Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey Guys I just started playing Orks. I play speed freaks, real speed freaks! that means no models on foot, Either a transport, a bike or Jump packs. So i have been playing a couple of test games and i have a couple of different unit setups i am a little uncertain about. so basicly i would like you to give a comment of your view on the subject. I think a lot of the questions are something loads of Ork players are going to find usefull, so please help out.
1. Warbuggies, in a unit of 3, or as singles ?
2. Stormboyz, Worth their cost in comparison to boyz in trucks? Worth Their fast attack slot? How big units Should you use?
3. Nobz, Are Nob Bikers to expensive for their punch/Ability to take a beating? Are Nobz Worth taking with a battlewagon? How many would you have in the unit?
4.Deffkoptas, Is it worth taking them in a unit? How do you use/kit your Koptas?
5. Trukks, How do you Kit your trukks? How many trukks with boyz Should you use?
6. Battlewagon, How would you kit your Battlewagon with/without troops in it? Is it Legal to Buy a Battlewagon as a Heavy Choice and have it carry a unit of Troops?
7. Looted Wagon, How do you Kit your Looted Wagon?
8. What do you do against tanks in a speed freaks army?
Here are my answers.
1. It depends on what they are armed with and how many slots you have open.
2. Personally I'm a fan of stormboyz but I'm starting to find that point for point trukk mounted boyz are better. Its really up to you.
3. Nob bikers are expensive but tough and hard hitting. I don't have much experience with them so Ill let others pass judgment on them. Personally I believe that Nobs are better off in a trukk because it is faster allowing to start smashing heads in sooner.
4. Deffkoptas are best taking in units of 1 or 5. Anything else and after 1 casualty they will run for the hills. For armament big shootas or rokkits are the way to go.
5. Never overload your trukks with gear. A common configuration is red paint job and ram.
For numbers it depends on what kind of an army your playing.
6. I have zero experience with battle wagons so again Ill let others pass judgement. Yes you can put troops in the wagon.
7. The best kit in my opinion is boom gun, big shhota and hard case.
8.Power klaws and rokkit buggies. Of course you could also ram them.
I hope this answers most of your questions. Please note that some of this is my own opinion so please keep that in mind.
Lets go massacre something
I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
1) Depends on how many slots you have. I'd put them together to keep your total KPs low, with everything in a transport you're already pushing it.
2) Stormboyz are quite good, go big with 20 and include a PK/pole Nob. They can run alongside your Trukks and provide some needed numbers.
3) Nob Bikers are awesome. They dish out ridiculous amounts of pain and can absorb a ridiculous amount of firepower. I had ==My== unit of 6 take the entire firepower of 1500 points of Necrons for 2 turns while retaining combat effectiveness. Nobs in BWs are a great way to get more BWs in the army.
4) Deff Koptas are faster Bikes, always useful. I run 5 with a buzzsaw, big shootas. They're relatively cheap, put out a ton of shots, and can even jump into combat if need be.
5) Keep them cheap. I use red paint and a ram to go fasta and help with tank shocking. I'd make sure to take plenty, they are rather fragile and 12 boyz can only do so much.
6) I run BWs either as troop carriers (deff rolla, armor plates, grot riggers, red paint, big shoota) or battle tanks (killkannon typically) carrying scoring Grots to remain a threat and protect ==My== board edge.
8 ) Powerklaws, deff rollas, rokkits, and powerklaws. Did I mention powerklaws?
1. I never run units of 1 warbuggy anymore. It's too easy of a kill point for your opponent to get, regardless of what list you're running. I'd run 2-3 with rokkits (they're awesome!). Scorchas aren't bad, but generally you don't want to get that close to the enemy, as most can tear the buggies apart. I never give them big shootas though. There's simply much better ways to put big shootas in the army. Wartrakks are nice, but it's up to you. I wouldn't give them any other upgrades though.
2. I'd only use stormboyz in larger games, 2000 points or more. Anything less, and you're better off adding more troop choices, like boyz in trukks. Stormboyz can be good, but they need to be in units of 15-20 with a nob, powerklaw and bosspole, otherwise they won't last. Just to warn you, they can be difficult to use effectively, as they tend to die easily no matter how many are in the unit.
3. Most nobz are good if you field them right and use a warboss (so they count as a troop choice). Nob bikers are awesome, especially if you field 5-7 with 2-3 powerklaws, painboy, cybork, wauugh banner, bosspole, and attach a warboss on a bike with powerklaw and cybork. Meganobz work well in units of 3-5 with combi-scorchas, fielded in trukks or battlewagons, especially if they have a warboss in mega armor w/cybork and a bosspole attached (or Mad Doc Grotznik, giving the meganobz cybork as well, but that can be expensive). I'm not a fan of units of normal nobz, as nob bikers and meganobz are a lot better. If you give the meganobz a trukk, I'd either hide them completely behind a larger vehicle, or hold them in reserve. Meganobz are useless if they're stranded in your deployment zone.
4. I never use deffkoptas in units less less than 5. I always just give them big shootas (no other upgrades), and I always outflank with them. I've found that if you give them buzzsaws, big bombs and/or rokkits they just aren't cost effective. Anything less than 5 won't survive. Many people like rokkits on them, but I prefer giving rokkits to warbuggies.
5. I agree with the posters above, keep them cheap. Always give them a ram (opens up the entire board for you), but instead of red paint, I've grown fond of stikkbomb chukkas. Speed freaks has a lot of trouble defeating other Ork players without them (of course, I play against a lot of fellow Orks, so this comes up a lot for me).
6. Yes, you can put troops in the battlewagon, but I wouldn't put normal boyz in there. If it explodes, half will be wounded, and then nearly half will die. I usually only put meganobz in there, or possibly normal boyz if Mad Doc Grotznik tags along. I'd try and keep the wagon cheap, since it's not a fast vehicle, so if you move 12in then you won't be able to fire. I usually give them a big shoota (always give them at least one gun, or they get immobilized on a 'weapon destroyed' result), grot riggers, and a deffrolla if you have the points/model. Some people like armor plates, but I think they're overpriced.
7. Boomgun, and a second gun, either a big shoota or rokkit. I give them a second gun so the unit isn't useless if the boomgun is destroyed by a 'weapon destroyed' result. I don't bother with an 'ard case. If your opponent really wants to destroy it, then he probably will. Just try and keep it obscured (within 6in of a big mek w/KFF would be ideal).
8. Lootas work great against anything with armor 12 or lower. I know lootas aren't exactly 'speed freaks', but I tend to use them in just about every Ork army, even if they're just providing cover fire. For armor 13 and greater, you'll need to race warbikes or trukks forward and use your powerklaws. Deffkoptas and rokkit buggies work well if you outflank or rush forward, and go for back armor.
Have you checked out the topic called 'the basics' in the 2008 Ork index? If not, I'd give it a look see. A few people and myself put it together as a guide for new Ork players.
In any case, good luck!
Ah powerklaws...is there anything you can't do? (besides attack at an initiative > than 1)
To quote Bernard Baruch:
"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." ^_^
1. I don't like warbuggies, because they are kill points, can't capture objectives, and their killing power is not high enough to make up for those.
2. I've never used stormboyz but they look good to me. 12+d6 inches plus annnother d6 for run makes them rediculously fast, but I agree with those above, always take high numbers and a PK.
3. Nobz are great. my nobz never fail to kill at least one unit, and more often 3 or 4.
4. I use a unit of two coptas, give 'em rockets and buzz saws, and outflank. they kick ass on tanks. they arnen't cheep but i think they're worth it
5. Reinforced Ram, red paint, maybe extra armour.
6. I would put 20 boyz in a wagon (as soon as i buy one). even if it explodes only 1/3 of them will wound. maybe make them ard boyz. and if you loose some, who cares! you're ORKS!
7. I can't see a reason to take a looted wagon as a transport. The only reason is the boomgun.
8. use coptas and pks against av13-14 front, against land raiders and such, use the warboss's pk. or the normal nob pks, but the warboss is s10, so he does it better.
--Famous last words of Asmodean
I have to disagree on a few of those points, SlayerOA.
1. Warbuggies are great in units of 3, and not too easy to kill.
4. Units of 2 deffkoptas with buzzsaws and rokkits would be 140 points. That's a lot of points for a unit that can die so quickly, and panic after just one of them dies. By comparision, a unit of 5 koptas with big shootas is 175 points, 3 rokkit buggies are 105, and 5 warbikes with a nob/powerklaw/bosspole is 165. I think all of those examples are much better than the 2 loaded deffkoptas, but it's up to you.
5. Extra armor on a trukk doesn't make sense. They're too easy to blow up to warrant them. You're better off scrounging up the points for another trukk than spending points on trying to make trukks last longer. With Orks, it always makes more sense to field more of a unit, then to make the existing units tougher. Their greatest strength, after all, is numbers.
6. (Nevermind, I was mistaken on this point)
You're right on about armor though. Practically nothing besides a warbosses Powerklaw is going to bring down something with armor 14 on all sides, like a land raider or monolith. That's why I like running warbosses in units of biker nobz, to give them a little more punch. If that's not an option, I'd honestly just try and ignore the land raiders, and just kill the rest of their army instead.
Last edited by mynameisgrax; January 16th, 2009 at 21:15.
Actually grax, since the BW is open-topped they'll be taking S3 hits. 1/3 to wound and saving means that 5/18 boyz will bite the dust. But how is getting blown up, it's AV14 after all?
Really? I may be gypping myself then. I thought it was strength 4 regardless of whether it's open topped or not.
If I'm mistaken, then it isn't that big of a deal, or it at least isn't any worse than a trukk. I still prefer meganobz in battlewagons though, since the wagon is usually the primary target, and they can emerge from the explosion virtually unscathed.