5th edition Skimmer tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

5th edition Skimmer tactics

Ok so I'm just now making the jump into 5th edition (hey new job and all that )

Anyway obviously skimmer rules have changed notably. Any good ideas on skimmer use floating around?

Brightlances finally showing up on Falcons since you might as well only move 5" since you gain no speed benefit until going flat out? Other upgrades that are great (I'm inclined to still like the extra shuri cannon)

Are flight bases being chopped so the skimmers can better use cover to hide the hull while peaking over with the turret?

Or flight bases being glued on so the thing stays at height when immobilized?

Are they still really worth taking? On one hand they seem awfully fragile. On the other hand the shooty types should be good at getting decent cover saves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm by no means an expert, but by all the research I've been doing and input I've received that the Falcon isn't worth the points. The mobility of the Wave Serpent beats it in most situations.

I think, though, when a skimmer stop it's put flat, so it's not floating up in the air. As for when they are immobilized I think they fall and hit the ground. Again changing the line of sight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Lot's of questions to answer. Here's my take on some:

Skimmers are they worth it. Well as we don't have any non-skimmer vehicles you don't have a great deal of options here, but yeah I love 'em.

Falcon - a bit pricy nowadays cos the move and shoot rules have prevented it from shooting all of it's guns on the run. I think most people tend to run with EML now as that can be shot in the S4 mode and count as a defensive weapon.

FirePrism - gotta love the big blast templates.

WaveSerpents - What's not to like? Capacity of 12, Fast Tank, can take a hugh array of weapons and even has the Energy field thing.

With regards to flying bases, this is a double edged sword - If you make the base high you can see over some cover but obviously won't be hidden by it, likewise if it's low, you'll get more advantage by cover, but won't be able to shoot over it. Remember in 5th Ed it's all true line of sight.

Also if the base is high enough you can see under the skimmer as well.
    -------------------
    Check out my Blog for my Biel-Tan Apocalypse progress

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/blogs/daziel/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

ug. I hadn't even caught that defensive weapons are now 4 or less. Yeowch. Never mind the bit about the extra shuri cats. I guess unless I just don't move the silly things more than 6"...

Man that hurts.

Now to be clear the waveserpent doesn't actually have any advantage of mobility over the falcon even in this edition. It's just that with that defensive weapon nerf and the new vehicle damage tables reducing the effectiveness of holo fields it's that the falcon isn't that great at shooting anymore.

Hey wait, Can farseers Fortune vehicles now that they get cover saves? (Goes looking for codex).

EDIT: Also is there any relief or ambiguity again in letting farseers use psychic powers on units in a transport with them, or using their powers on the transport from within?
    Last edited by sunnyside; January 22nd, 2009 at 13:19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

the farseer can't use he's power inside or on a vehicle.

Fast vehicles can MOVE 12" AND shoot it's weapons.

i thought defensive weps only was S3 or lower, but hey that's good it's S4.

i like the falcon, it comes at good cost by my means, they get the holo-fields, which is better then energy fields IMO(except the anti-melta stuff.)

the prism is amazing, since it never "misses".

and i like scatter lasers and shuri cans on my vehicles and got them missile luanchers on other stuff, but that might change a bit now. ;D
    >:[

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the farseer can't use he's power inside or on a vehicle.
    farseers can cast non shooting powers within a vehicle now so there is nothing stopping him from doing this, and he most certainly can target the tank as its an eldar unit in its own right. 5th ed FAQ clears this up.

as for the flying bases, i dunno what kind of environment you guys play in, but strictly speaking the rules say you can only use the bases as provided so long stand or shorter one, and the shorter one is mostly pointless so its the higher one for me every time. Fire prisms are about the only thing i run on the shorter stands as cover is pretty important for them and they have enough range to sit back and utilise it easily.
    "Playing it safe is the most popular way to fail." - Elliott Smith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're just playing with friends, sure you could change the height of the tank, but it might be difficult to undo it if you were ever to play in a more competitive setting.

I feel sorry for tau players with the new defensive weapon rules. Unless they want to start mounting kroot weaponry, they don't have anything S4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Our tanks have lost the skimmers moving fast advantage but the changes to the damage chart has made tanks in general more durable so I think they are almost a wash. With holofield falcons and fireprisms are almost as hard to kill as they used to be. The defensive weapons as hurt the falcon alot as you can'teffectively move to drop off troops and shoot in the same turn.

Lastly a fortuned falcon that moved flat out will get a rerolling cover save then if those fail the opponent has to roll two dice and take the lowest this is probably one of the hardest targets in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing to look at is that if a skimmer move flat out it gets a cover save, however if it fails and gets immobilized then it crashes (wrecked) instead of lands. With vectored engines it just lands instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Conquahex View Post
    I feel sorry for tau players with the new defensive weapon rules. Unless they want to start mounting kroot weaponry, they don't have anything S4
    Yeah but its not like Tau were ever in the business of fielding gunboats like the Falcon. A Hammerhead is probably just gonna fire its main gun, a Skyray doesn't technically have to "shoot" its missiles in order to fire its missiles (confusing wording I know), Devilfish have only one weapon to fire, and nobody really uses Pirhanas anyway.

While I think that as far as raw firepower is concerned, the Falcon got hit the hardest with the new rules, then second would be the Imperial Guard. I fondly recall being able to unleash a big pie plate or 9 heavy bolter shots from my Leman Russ tanks... ah memories.
    I think you need to spend more time on your floor.

2500 Black Templars
    7-3-3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast