Starting from Scratch - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting from Scratch

Hi. First of all, I have learned so much already from reading this forum, so thanks. I am brand new to the game, a friend of mine introduced me about a month ago. I was drawn to the Tau immediately.

I have completed 1 full Tau fire team, and am almost finished a 3 man stealth team I am painting (They just looked fun to paint, so I bought them). But, I am a little lost about what my next "purchase" should be to work on. My goal is to build a small army first, so that I can at least begin playing some basic missions and learning the actual game-play while I continue to grow its size.

I assumed that in order to accomplish that, I will at least need a Commander HQ next? Is that the logical next move? And after that HQ, I was hoping to get some advice on what other parts of my army I need to fill in to at least begin some basic "low-point" missions and games.

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate reading all the information.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

The Tau Battleforce is as good a place as any to start. Devilfish, Crisis, some FWs, 3 Stealth, and some Kroot. Cheaper than if you'd bought them individually, too.
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by croupier3 View Post
    My goal is to build a small army first, so that I can at least begin playing some basic missions and learning the actual game-play while I continue to grow its size. [snip] I assumed that in order to accomplish that, I will at least need a Commander HQ next? Is that the logical next move? And after that HQ, I was hoping to get some advice on what other parts of my army I need to fill in to at least begin some basic "low-point" missions and games.

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate reading all the information.
    Well, first I have to say that you are approaching the game in precisely the right way. Start small, get to know the game rules a bit, learn how your army operates within those rules and then grow it as you feel is appropriate for your own gaming style.

As far as what you should get next, Psybomb has given a very good suggestion there, as you do indeed benefit monetarily by purchasing the Battleforce box rather than buying everything piecemeal.

However, I am just wondering if you have got a copy yet of both the rulebook and the Codex? Both of these have to be read together (probably Rulebook first!) because some of the elements in the codex will be incomprehensible unless you have either read the rules first, or at least have the book to hand.

As far as models are concerned, a Tau army has two units of which it *must* take one each. These are the Commander and the Fire Warriors; you already have a FW unit so your next (technically compulsory) purchase would have to be a Crisis suit. Now although GW does indeed provide a specific boxed model for a Tau Commander, it is not absolutely vital that you buy this particular box to start with. The difference in content between the Commander XV8 and the standard XV8 is that the Commander's box contains a couple of 'special issue' weapons, a couple of variant heads and some of the special issue wargear, all in white metal. While these are nice to have, they are not vital just yet. Many people will just buy a standard XV8 box and identify it as being a Boss with perhaps some panels being painted white or something which marks it out from the norm.

Psybomb's suggestion of the Battleforce would net you a Crisis suit (so compulsory Commander is taken care of), a second set of Fire Warriors which means you have your standard Force Organisation Chart compulsory choices of 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices covered, plus you get those other bits and bobs too.

If you haven't got a Codex (or a rulebook) then that - or those! - are your primary purchases.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Ah, one thing I forgot. As a general rule, it will be much (MUCH) cheaper in the long run if you magnetize your suits and tanks as you get them. It does not take very much effort at all, and the resulting list flexibility will be worth its weight in gold to a learning player (and twice that if you decide to go for tournaments where WYSIWYG s in effect).

I use these on shoulders and stealthsuit arms (and smaller, like FW/Kroot models).
    I use these on tanks and crisis/broadside arms.

I know that recommending conversion work is a bit much at this early stage, but my primary goal has always been to get into this hobby as cheaply as possible, so it bears mentioning. Also, this is dead easy to do (don't even need a drill, just the drill bits, magnets, some Greenstuff, and a steady hand). I consider it far easier than painting itself, though I'm sure that many will disagree (and, granted, it's far less forgiving of mistakes).
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend that you sit down and figure out what you want your army to do and if you want a mobile army or hybrid. Or if there is a particular unit that you want to have in your army (ie pathfinders or 15 crisis suits) and build an army around it.

If you do want hammerheads buy the skyrays instead. It has all the pieces to build a hammerhead or skyray. And if you don't glue the turret down you can swap between two if you want to.

+ Reply to Thread