First 3 games with Eldar! Where to expand to? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First 3 games with Eldar! Where to expand to?

So I played 3 games last week with essentially the Eldar battleforce:

Doomseer

10 Guardians w/ Scatter Laser

Walker w/ 2x Scatter Laser

Wave Serpent w/ TL EML

9 Avengers, exarch w/ dual cats and Bladestorm.

I gotta say, man I love this army! I'm coming over from playing Black Templar - which consists mostly of infantry spamming to accomplish its goals. I love the diversity of Eldar.

I played vs. Tyranid and tied, vs. Chaos SM and tied, and vs. Dark Angels and won. With the particular list it's kind of shooty - so most games were what I call the 24" dance of death. You want them within Doom range but out of assault range, then roll up with the Serpent, unload the avengers and bladestorm, while taking out choice targets from a distance with the scatter lasers. It strikes as a very balanced list for 500 pts.

So now I need to expand, I'm taking it slowly, so I'm looking at 750 pts.

First of all I can see a few mandatory upgrades - guide and spiritstone on the farseer, and the 10th Avenger. From there as the list goes up I suspect I'll need to deal with more heavily armoured targets.

That being said I also probably will need some more close combat punch.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Wraithlord for anti-tank/Monsters/Independants

Scorpions for resiliant CC vs. hordes

Banshees for fast CC vs. heavy infantry

or Harlequins for FAST CC vs. mixed infantry.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scorpions my friend are best against all but AP weaponary, as there main advantage is their survivability. If you face a lot of AP 3 them go for a banshee squad in a wave serpent.

Go another DA squad and maybe another guardian squad with scatterlaser

Adding warp spiders and Fireprisms as your army expands will fill greater roles in your force.

Main thing is never to over burden your forces with too my upgrades, weak toughness and fragility mean that an additional body on the ground will mean more than some 25 point upgrade on a farseer or purchasing a warlock body guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Perhaps a wraithlord with EML/BL for anti tank and a bit of melee? with the rest of the points another scatterlaser warwalker would fit in nicely and still have points left for the upgrades to the list you were thinking about. Spirit stones for your wave serpent and a warlock for your guardians might be worth a look also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really plan on expanding the Eldar army I have one suggestion: Buy 2 Fire Prisms.

The reason I say this is that you not only get 2 fire prisms, but if you build the model right you also get 2 Falcons. Its a great deal.

However, for just expanding into a smaller force I would say get another unit of Dire Avengers, many many many games/ tournies have been handed to me on the backs of those guys.

-V
    Veni Vidi Vici
    "The plan is to win, if we don't win its cause you guys didn't follow the plan!"
    Eldar: 25,000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you should get guardians in units of 15-20 Guardians in one squad for bigger games and if you take this many then its is worth taking a warlock with 15-20.

Also if you want this is just my opinion but i think EML's with Guardians are so much better than scatter lasers because you dont have to roll to hit, the EML causes pinning and you can get lucky sometimes by getting 3-6 models under that little template.

If you want reliable anti tank take fire dragons in a wave serpent. Do not give the exarch a fire pick it is pointless you it shoots 18" but theirs no point because you should put them in a transport.

lastly about the close combat squads. Scorpions are a all around type they dont need a transport because they can infiltrate or come from a table edge with the new 5th ed rule. I've never used banshees before so i dont knnow much about them exept the fact that if people see a unit of power weapons coming to them they will shoot everything they can to get rid of it. Then come Harlequins a unit that can take on both the roles of the banshees and scorpions. they have mass attaks and rending but you have to be VERY skilled to use them properly and take time to get used to and they got a bad save but once you get a hang of it they are amazing.

The best thing to do is play a game using different models to pretend that they are a certain unit and play a game with 1 of those combat units per game then after each game think about withch unit was the most effective and which one you liked most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little extra Anti-Tank would be a nice building point, the Wraithlord BL/EML combo being a good reliable and resilient choice.

On top of this maybe adding scorpions/spiders for an elite punch or some more guardians/avengers for more troops seems a good place to go.

It really depends on what aspect of the Eldar war machine is drawing you most as the Eldar can pick up pretty much any style of play and pull it off.

You can build hordes of Ulthwe lead by platoons of mighty psychers with not an aspect warrior in sight. Mechanised armies of agile grav tanks full of mighty aspect warriors and Immortal Phoenix Lords with low model counts but each warrior capable of facing down many enemies and still winning. You could take the Saim Hain road and have an army of jetbikes, vypers and mounted warriors, an Iyanden Ghost army of fearless and virtually unkillable wraith constructs, or you can grab bits of each and weld them all together!

I'd advise maybe proxying up a few models and try them out, think about how you'd like your Eldar to play then start picking the models that go with style. You can always expand your model range to include several as you go but ideall to begin with I'd get that initial concept and start working toward it.
    "ask not the Eldar a question, for he will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's one of the things I'm beginnign to love/hate about Eldar - pretty much every unit is great! Everything is excellent at the taskt it is built for, and it makes it very difficult to choose where to expand to.

Moving from a whats-that-who-cares-FORTHEEMPEROR-purgethexeno!CHARRRRGE!! Black templar style assault army I'm really enjoying the more shooty elements of Eldar. I'll have to playtest like crazy but my instincts are leaning towards another unit of Dire avengers in a Wave serpent, or the BL/EML Wraithlord. One is more anti-infantry (although gotta love those TL EML on the serpent), while the lord is more anti big single-unit threats.

I can see the appeal of the craftworld-themed armies. It's hard to know what to pick, so having the fluff dictate your choices makes it easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I find it's easier to choose what to bring if you follow a few simple steps.

Ask yourself these questions...

1. What unit do I absolutely love, and can't do without? example: Mine is the autarch. Forgoeing the normal tactical advantage of farseers and the durability of the avatar has made for some very interesting games. BTW: I take 2... just a thought.

2. What unit Do you hate, and will never grace the field of battle while your around? example: warwalkers... these just never seemed to fit into my plan and the look doesn't work with the rest of what I want my army to be.

Once these questions are answered the rest of the army falls into place.

Example: I take two autarchs equiped like warp spiders. This means warp spiders are a must! and following that I know I need more anti tank and anti hoard as the spiders are there to take care of the midle guys. This means I take Dire avengers packed in serpents with bright lances. What I need then in something to deal with close combat so scorpions are next in line. Then I have some points left over to fill in cracks with some heavy support if I need them and get a wraithlord or fire prisms. I can also use the extra points to fill in more dire avengers or a few pathfinders if I'm in the mood for more troops.

You'll get to know what units you trust the most the more you play and these will almost always do exactly what they are supposed to.
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I hear what you're saying.

I played 750 pts the other night with a proxied Wraithlord, and I think he completely rocked the table! Turn 2 he swatted a flying hive tyrant out of the air like a mosquito, then turn 3 turned around and opened up a chaos rhino with rockets and charged on the tasty passengers. He must have earned back double or even triple his points.

Sadly I don't think people will be making the same mistake twice - now that they know how effective he is against MC, IC, and vehicles I suspect they'll be denying his effectiveness in the future.

At any rate I think the lord gets the nod, but now I have to think about where to expand to 1000 pts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wraithlord is an absolute monster in CC. Not the most attacks in the world, but with max S and reasonable I for its size, it can cause a lot of pain to just baout anything. Only problem I have with mine is how much fire it draws towards itself. My Tau flatmate always aims his Railguns at it. Considering that his army never changes, this means that as soon as the WL gets out of cover and into plain site, he blasts it with 4 Railguns, 3 of which are Twin-linked. Needless to say my WL never lasts more than 2 turns in the open. Depending on cover, he might last longer. Beware anything with S10 as more than likely it is either a MC or an AP1 Attack.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast