Librarium Online Forums banner

Thinking of starting a Eldar army and could use some help

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Dream Thief 
#1 ·
My older brother got the black reach box on the cheap and while he was home over Christmas we had fun playing. I got a small tau army when they first came out and i was using them but with the new rules and new codex i just couldn't find my feet in the games and a lot of the rules are odd or a bit broken. So i've been looking around for a army i like and eldar seem to have come out top in this respect.

Thing is i won't play that often and will mostly enjoy the panting and colecting over time than many games. Well unless i fall in to it more having an army. So i'm not looking to min max a list so much as have one i think it cool with the best looking modles.

So for that reason i've beenthinking about a center firing line made up of Wraith Guard, wraith lords and avatar, with some longer range units too. Then i'd have faster more moblie units along side since a center line like that would have to be rather static. If you can't tell i'm rather a fan of the way the Wraith stuff looks and while i know Wraith Guard are mostly seen as not being worth the points like i said before i want the best army i can but in a way i think is cool. Of course if i end up always losing the games i do play i can start messing about with better lists and such.

I'll be aiming for a 1500 list over all i think but not all at once... so i really do need some help with good lists for say 500 1000 and 1500 that i can adapt to the "fulffy" cool stuff i'm after... any one got some sugestions?

I have been looking a lot over the army lists already posted and i think with a few more days i'll be able to come up with an over all list i'm aiming for and a starting list for smaller battles but any help would be grate.

See less See more
#2 ·
A wraith army can work rather well but I would leave the 10 man troop choice unit at home unless you play atleast 1000 points any less and there simply are not enough points to fill out the rest of the army. After the avatar and a couple of wraithlords you will be low on points I'd say pick up a farseer with fortune as it can make the avatar or wraithguard extremely tough. Add in a second troop ( guardians, rangers, or dire avengers are all great ) and a bit of CC or speed and you have a fairly good all around army. which can sneak in at 1500. for 1000 you will need to decide on running an avatar multiple wraithlord or the big wraithguard unit.

#3 ·
honestly, i would just purchase the battleset. i know it's not what you want to do, but it does give you a rather decent starting line-up. actually, now that i think about it, i would look for the eldar army boxset. it's 175.00 and has a wraithlord, avengers, jetbikes, guardians and a falcon i believe. for 175 its worth it, and many sites offer discounts. if you would like, i can send you the link to a friend of mines store, he has fantastic prices, and is very quick. actually, i'll just message it to you anyways. anyways, after you get all that stuff put together, you can either play a few games first, just to see what you like, or you can do what i did and spend a shitload of money all at one time. it is fun that way. ummm, i would say pick up a farseer and an avatar with the boxset because i don't believe it comes with any HQ units. at this point, if you are sure you like the army, you could invest in some wraithguard. they are expensive, but if you like them, and you want to paint them, then i would say purchase 5 at a time. once again, i would recommend my buddy's website. hope that helps you a little bit!!

trav

ps-here is a link to the box set im talking about Games Workshop

#4 ·
For 1500 points thats not gonna get played a lot and looks SEXY? i've got just the thing.

Since you like Wraitguard so much, go ahead and buy 10 with a warlock. Theyre a troops choice and will hold down a fort well enuf.

2 War Walkers are nice, and you can make it symmetrical that way. 2 BL each and you have a winner when it comes to hunting tanks.

I'd go for a squad of Guardian Jetbikes. 12 if you can, 6 would be preferrable.

2 10-man Guardian Squads with warlocks. throw a scatter laser on them and watch hate fly.

Farseer with Seer Council. 6 warlocks, not too flashy, but still scary enuf to draw fire.

Lastly, 1 squad of Warp Spiders. 8 members will cause enough havoc amongst an opponent to drive anyone off their rocker.

If kitted properly, that's actually exactly 1500 points. I may give it a test run at my next battlegroup and tell you how it does.

Love to help

#7 ·
For 1500 points thats not gonna get played a lot and looks SEXY? i've got just the thing.

Since you like Wraitguard so much, go ahead and buy 10 with a warlock. Theyre a troops choice and will hold down a fort well enuf.
Wraithguard units are an elite choice. They are rather expensive ( 35 points per model ), and are only selled at one model per blister ( don't know the english or american price for them, but here they are 12,50 euro per model. Rather expensive to
buy if you want ten of them.

I would say:

Take a farseer, his psychic abilities are just lovely ( and we're the only one ( so far as I can think of ) who can ignore perils of the warp on a 3+ ( saved me alot of times :dance: ).

A 10 - 20 guardian defender squad will give you a solid troop choice. Yes, they have 5+ saves, but they come with an heavy weapon platform which can be fired on the move.
With a warlock and conceal they will be a little more durable.

As a second troop choice I would say a 10 man squad of dire avengers + exarch with dual avenger catapults, and blade storm ( 22 shots without bladestorm, 32 with bladestorm ). They have better armour saves, and a better range ( 12" for guardian catapults, to the 18" for dire avengers ).

Perhaps an howling banshee squad for a (counter-)charge ability? They come 16 points each and already have power weapons.

With this as a start, and if you play with them well, the eldar can and will be devastating.

I hope this will help.

#5 ·
im sorry, i thought you actually gave the advice of putting lances on a war walker....wait, u did!! ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, does anyone else think that this is a bad idea, or is it just me? lances are good, don't get me wrong, but with a bs of 3, they would be better equipped on something else, or, buying a fire prizm instead. actually, thats what i would do, buy a prizm, its a win win situation!! you save on money (45 instead of 60), and u save on points (around 115-160 depending on how kitted vs 180). with the extra points/money u could throw some extra stuff into the army.

trav

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys. I think from the looks of it my best bet is to pick up that army set. It's no available on the site right now which is annoying but i might hunt around for a better deal. I'm uk based in case any other UK players know of a cheap one going :) i'd rather not have to dump as much cash as that in one go on it but it covers all the bases and gives me a solid core to build the army i'm thinking of off it. With a farseer and an avatar and a few other bits it shouldn't cost all that much and i'll be able to table a balanced army if i want to... i'm still going to aim for a wraith based army in the long run but getting a grounding with a more typical army is a good idea.

Found a place that is selling it for £70 rather than £90 they sell farseers to but sadly not a avatar. I may put an order in for that next week if it's still there and i'll pick up some other bits from other places

#10 ·
Right boys and girls we have an interesting development. Since the Eldar Army box has been stopped i went to ebay to pick up thinking these people will have it in stock. I brought it from a shop there but it seems they go to other suplyers for there stuff and since it's finished they can't get a hold of it. So they offered me £120 of credit of a refund on my £90...

eBay UK Shop - Project Hydra: LOTR, Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines

Can any of you recomend a £120 worth of eldar stuff to pick out from there stock? or should i get a refund and try and find the army box elsewhere?

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

oh i'm likely going to be aiming for an altansar or ulthwe as my craft worlds. Won't be to fluffy and i still plan on being able to play a wraith based list but am going to try and get a balanced army in place first.

so far i've got
eldear battle force box (45) 10 Guardians + platform (16.2) 10 Dire Avengers + Exarch (16.2) farseer (7.2) which is £84.60 which leaves me £35.40 to fill out the list.

so that would be
farseer
20 Guardians + 2 platforms
14 dire + 2 Exarch
1 Warwalker
1 Wave Serpent

I'm not really sure what to add to that i'm thinking maybe another warwalker and spiders or a wraithlord/gravtank + spiders or some such. I can fit either 2x16.2 or a 16.2 and a 22.5 (a little over but i';m sure that will be ok) in to the 120...

But ya i could really use some ideas for a list for a good core army.

In fact looking at it it might be better to pick up 2 battle force boxs. That costs 97 then with a farseer leaving me 22...

#11 ·
You are absolutely right about the battle force. You would be getting everything you already have listed and then another wave serpent and a war walker on top of it. I would say go for 2 battle forces, a squad of dire avengers and a farseer. That would give you a nice solid core army to build from with four troop units (2 guardians, 2 avengers) two serpents to carry the avengers, a farseer for obvious reasons, and two war walkers to give you a nice heavy choice for small games. Depending on how much you want to spend, you could also add in a third war walker to finish the squad or just get yourself something pretty. :)

Best of luck to you.

#12 · (Edited)
ya i think that may be the best way to do it. I already have a box of harlequins from a gift too so i should have a not to bad starting force. I'm likely going to go with the 2 battle forces boxes 1 set of dire avengers a farseer and a warlock since i had 6 left and can get a warlock or jet bike for 5. I think when i have some more money an avatar and 1 or two wraith lords if only beacuse they look really cool and then i'll see how i'm playing and which way i can go but ya i think the 2 boxes are the right call.

edit:
That's a horridly messy posts sorry :(

anyway here's what I'm looking at

2 x ELDAR BATTLEFORCE £90.00
1 x ELDAR WARLOCK £5.40
1 x ELDAR FARSEER £7.20
1 x ELDAR DIRE AVENGERS £16.20
£118.80

So i'd end up with this to make an army with
1 farseer
1 war lock
20 Guardians + 2 platforms
18 dire avengers + 3 exarch
6 harlequins
2 Warwalker
2 Wave Serpent

not a bad start i think

#13 ·
I have bought the big box (Falcon & Wraithlord). With my lists being Hybrid upto 1k, bordering on Mech above this I am looking at buying the small box, as it costs roughly the same as a Wave Serpent & Walker off the shelf.

Amongst other models it comes with extra Dires, so I can turn my 2x10 Squad into 3x8 if needed.

Basically if you are looking to taxi small squads, and like Walkers - buying (small) Battlebox is a definate saving. If you feel you have enough troops, you can always sell the unwanted sprues on to recover outlay, and reduce overall cost.

#14 ·
If you're more into collecting, Look to forge world for your Mech and Avatar needs. It isn't cheap but the models really stand out. I have a FW chaos dreadnought with my Blood Crescents army, and it still draws eyes to it 5 years on.

I'm looking at buying some FW eldar things in the not too distant future too, I just need more ca$hmonayz.

~ L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.