Kitbashing, Converting, and "Counts As" Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Kitbashing, Converting, and "Counts As" Questions

Greetings Fellow Warbosses,

I have finally jumped face-first into the green tide, and I have to say I am loving it. The new plastics are great, and the codex is top notch. But, for those of you out there among the long-time faithful, I posit a few questions for you:

-- How well to the fantasy plastic components blend with the 40k plastic components? Would the fantasy warriors' heads mix well with the 40k torsos? What about vice versa? Are the arms and legs interchangeable?

-- Say I wanted to go with a "Snakebite" theme for my boyz would you let me convert up a warboss on chariot, and let me have it "Count As" warboss on bike? (I plan on using some old buggy bits for the passenger area)

-- I want to make a unit of 'ard boyz, but I can't decide if they should be shoota or slugga boyz. Any suggestions?

I am planning on getting a battlewagon. Do you have any recommendations for the other HS slots?

-- If my primary opponents are Astartes (Loyal and Chaos) and Eldar, what sort of things should I use to blunt their offense?

-- I have been reading up on the Theory of Ork warfare (such as it is) and there are things that look good on paper, but might not have as much of an application in the reality of the tabletop. What things are "Must Haves" and what would you suggest I avoid? Any stories about units that succeeded beyond imagining, or failed beyond redemption?

+++++

Current List:
    Warboss
    PK/Shoota

20 boyz
    rokkit launcha (x2)
    Nob w/ PK

20 boyz
    Big Shoota (x2)
    Nob w/ big choppa

20 Boyz
    -Rokkit Launcha (x2)
    Nob w/ PK

6 Warbikers

3 deffkoptas
    TL rokkit Launcha

Two Trukks
    -Fully Loaded (power windows and door locks)

+++++

Respectfully,
    --Forsaken

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Welcome!

Welcome to the Orks! Have you checked out the article in the 2008 Ork Index called 'the basics'? If not, I'd definitely check it out. A few people, including myself, put it together as a general guide to help new Ork players.

Fantasy bits are great for Orks. A common purchase for new Ork players is 2 boxes of boyz 1 box of Fantasy Orks, and a bag of round bases. You give the slugga/pistol arms to the 40k orks, and the shoota arms to the fantasy Orks. The fantasy pieces mix perfectly fine with the 40k ones, and make the Orks look really cool. You could even field fantasy Orcs as slugga Orks, but they won't have pistols (that may or may not matter, depending where you play).

I have no problem with chariots substituting bikes, but you'd have to clear it with your opponent. The more 'upscale' tournaments might get in a huff though. If it was a chariot 'pulled' by a bike, however, I don't see anyone having any trouble with it. ^_^

I don't like 'ard boyz personally, but if you do use them, they're best used with slugga boyz in vehicles, either trukks or battlewagons. Shoota boyz will probably be getting cover saves most of the time, and that's just as good as 'ard boyz armor. In fact, it's better.

Battlewagons work best as 'luxury' transports. I like running them with a big shoota, grot riggers and a deffrolla. Anything else is overkill.

I wouldn't overload trukks with options. They work best with just a ram, perhaps some red paint, and a stikkbomb chukka if you find yourself fighting other Orks a lot. The ram is a must, since it allows you to hide inside/behind cover, and then rush straight through it to get the assault.

The list doesn't look bad at all, but you really need bosspoles, especially in the units smaller than 20. They give a re-roll on leadership checks, and at their price they're a steal. I wouldn't use warbikes without them. I'd also give those warbikes a powerklaw, so they can hunt armor (their specialty).

Chaos usually isn't a problem, and normal Space Marines fold in close combat, but Eldar can be a big problem. Don't underestimate them in close combat, especially if they're 'fortuned', 'guided', or if you're 'doomed'. Try and take out their leaders, and gang up on their vulnerable units. They fold in close combat, but you have to reach there before they shoot you to pieces. Also watch out for those skimmers. They'll push you right off objectives at the last second (that move has cost me quite a few games against them).

Killa Kans and Big Guns units are great heavy choices, but I wouldn't buy either retail. I'd convert them out of bits.

As for overall strategy, it usually follows 'horde' or 'speed freaks'.

Horde armies use several large units of boyz, supported by lootas, a trukk or two (for claiming objectives), kommandos, outflanking deffkoptas, and most importantly of all, a big mek with a KFF, to give them all a cover save.

Speed freaks armies use several trukks, warbikes, Nob bikers, meganobz in vehicles, battlewagons, warbuggies and warbosses to bring the fight to the enemy as quickly as possible.

You can also use a balance of the two strategies (probably the best idea), but Orks have two main weapons: numbers and speed. Whether you win or lose will depend on those two elements.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    I don't like 'ard boyz personally, but if you do use them, they're best used with slugga boyz in vehicles, either trukks or battlewagons. Shoota boyz will probably be getting cover saves most of the time, and that's just as good as 'ard boyz armor. In fact, it's better.
    I understand Grax on this point, but I felt a urge to field heavy armoured orks. I usualy field 20 of those with a Nob (Power Klaw, Boss Pole). If they go for a walk, I put them in the front of my army. They are a pretty good bait and most opponnent will waste shots after shots into them, leaving my regular boys unscratched. More often, I have them ride a Battlewagon and rush them forward. Agains marines and the like, they are an excellent unit to throw in melee and pin the most important unit of your opponent. Up to now, this squad has killed many daemon prince, quite a few SM and CSM squads, not so much eldars, as they don't come out so often in my part of the galaxy, a s*** load of guards and many others.

Slugga and choppa are better than shoota on these.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

For fighting Eldar: Kill the head and destroy the fingers and they cannot win. Eldar need coordination between units to play effectively. One trick I've found is Eldar players tend to love one unit and it is generally a dangerous one, so I kill it first. Trust me if you kill it quickly they tend to fall apart in a sense. Otherwise Grax has listed everything I'd say. I'd listen to him, he is wise in the way of the WAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!
    Lets go massacre something

I am a sexy shoeless god of war!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lootas, they have a huge range, and great damage. They can cover you during the first couple turns while the rest of your army reaches the enemy frontlines. As a plus, they can handle light armor. Even though the d3 shots makes their performance vary, I find them to be one of the most consistent units for making up their points. And heck, even if your opponent is like my Tau roomate and focuses fire on them, that's still keeping the heat off your boyz.

+ Reply to Thread