glorious nor cunning strategy, but if it works it works. I'm not opposed to having a few layers of Gaunts in front of Boom Warriors and Zoanthropes in front of Sniper and Dakkafexes/Tyrants.

General Battle Formation?
    (Numbers of units not to scale.)

GGGGGGGGG
    GGGGGGGGG
    ZWWWWWZ
    STDZDDTS

===Table Edge===

G=Spinegaunt
    Z=Zoanthrope
    W=Boom Warrior
    S=Sniperfex
    T=Dakka Tyrant
    D=Dakkafex
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Two things, the first and simplest is that orks aren't veggies. They're a fungus, not a veggie. Just felt the need to correct someone on the internet, it happens from time to time.

Secondly (and more importantly) unless you need them for backup synapse (which it doesn't seem like you do) or you simply don't have enough fex models to go around, I would bring a 3rd fex rather than zoies when facing orks. The large blast will wreak havoc on their horde running at you, and the veonom cannon really comes into it's own against the open topped trukkz.

Other than that, I think you've pretty much got everything under control. You can pump out almost as many shots as the ork horde on the move, and in addition to that you shoot more accurately and generally have higher stregnths or a reroll (or both). The last thing to keep in mind is that you should do your best to prevent them from charging your lines. Use fleeting gaunts or a mid sized group of hormies (~10-15) to deny them their evil charge bonuses. That coupled with 2-3 turns peppering their lines with dakka and you should have no trouble once they get to your lines.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would actually suggest the Strangler-Talons fex in the elite slot against Orks. That large blast is about as effective as dakka against tromping Orks, only it has a much better range and it can pot-shot trucks. In all honesty, 18" won't get you much shooting before that WAAAAGH hits home, especially if they're tucked behind your other troops.
    From the ashes, a fire shall be woken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah distance is good, especially because I'm pretty sure he's going to put Thraka and some Meganobz in the Trukk (with red paint of course) and barrel it at me, dumping him in front of my firing line. Aside from that I'm probably looking at some regular Nobz with a Doc, 'Ard Boyz, and some Kommandos with a Snikrot leading them. I like the idea of dropping the 'Thropes for another Carnie and making the second line of Gaunts the Horma variety to get a loverly 12" charge as he approaches.

It's nice that I won't have to worry about Killa Kanz, Bikes, or even a Battle Wagon (yet, anyway) but he'll probably Outflank a few Deffkoptas in there, too. I think my shooting might be able to take those down as well.

While technically fungi, they are most certainly not fun guys. Pun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMorgs View Post
    Yeah distance is good, especially because I'm pretty sure he's going to put Thraka and some Meganobz in the Trukk (with red paint of course) and barrel it at me, dumping him in front of my firing line. Aside from that I'm probably looking at some regular Nobz with a Doc, 'Ard Boyz, and some Kommandos with a Snikrot leading them. I like the idea of dropping the 'Thropes for another Carnie and making the second line of Gaunts the Horma variety to get a loverly 12" charge as he approaches.

It's nice that I won't have to worry about Killa Kanz, Bikes, or even a Battle Wagon (yet, anyway) but he'll probably Outflank a few Deffkoptas in there, too. I think my shooting might be able to take those down as well.

While technically fungi, they are most certainly not fun guys. Pun!
    There is a guy at our local gaming store who plays this list...and I have never beaten it...so if you do...let us know.

Firstly, you need to go first. If you dont go first...you are probably going to lose....

Secondly you need as many venom cannons and barbed stranglers as you can get. On that first turn you need to pop his trucks. If you can get a few of them, particularly the one with the meganobz, you will stand a fighting chance because now he has to hoof it while you cover him with BS fire, etc.

Remember most of his vehicles are open topped and your VC's can penetrate them (hmmm..that sounded dirty.....)

Oh....and when you set up make absolutely sure that he cannont set up multiple charges.
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will add 2 groups of 6 genestealers with feeder tendrils to give Preferred enemy to help those groups of spinegaunts and any non monster creature at 2" or 5cm and they can deal with thrakka if needed. Mybe i will drop synapse from thorpes if you are gonna be sitted at your table edge or if you don't want warp blast just drop the thorpes or try psichic choir does not work very well vs orks but is cheaper and you can be lucky.

General Battle Formation
    (Numbers of units not to scale.)

NNGGGGGGGGGNN
    NNGGGGGGGGGNN
    ZWWWWWZ
    STDZDDTS
    ===Table Edge===

OR

GGGGGGGGGGGGG
    NNNNGGGGGNNNN
    ZWWWWWZ
    STDZDDTS
    ===Table Edge===

N=Genestealer
    G=Spinegaunt
    Z=Zoanthrope
    W=Boom Warrior
    S=Sniperfex
    T=Dakka Tyrant
    D=Dakkafex
    Last edited by mente enjambre; January 4th, 2009 at 17:31.
    BEST ARMY APPEARANCE AND OVERALL WINNER OF A LOCAL GW RTT (29-7-06) GODZILLA/CHOIR 2K ARMY LIST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

One option would be to take a decently large squad of Spinegaunts and wrap them around your forces at maximum coherency range. This will make it so that your opponent can only attack one squad when he hits your lines. Be sure to pack in plenty of ablative wounds on that squad so they survive that Bs2 fire. Have Genestealers ready to countercharge, and when the spinegaunts get smoked, move up the Genestealers, blast away with your shooting, fleet the genestealers and then assault. Striking first on the charge will result in a lot of casualties, even with vanilla genestealers.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast