What happened to Burnas? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to Burnas?

Back in 4th ed and the old Ork book, Burnas were one of my favourite units, and they still are. But i've been looking at the lists posted on this site, and the armies I see when I go down to my local GW , and there are no Burnas to be seen. I personally think its a fantastic unit, with the ability to take down Guardsmen and Marines alike, although their footslogging/low numbers aspect is a bit worrying. I suspect there must be a reason, and I'd just like to know if taking my 10 Burnas is still a good choice.

Remember, fight like an ork, but never dance like one. Unless thats your thing.
    The Immortal Sons of Change (VC): 3-1-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizgran Grimgor View Post
    Back in 4th ed and the old Ork book, Burnas were one of my favourite units, and they still are. But i've been looking at the lists posted on this site, and the armies I see when I go down to my local GW , and there are no Burnas to be seen. I personally think its a fantastic unit, with the ability to take down Guardsmen and Marines alike, although their footslogging/low numbers aspect is a bit worrying. I suspect there must be a reason, and I'd just like to know if taking my 10 Burnas is still a good choice.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you if they're still a viable option, but if you don't mind me asking...what did they Used to be like??

Anyways, I'm sure you could still run them, but probably put them in a Trukk or some kinda transport. I've also heard that you can use their Burna weapons while in the Trukk and you can shoot them all in the same spot. So if you pull up to a bunch of Marines, you can fire all 10 templates out the front of the Trukk. I don't know it's that's correct or not, but someone was saying that at our GW shop and he thought it was pretty broken and unrealistic.

So, in short, I dont' know what they used to be like. I just started playing and haven't had a chance to use them, but I think they could be pretty good

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

5th edition happened

Long story short: 5th edition happened.

5th edition introduced two big changes: 2 out of 3 of the missions now involve claiming objectives, and now only troop choices can claim objectives.

This necessitates at least 4-5 troop choices in most lists, even if one troop is just a tiny one to claim an objective. With the orks, all the troop choices mainly focus on fighting infantry (rather than bikes or vehicles) and they're very good at it.

Burnas are also good against infantry, great in fact. As long as they have a vehicle they can race up and lay enough templates on an enemy unit to annihilate it, regardless of its armor save. If they're fighting marines, they can also assault and use their burnas as power weapons.

The problem is, Ork troop choices are already good against infantry, and like the burnas, they're short range. By the time you put all the troop choices you need into the list, you simply don't need any more anti-infantry units. You need long range fire, low AP attacks, outflankers, and anti-tank units. This is where warbikes, meganobz, deffkoptas, warbuggies, kommandos, lootas, killa kans, and big guns units come in really useful.

Ork armies just don't need burnas anymore, not when their troop choices work almost as well, if not just as well, and more importantly, claim the objectives needed to win the game.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; January 16th, 2009 at 02:25. Reason: forgot one thing
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for such a great response. I suppose I'll still use my Burnas for some fun games and the occasional one-off against horde nids or orks. Also, I didn't realize Burnas could use vehicles as it wasn't in their section of the list in the book.
    Remember, fight like an ork, but never dance like one. Unless thats your thing.
    The Immortal Sons of Change (VC): 3-1-1

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

They are great against 'crons, when you need a boatload of powerweapons to beat down their we'll be back. But otherwise it is like mynameisgraz said. If they were brokenly cheap they still might not be in most lists.

They are, however, really evil in a trukk or battlewagon since all of the burnas fire from the same hull point (see open topped rules).
    Last edited by RecklessFable; January 17th, 2009 at 02:11.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Burnas compete with Lootas and Kommandoz, that's what happened

Ork Troops are good enough for the entire army, so any other units are simply gravy.

Burnas' biggest problem is the lack of mobility and having identical stats to a normal boy. They need a transport or they get gunned down. So you have to dedicate a Heavy slot to mounting them up or steal a Trukk from your Boyz.

I enjoy using Burnas every once in a while, the new rules for placing multiple flamer templates alone make them worthwhile. Enjoy making 60 saves Tactical Squad Power weapons never hurt either.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--Me-- and Grax both made good points, but I also think one of the major differences from last edition and this one is that they are no longer core. In last edition, you could add them in as core choices that had similar purposes as the other core choices, but now, as Grax said, they are infantry killers that you would add after you already had 4-5 other core infantry killers. In addition, since they are no longer core, they are not scoring, and they can't have dedicated transports, so if they 'steal' a trukk, they can't start in it. One thing I have considered trying as of late since I like burnas is putting a large unit in a battle wagon.

+ Reply to Thread