the future of the wraith - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the future of the wraith

just a question

when i take wraiths they always die before they do any thing. i always take 3

in the next codex will there be anything to keep them alive longer i.e. better T, more W, or a bigger squad? please tell me if you know anything

I love my nuns with guns!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

There is no actual information, its all rumors

go check for rumors in the necron rumor threads (their are plenty of them)

In your fridge (your taste in food is tasty!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if they made them infiltrators like FO's then that would make them better

just my opinion though
    There is no "I" in "team", there is an "I" in "pie" however, as in "Meat Pie" with "Meat" being an anogram of "Team".

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Theres not anything wrong with wraiths really there great its just a case of knowing how to use them!

First off its timing knowing when to attack in the game will determainalot towards there life. untill you can attack without been hit after or shot to bits dont attack just terbo around and hide behind terrain. also dont attack unless the rest of your army is also there for back up / more pressing target than wraiths.

What to attack? What wraiths can attack and win / live against is tbh on there own limitied. There best for taking small units out such as heavy weapon squads. Anything with low armour will normally be made short work of but watch out for numbers anything with 20 or more in a squad should not be taken by wraiths alone!

Wraiths with there speed make them great really in a support role i normally shoot something as much as possible then assult with wriths.

Wraiths are terrable at taking squads such as termies or commander units (with exception of maybe eldar farseers)

So basic sum up wriaths = right moment of attack mainly supporting unit or taking out low armoured / small high priority targets.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well for small games I believe its not wise to turbo wraith since in a small game board when you boost youll likely bee assaulted and a 3+ cover isn't very useful when they have a 3+ inv they should slowly creep their way up the board while other units advance like immortals or destroyers (movin destroyers up always tricks my opponents into shooting them instead) so they aren't noticed as much.

and always use cover. pretty obvious i know but some enemies can be hesitant to charge wraith in terrain (has happened before )
    There is no "I" in "team", there is an "I" in "pie" however, as in "Meat Pie" with "Meat" being an anogram of "Team".

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xirmant View Post
    well for small games I believe its not wise to turbo wraith since in a small game board when you boost youll likely bee assaulted and a 3+ cover isn't very useful when they have a 3+ inv they should slowly creep their way up the board while other units advance like immortals or destroyers (movin destroyers up always tricks my opponents into shooting them instead) so they aren't noticed as much.
    When said about booting it is to keep them hidden in terrain and i also said about w8ing for your army to move up before attacking. The resons for not plodding along up the board are:

1. more chance to be shot at
    2. the amount fo manipulation thats wriths can do just by been somewhere is high and can isolate units etc making them worth sometimes more than there combat proess
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

Gedderz is on the right track. I use a full compliment of 9 Wraiths in one of my lists, and I've come to the conclusion after some 20 odd games that they are in need of a slight improvement with the next 'dex.

Wraiths are a highly aggressive fast attack unit. They are NOT a disruption unit. (That's your scarabs, and if that's what you want, you're better served taking them.) While 3 Wraiths can be relied on to pick off a single target before dying, they are simply not strong enough as a single unit to significantly effect the game - the points are better spent elsewhere if this is the route you're going. This is especially true in light of phase out. That said, at 6 Wraiths, they become significantly more destructive. At 9, your opponent needs to be scared.

The primary weakness of Wraiths is rapid fire guns. Due to their small squad size, they simply cannot stand up to mass fire. That problem is removed when you have more than one squad - it's rare that your opponent can direct mass fire against two squads, let alone three. WBB takes care of the rest.

While a larger squad size is probably their biggest need, the problem with Wraiths does not lie in their survivability, but rather, in their total effectiveness as a killing unit. Their S lets them wound on 2+ against 90% of the infantry in the game, and poses lethal threats to most MCs, which have a hard time hurting them in return thanks to their invuln. Their high initiative means they're going first 90% of the time. (Boo to you Genestealers, Harlequins, and Banshees.) This together is highly threatening. Here's the problem:

At WS4, most of the time, they're hitting on 4+. If you charge with 9 of them, you're getting 36 attacks. 18 of those will hit. 15 of those will wound standard infantry, and if its' MEQ, only 5 will die because Wraiths have no anti-armor of any kind. The remaining forces get to hit back now, and if you're outnumbered, or if they have a powerfist, or if they're any kind of halfway serious CC unit, it's going to be a problem. Simply put, for their points cost, Wraiths do not produce the results you would expect.

How can this be addressed? I've come to four options-

1) They need to be WS 5. This'll bring their hit numbers up and bring them in line with Destroyers, or comparatively, Khorne Beserkers in total efficiency. (KBs are still slightly better for the ability to take PFs.) Thus, for the price tag that includes the save, better hit ratio, fast movement and ignoring terrain, and FnP, Wraiths'll be about right. This is my favorite option.

2) Rending. It provides some kind of anti-armor against MEQs, which'll help turn combat res in their favor. Not terribly overpowered because the number of attacks to the single unit is honestly not that high. I don't really favor this, but it's probably the 2nd or 3rd best choice.

3) Power weapon attacks. Well, it'll make them super-ultra deadly. Do you want 75 point wraiths? That's probably a cheap estimate of what this'd cost. Least favorite option.

4) +1 base attack. Not quite as effective as WS 5, but it'd do - again, the weight of numbers on the dice would help here.

The other problem with Wraiths is the options you're giving up to take them. Destroyers provide the same level of firepower (3 base attacks for either model, one in CC and the other for shooting), an actual AP score, range, fast movement, and the enemy doesn't get to slap you back by default. Plus, you can take more of them than you can Wraiths.

The other option is Scarabs. Arguably the best disruption unit in 40K. Fast, highly annoying, and hard to kill. Cheap for their effectiveness too.

Simply put, Wraiths don't measure up to these two choices, pound for poind. They simply need to be *slightly* more effective than they are now to be worth considering.

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Wraiths could use

Larger unit size, things listed by SMann (Preferable rending at WS5), maybe wargear option like a gun or different CCWs and other upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x1)

Honestly though, I'd much rather see other units besides Wraiths get attention in the next 'dex. At least Wraiths are playable, and have room in certain lists. (Heck, a DLord w/ Warscythe, Res Orb, and Phase Shifter + 9 Wraiths is a freaking deadly combo.)

Tomb Spiders, Heavy Destroyers, Flayed Ones, and Pariahs need serious attention. (Easiest to solve being flayed ones - +Fleet, +Rending, -Deep Strike, -Move through Cover, -Terrifying Visage (or make it work on Fearless units), and keep infiltrate. Done.) Even Warriors could use a buff up, or some options - I've been hearing SnP thrown around, and I think it'd actually be pretty decent for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fair enough -1 rep for making myself look like an idiot

but then again thats my play style

+ Reply to Thread