Nids VS Necrons Plz help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nids VS Necrons Plz help

Hello All

I just started playing a month ago and I am in need of some advice. I usually play against my buddy and his nids. I get destroyed every time, no matter what i do. just looking for anything that will help i am so tired of losing to the point where I dont want to see another nid in my life LOL.

What I got's to play around with

1 lord
    1 nightbringer

1 lith
    3 heavy destroyers
    2 TS

3 light destroyers
    5 flayed ones

30 warriors

10 scarbs

Nids

Anything and everything. He can field close to 4000 pts, you name it he's got it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Destroyers are honestly the hardest hitting unit in our codex, I would recommend having as many around as you can. Against tyranids they are able to punch out most of the units he can field without trouble.

Having a solid warrior core should help, their firepower will often be enough to fell his troops. If not grab some immortals, they lay down a horribly wonderful blaze.

A lord with a ressurection orb will put you a long way towards surviving enemy assults with stealers/MCs.

Tombspyders are something I defend tooth and nail as a good unit, use them, throw them at anything except stealers/tyrants and they should win (try two for anti-carnifex). Scarabs are another great unit, use them to tie up

Heavy destroyers are iffy, I find they don't have enough accuracy to be worth using.

Lith would be a decent choice Nids are hard pressed against vehicles, ESPECIALLY the mono.

By the way, Welcome to LO. Hope you enjoy yourself.

You Can't Kill the Metal Stabby_McGee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x3)

Welcome!

I really agree with Alzer - Destroyers are worth their point cost in gold against nids. A group of 4-5 Destroyers can saw an advancing unit of Genestealers in half before they even see any action. And I'd really recommend picking up a Monolith (or two!). Last year I faced 2 nid players in a tourney and fielded 1 lith... It was unscratched in both games.

To save money you might want to try to find some gauss cannon bits online (bwbits.com, bitzbarn.com, ebay)so you can convert your heavies to and from regular destroyers (might want to look into magnets for this)
    Last edited by Stabby_McGee; January 15th, 2009 at 00:14.
    Necrons ~4500pts / Orks ~2000pts / Thousand Sons ~750pts

HOW TO LIGHT A MONOLITH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I have two trains of thought when i played against a tyranid opponent. My first thought was to maximize on firepower that he would fear such as the destroyers and immortals. As a result your phase out number is fairly small.

The tactic that i currently are working on (yes when im bored with school i do mathhammer in my head) is using two monoliths with three solid block of crons in between them. This way the monoliths can advance ripping into his lines with particle whip and the gauss. All the while your blocks of necron warriors (and the res orb lord) are waiting to engage at range. The thing to remember is if your gonna loose a combat, pull out. Veil or monolith teleport. It doesnt matter if you can kill a few nids if you die doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

Destroyers are your friends, their superior firepower, plus the auto wound on a 6 is great against the hordes of gaunts you'll be facing. I'd keep my monolith in the rear, hitting with the whip, and using the within 12 inches d6 hits if anything gets close, so that you can safely pull your necrons out of CC before they get totaly slaughtered if needed.

And as was stated above, the monoliths are great against nids, as they have a bit of trouble killing it, and if they do get in CC, they have to pray they kill it in 1 turn, else they get tore apart by its guns.

Best bet is to go with the tried and true phalanx and hammer, advance the warriors up with a res orb (those damn nids and rending sucks), in range of a monolith for a 2nd chance at WWB, and let your destroyers flank and bring the pain.

I'd only field the heavy destroyers if he's using a hive tyrant with tyrant guards, as those are a pain in the ass to kill.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth241 View Post
    Hello All

I just started playing a month ago and I am in need of some advice. I usually play against my buddy and his nids. I get destroyed every time, no matter what i do. just looking for anything that will help i am so tired of losing to the point where I dont want to see another nid in my life LOL.

What I got's to play around with

1 lord
    1 nightbringer

1 lith
    3 heavy destroyers
    2 TS

3 light destroyers
    5 flayed ones

30 warriors

10 scarbs

Nids

Anything and everything. He can field close to 4000 pts, you name it he's got it.
    First-off... I agree with the previous posts that you want Destroyers. As you very well put, "Light" Destroyers. These Destroyers are rather "Heavy" versus most 'Nid units.

Second, I'm curious what kind of mission did you play? All different missions or total annihilation? Because I think it makes a bit of a difference when your playing something like Kill Points or Objectives. If you decide randomly before the battle starts, this advice can be thrown out at the window immediatly.

Finally, you played some matched now, so you should be aware of the dangers and weaknesess of the 'Nid army. Try to take advantage of that. For example, when he fields a lot of Gaunts and a few monstorious Creatures, while playing Objectives, you should probably think about Destroyers and Warriors. When he does field more then a few Monstorious Creatures, you'll probably want Destroyers as well, and maybe you can even field those Flayed Ones to lock a certain MC.
    A friend of mine plays 'Nids aswell. I played one game with 5th rules with my Imperial Guard. I noticed that one of his Tyrants was very well at shooting. Somehting like 12 shots every turn. But when it got in Close Combat, it couldn't do that much. Every power has it's weeakness so to speak.

Hope this helped.
    Cheers!

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks guys I will give all of that a shot. The one thin about my opponant is that he dosent play nid like normal, instead of over run he sits back with most of his carnafex and tyrant and blast templates my troops. I will try that veil tip though and hope that he doesn't sup them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

I'm a Tyranid player myself and what your opponent have is a shooty Nid list. I'm using one too because it's a lot of fun... When I bring my Tyranid army to the table my opponents usually think it's going to be CC fest and all I do is stay 36" away and blast his troops away while screened by cheap troops.

Your opponent seems to have equipped his Carnifex with a Barbed Strangler (big template, S8, AP5 and Adrenal Gland (+1WS) for about 126 pts). That setup is quite cheap and really effective. He must also have a squad of Tyranid Warriors with Deathspitters (Small Template, S5 with Adrenalin Gland (+1 S), no AP). This one is deadly against any kind of troops.

The thing is, with the new 5th edition template rules, the Nids are a lot more accurate with their blast weapons even if they have a low BS. Usually it scatters but not that much... and they get to hit something almost everytime.

The first weakness of a Tyranid Shooting list is its range. The Barbed Stranglers have a 36" range and the Deathspitters have a 24" range. The rest of the army have a range of 12" at best. Also since the best AP in a Tyranid army is AP4 you will have all your saves and your WBB.

The second weakness is the Synapses. If there is no more Synapses creatures on the table the Tyranid army is lost. Synapses creatures are the Hyve Tyrants, the Tyranid Warriors and the Zoanthropes (if they have the Synapse psychic power). If you kill those you win.

So a good strategy would be to concentrate the fire power on his Synapses creatures. The lesser creatures that are not within 12" of a Synapse suffer from the Instintive behaviour rule (they lurk... and if they want to move they must make a LD test... at LD5...). Often the mistake people make is to concentrate their fire power on the expendable Gaunts that come at them really fast while the Tyranid Warriors make short work of anything in sight with their weapons.

I understand why you have trouble winning against such an army. The necrons have almost no range either and usually their numbers is very low. Also they are quite weak in CC.

The great strength of the Necron army is their Gauss weaponry. With rending, if you score enought hits against the Tyranid Warriors you should make a short work of them allowing them no save (except maybe a cover save if your opponent knows how to play his Nids).

The other Great Strength of the Necron army is its great mobility with Veil of Darkness and the teleport ability of the Monolith. If you can take a squad of 10 Immortals with the Lord in range of his Tyranid Warriors while not granting him a cover save you have 20 rending shots that won't allow an armour save... you should kill a whole Tyranid Warrior squad in one shot with a little luck since he will have at most 10 wounds in his squad.

Use your range and the Monolith Blast Templates. Protect your warriors with your Monoliths and the scarab swarm (intercept the faster CC element with them to tie them up). Use the Flying Circus to its maximum effect. Use the Heavy Destroyers to kill the Carnifex and the rest should be used to kill his Warriors. Get away from CC as much as possible. If something turn bad use the Monolith ability to teleport your Warriors away from trouble.

Here's the list I would take against a Nid player.
    1 Necron Lord with Veil of Darkness.
    1 squad of 10 Immortals (to act as a retinue for the Necron Lord and to perform the Flying Circus with him).
    2 squads of Necron Warriors.
    1 Swarm of 10 Scarabs.
    2 Squads of at least 5 Destroyer each.
    1 squad of 2 Heavy Destroyers.
    2 Monoliths.
    2000 pts.

That's it. Sorry if it's bit long. Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Thyr; January 16th, 2009 at 02:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    The great strength of the Necron army is their Gauss weaponry. With rending, if you score enought hits against the Tyranid Warriors you should make a short work of them allowing them no save (except maybe a cover save if your opponent knows how to play his Nids).

1 squad of 10 Immortals (to act as a retinue for the Necron Lord and to perform the Flying Circus with him).
    2 squads of Necron Warriors.
    1 Swarm of 10 Scarabs.
    2 Squads of at least 5 Destroyer each.
    1 squad of 2 Heavy Destroyers.
    2 Monoliths.
    2000 pts.

That's it. Sorry if it's bit long. Hope it helps.
    As far as I know, Gauss Weaponary is not equal to Rending. Gauss is Gauss and Rending is Rending. So there is a difference. Which means that a roll of 6 isn't automatically a wound when your target is not in cover. In other words, it doesn't get the AP2.

The list you got there is indeed pretty good againtst a shooting 'Nids army. 2 Monoliths that will be hard to get rid of, two maximum groups of Destroyers. A bit few Warriors for 2000 Pts. maybe. Especially when playing objectives on 2000 Pts. I don't think three troops choices would be overrated.

Don't worry, it wasn't that long!
    Cheers!

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gauss Weapons : any roll to wound that comes up a 6 is always a wound, regardless of toughness, even against targets the weapons strength could not normally hurt. Saving throws apply as normal

See page 14 of the necron codex for more info

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast